Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks like you need to tap the crankshaft position sensor Blue/Yellow wire to get the signal you need. Leads come from sensor on left side of engine.

This is a low level signal, k-bus data signal, which may not be wrong enough. A stronger signal might come from one of the coils.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Dumb question. What's wrong with the OEM shift indicator light (and gear position display)? That's all I use on my race bike ...

That aside, if the device is intended to operate on an ignition-coil trigger wire, that stuff is together with the ignition coils under the front of the fuel tank. On the low-voltage side of the coils, whichever colour of wire is the same on both coils, is the switched +12V supply that is common to both coils. Whichever colour is different between the two coils, is the trigger wire that is grounded by the ECU in order to command an ignition event.

I do not know if this engine uses true sequential operation (one ignition event per 2 crank revolutions) ... there is no cam position sensor, but if the ECU susses out which crank stroke is compression versus exhaust based on the fluctuation of the crank sensor signal, it wouldn't be the first to do that.

Don't use a fuel injector trigger wire. It will show zero during shut-throttle deceleration ... ("deceleration fuel cut")

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dumb question. What's wrong with the OEM shift indicator light (and gear position display)? That's all I use on my race bike ...

That aside, if the device is intended to operate on an ignition-coil trigger wire, that stuff is together with the ignition coils under the front of the fuel tank. On the low-voltage side of the coils, whichever colour of wire is the same on both coils, is the switched +12V supply that is common to both coils. Whichever colour is different between the two coils, is the trigger wire that is grounded by the ECU in order to command an ignition event.

I do not know if this engine uses true sequential operation (one ignition event per 2 crank revolutions) ... there is no cam position sensor, but if the ECU susses out which crank stroke is compression versus exhaust based on the fluctuation of the crank sensor signal, it wouldn't be the first to do that.

Don't use a fuel injector trigger wire. It will show zero during shut-throttle deceleration ... ("deceleration fuel cut")
The stock equipment can only be set for two parameters with the slp I can set 3.... more of a luxury than anything

·
Registered
1 Posts
heys y'all, kind of a derail but just want to ask if anyone knows or has links to LED headlight replacement "how to's" for a 2020 r3. Just thought it'd be a simple pull out and plug in like a car or any of the older r3 models but apparently not... maybe not searching the right thing or hard enough but can't seem to find any videos on changing headlight LEDs for 2019+ R3's.
Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Already has LED headlights as original equipment. I just checked the parts diagram, and it looks like each headlamp is a single assembly without replaceable bulbs. That's normal, for OEM LED headlamp assemblies.

So, your job is really easy. Nothing. It's already done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts