Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2020 r3 with around 4500 miles on it. I recently noticed a small oil leak coming from my left fork seal. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a mark or “chip” on the fork tube big enough to catch my finger nail right in the area where it was leaking from the most. And the mark is at the back of the tube near the top of the stroke so it seems very unlikely a pebble or something could have done that. I then realized the same type of mark on the right side fork tube near the front but this one isn’t leaking yet. My guess it’s a manufacturing defect caused by the machines they used to hold the fork tubes in the factory. I would be interested to see if anyone else has similar marks on their fork tubes. Decompress the fork as much as you can and check. In my case I was able to see the marks with the bike pushed a little extra hard onto the kick stand which decompressed the fork a little extra. I’m the second owner of my bike so I’m trying to figure out if the original owner purchased it over a year ago. If not, I may be able to get this warrantied. First pic is the left fork that’s leaking. Second pic is the mark on the right fork which isn’t leaking yet. Both marks look very similar and both catch the finger

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Let your Dealer get involved and deal with it before it goes out of warranty. My guess is the fork tube and seal need to be replaced to correct the problem.

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2022 Trident 660
86 Posts
Oh, if it is on the back side.... then not likely a rock.
But why wasn't it leaking before?
I just checked mine and mine doesn't have any scratches or leaks.
2020 ABS. 700 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It definitely wasn’t from a rock. The mark is at the very top of the stroke and is inside the fork 99.9% of the time. That area is only exposed when the fork is fully extended. And it’s the same mark on both forks. I brought it to a Yamaha dealer yesterday. I’m very anxious about leaving my bike there. I’m the type of person who always services their own vehicle and I’m very cautious of the paint and whatnot. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t let me make an appointment to bring it in. They basically just made me drop it off and said they will get to it when they have time... I think I’m going to call tomorrow and if they didn’t look at it yet I might just pick it up regardless and figure this out on my own.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I’m very anxious about leaving my bike there. I’m the type of person who always services their own vehicle and I’m very cautious of the paint and whatnot.
This. After dealers messed up my motorcycle years ago I stopped using their services entirely. There was nothing major mechanically but they bent radiator fins, lost plastic rivets, washers etc which just pissed me off. I had to order missing parts at my expense when I found out what they've lost.

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Yeah, I can loose my own fasteners and bend my own stuff. No need to take it anywhere for that to happen. My last dealer-induced mishap was a scuff on one of the fairings, deeper than the paint.. I'm guessing he dropped it on the concrete work floor. Not real happy about that one. What can you say or do? All they normally do is deny and insist it was already damaged.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Intersting post.... I have a 2019, with the same USD fork design. Your pics are REALLY good!!! That definitely is NOT a rock chip, and looks like the type of thing that would eat a fork seal in no time at all...... I'm gonna put mine up on the Pitbull steering head lift tomorrow, and check mine out as well. Thanks for the post-

·
Registered
363 Posts
I checked my forks, and I definitely don't have anything like you got...... Hopefully, Yamaha will make good on it-

·
Registered
221 Posts
I checked mine too and they look fine. I'd definitely take that bike back for inspection and a potential warranty replacement.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i got the call from my dealer and surprise surprise, they said they won't cover it because they are claiming it's from rock chips (n) I immediately called corporate and they said they can't do anything and it's up to the dealer if they want to cover it or not. I might take a ride over to the dealer tomorrow and try to talk to a tech about it, which is something they wouldn't let me do last time i was there. If they refuse to cover it, i will promptly leave them a nice 1 star review and resort to fixing this myself. I just did some research on repairing inner fork tubes and this looks like a good option to try first.
if it holds up but still leaks, I will attempt to rebuild the shocks myself with new fork seals. I may even upgrade the cartridges while I'm at it. Another option would be to buy another r3 with good forks, swap them over and resell that r3 :cautious:

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
I'd be really upset if my Dealer refused a warranty claim... without even physically looking at my bike and the problem. Good Luck getting things resolved..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts