Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
ZX25R pictured... Hehe. Close enough. I guess. I always thought the 25R was fkn awesome and would've loved to see it here. But the truth is that most U.S. buyers would never pay the premium for something like that over an R3 or Ninja 400. So a four cylinder 400 does make more sense for this market (probably for most markets...). Also, it's kinda bad ass! This thing is going to pump out like 70 horsepower and rev to 14k LOL! It could be great competition for 650 twins if priced similarly :)

Aside: "We suspect the ZX-25R will be announced along with the Ninja ZX-10R" (from the article linked above...). Oopsy...LOL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
About time! I was always jealous of markets outside the US getting small displacement inline 4’s. I don’t care for the extra power (though I wouldn’t turn it down), the main thing I really wish these small 250-400cc bikes had was a better sound than a lawnmower. I hope other manufacturers jump on board for more choices, this segmant of bike is where it’s at IMO.

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
186 Posts
About time! I was always jealous of markets outside the US getting small displacement inline 4’s. I don’t care for the extra power (though I wouldn’t turn it down), the main thing I really wish these small 250-400cc bikes had was a better sound than a lawnmower. I hope other manufacturers jump on board for more choices, this segmant of bike is where it’s at IMO.
The price of these is likely to be around the same as a ZX6R, maybe slightly less. If all you're worried about is sound, get a full exhaust and a tune, or just buy a used supersport 600 inline four. There's so much more to the ZX4R and ZX25R that makes it better than just sound. For me, geometry and suspension are my personal interests, as they're basically mini ZX6R in frame, swingarm, and suspension design. Combine that with not only increased power, but far superior power delivery, with a slipper clutch these will absolutely destroy any single or two cylinder competition. The real question becomes, how many organizations will allow this bike to be ran in the same class as the Ninja 400 and R3 at all, and if so what restrictions will there be. From bone stock (not even changing anything on brakes) with just a set of slicks, these will decimate a Ninja 400 on handling alone, let alone the massive gap in power. My guess is, it won't be allowed in supersport/super stock classes, and will only maybe be allowed in superbike classes, but might be as limited as a supersport Ninja 400/R3. What needs to happen is Yamaha needs to get it's hustle on and actually release the R4, but make it a triple or I4 to match the ZX4R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts