Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my first bike is 20 miles old, and its developing an issue after it warms up. Once warm I'll come to a stop [kickstand is up] and when I go to engage 1st gear the clutch feels like it has zero slip leading to the clutch dropping, bike lurching into a stall. The only way to take off is to give it some throttle which is unnerving cause the engagement is sudden no matter how slow I move the clutch [especially for a new rider]. At first I thought it was me [yes I am still learning the clutch] , but if it was why do I have no issues until it warms up? Any ideas, so far my thoughts are a sticky clutch [no idea how to fix] or poor idle speed. Engine oil level is good. After the latest event got it going again by pushing it 10 feet [thought the tiny hill I was on was causing an issue]. After pushing it, it started up and shifted like a champ again???

·
Registered
358 Posts
So my first bike is 20 miles old, and its developing an issue after it warms up. Once warm I'll come to a stop [kickstand is up] and when I go to engage 1st gear the clutch feels like it has zero slip leading to the clutch dropping, bike lurching into a stall. The only way to take off is to give it some throttle which is unnerving cause the engagement is sudden no matter how slow I move the clutch [especially for a new rider]. At first I thought it was me [yes I am still learning the clutch] , but if it was why do I have no issues until it warms up? Any ideas, so far my thoughts are a sticky clutch [no idea how to fix] or poor idle speed. Engine oil level is good. After the latest event got it going again by pushing it 10 feet [thought the tiny hill I was on was causing an issue]. After pushing it, it started up and shifted like a champ again???
Oil temperature/viscosity may have some effect on what you are experiencing. My "gut" says that you appear to be a new rider, and just need to get more experience with making it "smooth". There is a small possibility that the dealer didn't set-up the clutch properly. I find that to be unlikely, especially on an entry-level bike such as the R3. I don't know this as "fact", but I would think the clutch settings would be set-up properly during manufacturing. I've owned other "R" series bikes (R6 & R1), and the R3 is by far the easiest clutch engagement to work with. My best advise is to spend some quality time in an empty parking lot, and get to know the bike a bit more, before venturing out onto pubic roads.... Take your time, and try to enjoy the process :cool:-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try the lever adjust today it is set to the low end of allowable free play I'll go to max... And yeah it's tough to say is it me or the bike... On a flat should the bike have enough power to engage first without throttle? That's what's getting me sometimes it does, but not always

·
Registered
497 Posts
Feather in the throttle as you slowly release the clutch. Sounds like you are releasing the clutch fully without increasing the throttle, thus killing the motor.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'll try the lever adjust today it is set to the low end of allowable free play I'll go to max... And yeah it's tough to say is it me or the bike... On a flat should the bike have enough power to engage first without throttle? That's what's getting me sometimes it does, but not always
I wouldnt just go straight to max. I use the key, or 2 credit card method of clutch cable adjustment. Meaning when adjusted properly you should be able to slide your key in the freeplay opening of your clutch lever. Now i adjust it by feel. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts