Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my R3 on Saturday. I wasn't sure what to expect when I sat on it or drove it for the first time. My past experience is 10 years of riding scoots. I get on in the back shop where they got it ready. The first thing I notice is how it feels weightless to get off the center stand. That old Majesty took some real effort. The second thing I notice is how I'm sitting fairly upright for a sport bike.

I get it home and I'm scared to death. I've never done this before. I'm like a high school kid in the back seat of his moms Honda. I knew the procedure but I'd never put it into practice. I hop on, start the bike, drop it into first, say a prayer and slowly let off the clutch. I'm rolling through the backyard now at idle. Ok that was anti-climatic. Give it a little gas, go a little faster. Ok, this isn't bad.

I go out onto the street and give it a little more gas. Ok, now, squeeze clutch, reduce throttle, kick it up once, release clutch increase throttle. Ok got it. here we go. Ok, that wasn't bad. Now I'm in second. Repeat for 3rd and 4th gears. Wow, this bike is smooth.

I love it. Moving it around the carport and driveway is so easy compared to the Majesty, its just so light. The only bad thing is I had to buy a center stand for the R3 yesterday, the Majesty has one. But that being said, it's a fun bike. I just wish it would stop raining so I can take it to work.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good point about the weight for those who have to move motorcycles by hand. I am careful not to buy heavier bikes. The R3 is still my heaviest bike by a few pounds, but still qualifies as light for sure. If you still have your scooter, be careful or you might mash on the rear brake thinking it's the clutch the first stop sign you come to.

That was a long drive to buy a Yamaha. I have 4 Yamaha dealers within 60 miles, 1 is 6 miles away and 1 is 12 miles away. It helps to negotiate a good price when they compete too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can't believe you had to go that far to pick up your bike. I guess that is the privilege I have because I live in a major city.

Glad you love it and it was all worth it though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I drove about 125 miles to get my bike. Reason being, this dealer advertises that they don't add the "shipping and setup". They even came off the msrp a little, so all the was added was the title, tax and license fees.
Great people, will definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just like cwmoss, I didn't HAVE to drive that far. That's how far I needed to go to get a good deal. I have a Yamaha dealer 25 miles away, but I won't deal with them anymore because of the way they treated me last time I bought a bike from them. In fact, driving back with the motorcycle on my back, I drove right by the place and I stuck my hand out the window and flipped them the bird as I drove by.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts