Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for clothing advice for my location, which sees approx 320 days of sun per year, with temperatures ranging from around 35 degrees Celsius / 95 Farenheit in summer to 15 degrees C / 59 Farenheit in winter.

Average maximum throughout the year is 23 degrees C / 73 Farenheit, with very few rainy days.

All riding will be done on dry days, with the vast majority done on dry, sunny days.

I've looked at leather, perforated leather, textile inc Goretex textiles, Kevlar Jeans but I am struggling to decide!

Looking for recommendations based on Safety 1st, then comfort, looks and price.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I live in San Diego, so the climate sounds similar to yours. Sunny most of the year, and in the winter its only really cold in the mornings on the way to work at 630 in the morning. I used to ride with textile jacket, Kevlar reinforced/padded pants, riding boots, gloves and helmet to work

I put the textile in the closet and wear leather all year now, even in the summer when it gets hot.

For actual canyon rides, I swap out the Kevlar jeans with leathers, so full leather.

Been down twice in leathers and I dont think I will switch back to textile.

For brands I stick to Astars since my jacket is Astars and I need them to be able to zip together. That plus I was able to get heavily discounted items.

I do own some Icon overpants for the rain.

If yu are on a budget try CL, ebay or cyclegear for their Bilt or Sedici gear. Some people wont trust cheap gear but I have been down 2 times in the Bilt stuff and they held fine at 40-45 MPH. None of your gear will help you if you have it in your closet when you go down.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I live in San Diego, so the climate sounds similar to yours. Sunny most of the year, and in the winter its only really cold in the mornings on the way to work at 630 in the morning. I used to ride with textile jacket, Kevlar reinforced/padded pants, riding boots, gloves and helmet to work

I put the textile in the closet and wear leather all year now, even in the summer when it gets hot.

For actual canyon rides, I swap out the Kevlar jeans with leathers, so full leather.

Been down twice in leathers and I dont think I will switch back to textile.

For brands I stick to Astars since my jacket is Astars and I need them to be able to zip together. That plus I was able to get heavily discounted items.

I do own some Icon overpants for the rain.

If yu are on a budget try CL, ebay or cyclegear for their Bilt or Sedici gear. Some people wont trust cheap gear but I have been down 2 times in the Bilt stuff and they held fine at 40-45 MPH. None of your gear will help you if you have it in your closet when you go down.
Probably the best advice any rider could hear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I rarely wear my Vanson perforated leather any more, but it had plenty of airflow, without a windblocking liner it's too cold when the temperature drops below around 80°F / 25°C.

Most important is getting a light color. Solar heating makes an enormous difference.

I'd get an evaporative cooling vest for the hotter days, too. I've got an inexpensive TechNiche vest that's literally saved my life more than once.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I remember in MSF course they mentioned the best protection is your skin, so put another piece of skin on top of it, use leathers. Even though textile's are lightweight and flow more air, I've always stuck with leathers. Get a perforated one.

If you want protection, style, and air flow, I like the Dainese jackets. There was one I particularly like that was on CL but someone beat me to it, it was tan/brown, perforated. I think it was the C2 or something like that with Dainese written accross the chest. It looked freaking awesome on and off the bike. I haven't seen another one like it.

Unfortunately, I can't afford a new Dainese, so I got a perforated Scorpion white jacket and it's served my well. During winter in San Diego, a sweater or the liner will do fine.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I remember in MSF course they mentioned the best protection is your skin, so put another piece of skin on top of it, use leathers. Even though textile's are lightweight and flow more air, I've always stuck with leathers. Get a perforated one.

If you want protection, style, and air flow, I like the Dainese jackets. There was one I particularly like that was on CL but someone beat me to it, it was tan/brown, perforated. I think it was the C2 or something like that with Dainese written accross the chest. It looked freaking awesome on and off the bike. I haven't seen another one like it.

Unfortunately, I can't afford a new Dainese, so I got a perforated Scorpion white jacket and it's served my well. During winter in San Diego, a sweater or the liner will do fine.
This one maybe? EVO C2 Stripes model. Goes for $650 through multiple U.S. sellers. $430 plus $21 shipping through FCMOTO (currently out of stock in some sizes but can still be ordered)

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...se-Stripes-Evo-C2-Leather-Jacket-Perfora-0015

c2.JPG

Or this one? Dainese Street Rider. $679 through U.S. sellers. $402 through FCMOTO plus $21 shipping.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...angeAction=SaveLocale&ChangeObjectID=72347773

View attachment 18386

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Yes, the second one, only the one I saw was more tan and shinier than the brown one above.
Could just be the photo.

If you do ever order one, go up one size from what the Dainese size charts say to order since all European jackets run at least one size small.

Both are nice jackets......

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I use a MACNA CHILI mesh in the Summer. $109

http://www.fc-moto.de/Macna-Chili-Textile-Jacket

fury2.jpg

And FURYGAN DARK EVO leather ($373) and SPYKE COMMAND leather ($226) the rest of the year.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...Products/Furygan-Dark-Evo-Leather-Jacket-0006

fury1.jpg

https://www.fc-moto.de/Spyke-Command-GP-Motorcycle-Leather-Jacket

fury3.jpg

MACNA is in the Netherlands. FURYGAN is French. SPYKE is Italian. All are High End Gear manufacturers. Top Rated stuff, equivalent to Dainese, Halvarssons and Rukka.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts