Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've put just over 5k miles on my bike since September when i first picked it up. I know i'm not the only one with high mileage, but i wanted to just go over a few things after owning it thus far. If i was to rate this bike for somone wanting to seriously get into super sport riding for long term id have to give it a 10/10. This bike is so much fun for what it is. I use this bike to commute but also to explore various parts of new jersey. I own a 2015 infiniti q40 which is pretty fast, and i like riding my bike more than that! This bike has taught me alot, and that is one of the most important things if your serious about growing up into the 600 and eventually 1000cc super sports (which i plan on doing). I will end up selling this bike for a suzuki 600gsxr or 600rr repsol honda, however it is not because im bored of the bike it is because im stepping up due to practice and increase in skill. I want to follow in the footsteps of the real motogp champions, who went from the smallest CC to the highest CC sport bikes. I'm a street racer, I do not plan to track ride much in my "riding career", and this bike is the perfect one to start into. Sure you could get another 300cc ninja or whatever, but it doesnt have the character that the 320 yamaha engine and R series has. The bike runs strong, little to no maintence other then oil changes and making sure everything is on right. Despite the obvious lack of power, this bike is simply the best 300cc bike out there for sure. It attracts so much **** attention because it looks like a real super sport! I mean obviously its a super sport, but lets be serious its not doing 180 on the highway. Regardless this bike is not about going as fast as you can, this bike is about enjoying a super sport at a tame level. I can throw it around, drive it on the grass, pop a wheeelie, cruise, stand up on the bike. IT does everything a 600 or 1000 will do but scaled down and thats why i love my first bike.>:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Street racer? Seriously, if you want to be a real skilled driver, keep it on the track. Doing "racing" in the street will only get you kill, and put others at risk.

Anyways, I don't think is much of a review. But I do agree, since i'm new to riding as well, it's a great little all around bike.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Riding fairly hard on the street is fine as long as it's out of traffic. Take it to the mountains or canyons, not main street, and it's no big deal.

I don't agree with needing a bigger bike to practice though. I moved down in displacement so that I can practice skills as opposed to putting around at 1/4 throttle and still breaking speed limits.

The one thing the big bikes do have though, are top spec components. On the r3 the suspension is crudely basic, the brakes lack feel, and the stock tires are a big shortcoming. None of these are concerns on a supersport, or even upper tier nakeds nowadays. You can simply jump on and trust the bike to be far better than you are. A good rider will push the limit of the stock r3 pretty quickly.

I'd consider the r3 a great package for a beginner, or a good starting point for an advanced rider.

I've only had this bike for a month now so I can't speak on reliability, but I should put about 15k miles on it this year, so I'll know it very well.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I just reread my post and just want to clear any confusion before it happens. The bike is great at what it is, and at its price point. Great learning platform, amazing commuter bike, insanely easy to ride, and it takes some pretty hard riding to expose it's weaknesses. I have no problems with it until I get up into the mountains and am really pushing it. The positives definitely outweigh the cons, and almost all of my complaints can be solved with a few aftermarket goodies.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I got an R3 because it's fun, and comfortable for city riding in traffic. It's fairly cheap, and it looks great.
I like the instrument cluster, too.
The negatives are: softer suspension, picky gearbox, and crappy tires.
Engine power is good, for a 300-class machine. It likes to rev, which makes it more fun. The R3 is super light, narrow, and nimble.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I picked the R3 because I can't justify paying stupid money for a bigger bike with insurance.

The R3 is 785$/year which is AMAZING for Ontario Canada.

And I would say that 90% of the folks with 600+cc bikes on the street can barely scratch the surface of what their bikes can do. Apart from twisting the throttle in a straight line. (which any monkey can do)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I picked the R3 because I can't justify paying stupid money for a bigger bike with insurance.

The R3 is 785$/year which is AMAZING for Ontario Canada.

And I would say that 90% of the folks with 600+cc bikes on the street can barely scratch the surface of what their bikes can do. Apart from twisting the throttle in a straight line. (which any monkey can do)

where are you getting this insurance? I'm in Ontario too and there's not enough lube in the world for the quotes I'm getting!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Street racer? Seriously, if you want to be a real skilled driver, keep it on the track. Doing "racing" in the street will only get you kill, and put others at risk.

Anyways, I don't think is much of a review. But I do agree, since i'm new to riding as well, it's a great little all around bike.
I think your a little confused of what i meant by street racing. Its not literally track version of highway, it means i want to be amazing at riding in the streets. Ill never be a Simoncelli or a Rossi so I want to be professional on town/highway riding. Safety is of premier importance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is a cool exhaust, what brand?
Going 180mph on the highway is just stupid.
But I notice you have the stock tires on the bike, I just did my 4k mile service and through on a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs. Holly crap! a set of nice tires on this bike makes all the difference in fun-ability.

But I will probably end up getting a 600 or 1000 super sport. I am not sure if I will sell my r3, well not anytime soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Street racer is a no go if you want to live long. RIP rider from Mulholland last weekend. MY past WEEKEND RIDE .
I was here this day look at that 60mph he hit a pipe his other choice was some steel beams sticking out of the ground. I do the speed limit and have a blast doing it on this little bike. The Track is safest place to test the bike to its full limits and not kill yourself or some innocent person sharing the road with you.

This is what the rider posted who was on the scene. I was turned around by the Highway Patrol. Part of Mulholland was shut down for hours.
You will notice in the video he slows down when he passes the rider who went off the road.

Sad day today. I went out for an early ride this morning on Mulholland. Passed a group of riders and ended up coming up on them again after I had doubled back about 30 seconds after passing them. One of the riders on a new looking GSX-R750 had apparently ran off the road at approx 60mph and directly hit a drain pipe that was down a small bank. When I arrived the rider was conscious but restless complaining he couldn't breath nor feel his legs. We tried to keep him from moving while awaiting paramedics. Fire and an ambulance arrived and got him on a backboard and transported him out of the canyon and so that he could be airlifted to UCLA. I found out after the fact that due to the blunt force trauma of the crash, the rider had passed after arriving at the hospital.http://reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/4gan0u/fatal_accident_to_start_sunday_ride/d2fwlgp

I have 5000 miles bike runs great got it 911 2015

·
Registered
218 Posts
Street racer is a no go if you want to live long. RIP rider from Mulholland last weekend. MY past WEEKEND RIDE .
I was here this day look at that 60mph he hit a pipe his other choice was some steel beams sticking out of the ground. I do the speed limit and have a blast doing it on this little bike. The Track is safest place to test the bike to its full limits and not kill yourself or some innocent person sharing the road with you.

This is what the rider posted who was on the scene. I was turned around by the Highway Patrol. Part of Mulholland was shut down for hours.
You will notice in the video he slows down when he passes the rider who went off the road.

Sad day today. I went out for an early ride this morning on Mulholland. Passed a group of riders and ended up coming up on them again after I had doubled back about 30 seconds after passing them. One of the riders on a new looking GSX-R750 had apparently ran off the road at approx 60mph and directly hit a drain pipe that was down a small bank. When I arrived the rider was conscious but restless complaining he couldn't breath nor feel his legs. We tried to keep him from moving while awaiting paramedics. Fire and an ambulance arrived and got him on a backboard and transported him out of the canyon and so that he could be airlifted to UCLA. I found out after the fact that due to the blunt force trauma of the crash, the rider had passed after arriving at the hospital.http://reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/4gan0u/fatal_accident_to_start_sunday_ride/d2fwlgp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plH-iyoAwCY&sns=fb

Tragic. May that rider RIP. It's always disheartening, to say the least, to hear this.

To the OP: remember that this hobby's margin for error is extremely narrow. No matter how skilled one is, one can't control the plethora of variables (many of which can kill us outright) on the street. Also, often times, one's perception of one's skill is skewed. To put it bluntly, we're not as good as we think we are. Like Braunbear said, you can have plenty of fun without breaking the law. As mentioned, the track is the preferred venue to test your, as well as your machine's, limits. This isn't to say you can't practice off the track though. He!!, I can have fun in an empty/open parking lot, doing 20-25MPH and leaning the $hit out of the bike - lower, lower, lower, lower. If I drop it, or have a small slide, who cares? I'm wearing full gear, and the frame sliders will do their job. At least you're somewhat safe, you're not gonna run off the road, get run over, or any other phucked up hazard/scenario that awaits us on the street. Take it easy, be methodical/calculating out there. Is the extra speed/momentary thrill worth a life?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tragic. May that rider RIP. It's always disheartening, to say the least, to hear this.

To the OP: remember that this hobby's margin for error is extremely narrow. No matter how skilled one is, one can't control the plethora of variables (many of which can kill us outright) on the street. Also, often times, one's perception of one's skill is skewed. To put it bluntly, we're not as good as we think we are. Like Braunbear said, you can have plenty of fun without breaking the law. As mentioned, the track is the preferred venue to test your, as well as your machine's, limits. This isn't to say you can't practice off the track though. He!!, I can have fun in an empty/open parking lot, doing 20-25MPH and leaning the $hit out of the bike - lower, lower, lower, lower. If I drop it, or have a small slide, who cares? I'm wearing full gear, and the frame sliders will do their job. At least you're somewhat safe, you're not gonna run off the road, get run over, or any other phucked up hazard/scenario that awaits us on the street. Take it easy, be methodical/calculating out there. Is the extra speed/momentary thrill worth a life?
Okay let me clear up a few things. First of all i want to thank you guys for looking out for me, always nice to read and get advice from fellow riders. I should have said i want to be a seasoned rider on the street, meaning i want to rideto my fullest potential, do stunts and tricks and entertain people as well as myself. I love taking my bike downtown, popping wheelies and doing fun tricks infront of people. Kids love me, guys and girls either are mad or envy me and all the respect i get from riding really fuels my passion. I just want to be the best that i can be safety and skill wise. I also am not a sunday rider. I use my bike more than my brand new car rofl. I dont just hop on and full throttle twisties, I'm decently skilled and have alot of practice with riding vehicles of all sorts. That video you showed i will not watch, because the only crash videos i watch is from MOTOGP. I know the dangers, but i take street riding very seriously and sure i mess around but any skilled rider would.

That is a cool exhaust, what brand?
Going 180mph on the highway is just stupid.
But I notice you have the stock tires on the bike, I just did my 4k mile service and through on a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs. Holly crap! a set of nice tires on this bike makes all the difference in fun-ability.

But I will probably end up getting a 600 or 1000 super sport. I am not sure if I will sell my r3, well not anytime soon.
I will end up changing my tires to either the s20 evos or hopefully a dunlop Q3 comes out for them. The exhaust is a "shorty pipe" found it on ebay for like 30sh bucks. It doesnt fit the stock hole, so i had to make a custom exhaust elbow with a spacer to fit. Drill/tap a hole and there ya go, got a coolish exhaust for around 50 bucks. Sounds very nice and aggressive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That video you showed i will not watch, because the only crash videos i watch is from MOTOGP. I know the dangers, but i take street riding very seriously and sure i mess around but any skilled rider would.
I find that watching street crashes helps keep me honest, and to remember that no matter how skilled one is, anything can happen on the street. Gravel, potholes, other drivers, animals, etc. If anything, I watch the videos so that I learn from other's mistakes. Even if one is completely geared up, one bad random variable can put you in the ground. It's a harsh, but sobering thought, but one I believe needs to be in the back, if not forefront of one's mind.

Ride safe bro.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I find that watching street crashes helps keep me honest, and to remember that no matter how skilled one is, anything can happen on the street. Gravel, potholes, other drivers, animals, etc. If anything, I watch the videos so that I learn from other's mistakes. Even if one is completely geared up, one bad random variable can put you in the ground. It's a harsh, but sobering thought, but one I believe needs to be in the back, if not forefront of one's mind.

Ride safe bro.
True, well stated however I don't like watching them in general because it makes me feel bad. It is always on my mind that I can crash, but i focus on actually riding to my best potential and what i can do to avoid everything possible. Ride safe too man :)

·
Registered
218 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plH-iyoAwCY&sns=fb

**** I saw this on r/motorcycles the other day, didn't know you had posted it. Last week was full of seriously depressing posts, this video mixed with the 'i want to die on my motorcycle' and 'my friend just died' :crying:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts