Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving life!!!!

I'm a new rider of the older side of the coin, ( 45 and a mid life crisis in full flow )
I have one regret, that I did not get on a bike sooner, ahhh the wasted years!
**** I love this bike, hit the 3,000 klm mark this weekend and that's with me trying to show restraint.
I'm sure I got a car somewhere, come to think of it I'm sure I got a wife and kids somewhere too but I been a little busy.
Only problem I have found with the bike is it's really hard to get it in my bed without the wife noticing,
should be able to sort that soon, just waiting for my solicitor to get back in touch :D
Happy days all.
Stay well.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Too funny. I'm also old. I rode dirt for years. About 5 years ago, I switched to street. It's all good.
Better late than never. Truth be told, i'm glad I waited to get on the street.
I'm not sure I would have survived a literbike on the street when I was younger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep CBRpilot I feel the same, If I had been introduced to a literbike in my younger years I think I would have been pushing up daisy's a long time ago.
Going to be a fair old while yet before I get anywhere near one ( aside from being on the back of a mates one where he gave it so much beans I think we might have gone back in time a little )
But baby steps are the key.
Will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We are in the same boat, Kevinjc. Only difference is that I haven't ridden my bike as yet.
Welcome to the forum, everyone here is great, lots of information available!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I originally rode my first bike when I was... 21? I think. My (then) GF and I both learned the same day and we decided right there we wanted to buy motorcycles. But what happened was the very next day (or close to it) someone broke into my GF's car and tried to steal it. She had a club on and they tried to cut the steering wheel to get the club off, guessing their knife was crap so they gave up. Anyway, it was a reality check and we realized living in an Apt with no garage was not the ideal situation to own motorcycles.

Then not too long after we bought our first house and then it was time... oh not so fast, she got pregnant lol. All said and done we both did not buy our first motorcycles until the ripe old age of 38. Wow. Only took me 17 years.

Looking back, I am glad I didn't start sooner. First of all I was able to buy a "650"cc bike as my starter without killing myself, had a garage to greatly reduce likelyhood of theft, and right off the bat I used earplugs in which I am convinced had I bought my bike in my early 20s, I would not have been wearing any earplugs. Not to mention insurance is absolutely dirt cheap where I now own 3 bikes and it doesn't hurt to pay the yearly premiums on all 3. And as a final bonus, I wouldn't have the wealth of DYI info that the internet gives me had I gotten my bike back in...1999 or so.

I say starting to ride later in life has a great many advantages and don't regret that you didn't start sooner. You are ahead of the game in certain situations starting later in life.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I rode from when I was 20-25 and did well with it. I had a fast car for thrills and stuck to behaving myself when on the bike, mostly because the thing terrified me. LOL. I didn't take a class back then (pre-internet and didn't even know they existed) and knowing just enough to stay upright, I'm surprised I lived through those 5 years. My mom was trying to buy her first house back then so I sold my bike and chipped in on her down payment. After that, the girlfriend who hated bikes turned into a wife, and then kids came along.
Just last year, I decided it was time. I'm older now (46), slightly more mature, know my limits and because we only live once, had to take care of a few "mid-life crisis" issues. I took a class and bought only the best gear before I bought my bike.

I'll keep the R3 for another year or two and will then look into the last bike I'll ever buy. Really leaning toward a modern classic, like a Thruxton. I just need to convince my wife that I "need" a 15k motorcycle. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts