Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just did my 600 mile service about 200 miles early...
I decided to use conventional oil until my 1000mi. break in is done...
I went with Valvoline MC oil 10w40...
I have used it in past bikes with NO issues...
My issue now is after the change, I am missing shifts and it feels HARDER to get into 2nd and 3rd gear while UP shifting...
Down shifting is fine if not smoother, but up shifting seems very rough !!!
Oil level is one tick below the MAX fill line in the oil sight window...
From the factory it was WAY higher...
Before the oil change, I just had the normal new bike shifting...

Any ideas ???

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Some bikes are sensitive to brand and weight - I know one of my other bikes shifts better using some brands than others. Yours is first report of issues with Valvoline - anyone else using this oil??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YEP, its fine...
It got a bit better after putting 50 miles on today, but still nowhere as smooth as before...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Time to drain and put yamilube conventional in or go full syn, it might cost a little more coin but good stuff. I decided to switch to full syn on my second change at 1600 miles coming up this week. If anything feels funny to me I like to fix it right away.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted to wait until 1000 mi to put full synthetic in it...
Plus I didnt want it to sit all winter with new synthetic, since my riding season pretty much ENDS at the end of Oct.

UPDATE !!!
After running it for about 100 miles, its actually seems smoother than it was BEFORE the oil change...
I have absolutely NO clue why it acted this way...
I even pre filled the filter before spinning it on the bike and let everything warm up etc. before riding it...

I swear the first 50 or so miles with the new Valvoline was like someone dropped PEBBLES in my transmission !!!
It is 10x better now !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts