Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I was thinking about bringing my bike to the dealer to do the service, but really its just a visual, lubing various parts, and of course changing out the spark plugs. Now if i dont bring the bike to the dealer i can save alot of money and spend it on parts. namely the TST integrated taillight/bar ends/ fender eliminator/ frame sliders/ and new tires. My two concerns are this. According to this picture from jbluetooth is it only one plug that has the spark plug in it? Or do you have to buy two spark plugs?

My last concern is it says to adjust sync on the fuel injection? How hard is that to do and what does it mean? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not experiencng any problems with my bike in terms of performance. No rough idle, no lack of power, no hard starting etc. How necessary is it to resync the throttle body?

·
Registered
542 Posts
2 plugs, just pull up the covers and wrench them out. Should be very easy to see once you are actually doing it. Oil change is a piece of cake. I'd check the air filter as well, easy to do and you'd be surprised at the the crap that winds up in it.

Ive never done the throttle bodies, and didn't have issues. If you want to though, a Google search shows tons of diy ways. Just copy one and have fun. It just helps the bike run a bit smoother.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The proper tool to measure throttle body sync is about $100, but as cxa mentioned, you can build you own for much cheaper.

I'd be surprised if they were already out of sync at 7k miles. You'd be fine checking/adjusting them when you do the valve clearance adjustment.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Joseph, I already took off my spark plugs once, and it's just those 2 caps yellow marked in the picture.
I agree with the guys, it is not needded to perform TB sync now.
My friend has 9000 mi on his R3 and it runs perfectly normal without TB sync.
Good job!

·
Registered
227 Posts
i ended up not doing the spark plugs after talking to the place that teach the maintenance.
never noticed a problem with firing and all that. He said he barely do any plugs even over 100k miles on multiple bikes
My bike is currently at 12k miles and still using the one from stock, thought about ordering iridium but too lazy to do a swap

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 plugs, just pull up the covers and wrench them out. Should be very easy to see once you are actually doing it. Oil change is a piece of cake. I'd check the air filter as well, easy to do and you'd be surprised at the the crap that winds up in it.

Ive never done the throttle bodies, and didn't have issues. If you want to though, a Google search shows tons of diy ways. Just copy one and have fun. It just helps the bike run a bit smoother.
The proper tool to measure throttle body sync is about $100, but as cxa mentioned, you can build you own for much cheaper.

I'd be surprised if they were already out of sync at 7k miles. You'd be fine checking/adjusting them when you do the valve clearance adjustment.
Joseph, I already took off my spark plugs once, and it's just those 2 caps yellow marked in the picture.
I agree with the guys, it is not needded to perform TB sync now.
My friend has 9000 mi on his R3 and it runs perfectly normal without TB sync.
Good job!
Thank you guys for your input! Really did save me alot of money by not bringing it to the dealership, always a wealth of knowledge on this site! I thought it was waaay too soon for a TB sync, especially when the bike is performing well with no issues. Got some rainy days coming up, gonna do an oil change/ check the filter/ and probly just do out the spark plugs. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts