Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO.... what happened to you buddy?
Your old thread is gone, and you never gave us a report of how you liked your new 765 Street Triple.
:|
Nothing to say about it eh? Did it live up to your expectations? I guess we will never know.

·
Super Moderator
1,244 Posts
Well here are the predictable things I think most people would say (excluding style/cost/mpg): R3 is shorter/smaller/narrower and easier in urban traffic, easier to lug along at 5 mph. 765 is taller/bigger and more powerful, feels planted. There's more wind blast on the naked. Both are incredibly easy to ride, R3 because 38 whp, and 765 because electronic nannies. Assuming an R3 rider keeps the 765's rpms under 7k, I think the biggest thing is just that the 765 seat height is taller. Both rev to 12.5k but the 765's 1st gear is nearly twice as tall. The 765 still feels like a light bike, even though it packs another 35~40 extra pounds. I find the comfort to be about the same between both.

Comments unique to me: I warmed up to the 765 so fast, I only rode the R3 once after I bought the 765, before the R3 was sold (was spoken for in less than 48 hours after listing). I think I prefer the R3 mirrors where they are mounted forward and a little closer together on the front fairing where they don't move around like bar-end mirrors. After riding the taller bike, the R3 felt abnormally short, hah. I don't know how they did it, but the 765 does not cook me like my 600 engine did. I did add a 1x1.5" barback riser for slightly more upright position (my neck has challenges), and I have a 25mm lowering link on the way, just to try it out for convenience, since I'm not dragging knees and grinding pegs. If I had to commute daily, I think R3 is the more sane choice, it's just easy, cost effective, gets the job done. Weekend rider like me looking to get outside and unwind from the keyboard warrior career, it's the 765.

Basically I wanted to scoot around without wringing the engine to keep up or slightly outpace traffic. I'm much more relaxed with the bigger engine, not for the top end power, but for the low rpm torque. 765 isn't a torque monster relatively, but that was a conscious decision on my part for my own safety ("only" 750-class plus the electronic nannies.) I've read complaints that the ride-by-wire throttle response is not as abrupt/direct as the previous gen's analog setup, but that's exactly what I want, non-abrupt response, it's very smooth and stress free. I mention this because the FZ6R had a snatchy kick that kept me on edge and stressed out, and that makes riding a chore, imho. I guess I'm just a soft noob, lol.

Oh, there's no oil sight glass!!! There's a DIPSTICK so either you have to have someone hold the bike vertical, or get stands. That's my only wtf for a $12.5K bike, lol. I don't know how common this is, or the reason for it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically I wanted to scoot around without wringing the engine to keep up or slightly outpace traffic. I'm much more relaxed with the bigger engine, not for the top end power, but for the low rpm torque.
:laugh:
That's what I tell people all the time. People who don't understand why a literbike is the way to go.

About the "dipstick"... on an engine that doesn't eat or leak oil... you shouldn't have to check the oil level
everytime you ride. My CBR has a stick. No sight-glass. I still check it everytime I ride.

YOU don't have a rear stand? Shame on you. Put spools on that 765 and get a rear stand. Buy the Pit-Bull stand.
You can buy and sell bikes for years, but that Pit-Bull stand will be with you forever.

·
Super Moderator
1,244 Posts
YOU don't have a rear stand? Shame on you. Put spools on that 765 and get a rear stand. Buy the Pit-Bull stand.
You can buy and sell bikes for years, but that Pit-Bull stand will be with you forever.
Nah I just take it to the dealer to get the oil checked. Every couple weeks keeps it in tip top shape. They told me they do a 144-point inspection each time I come in. Best to have complete solid records for when trading in later. What's $125 twice a month for true peace of mind. Duh of course I have stands already!! But I had to wait for the 15mm pin to arrive (R3 was 16.5mm)

[Dude I'm being totally facetious!] But the dipstick is a pita concept, when one could just be glancing at a site glass.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah I just take it to the dealer to get the oil checked. Every couple weeks keeps it in tip top shape. They told me they do a 144-point inspection each time I come in. Best to have complete solid records for when trading in later. What's $125 twice a month for true peace of mind. Duh of course I have stands already!! But I had to wait for the 15mm pin to arrive (R3 was 16.5mm)
You take it to the dealer to get the oil CHECKED? :|
144-point inspection? Overkill.
$125 twice a month? For what? :eek:
You could have taken the 16.5mm pin to a machine shop, and let them put it in a lathe.
You don't need a "front stand" to put it on a rear stand and check the oil level yourself! :laugh:
Are you afraid of oil dipsticks?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
:
I have a Pitbull stand that I use with my R3 but when the bike is on the stand, the sight glass shows no oil. I'm not sure how good of a read on oil you'll get if the bike is on a rear stand

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Pitbull stand that I use with my R3 but when the bike is on the stand, the sight glass shows no oil. I'm not sure how good of a read on oil you'll get if the bike is on a rear stand
I checked mine on the ground, and then on the rear stand. Same level for me.
I think you need to add oil.

·
Super Moderator
1,244 Posts
I noticed that the Woodcraft rear stand doesn't lift the rear of the 765 very far off of the ground like the R3. I could adjust the front stand down to match, or I could get the adjustable Pitbull rear stand (and sell the rear Woodcraft). It's weird, Pitbull has the adjustable rear, whereas Woodcraft as the adjustable front.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I checked mine on the ground, and then on the rear stand. Same level for me.
I think you need to add oil.
Hogwash! Hogwash, I tells ya.

How far up off the ground is your rear tire when you lift the back end? My oil level is perfect when on the ground and cannot be seen in the glass when on my forward handle Pitbull stand.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
On a side note, the Triumph dealer called me about a week ago and asked me what my dream deal would be on a new '17 Thruxton R. We spoke for a while and the sales kid kinda laughed but said he'd get back to me.

They called today and met every one of my demands. We're currently at Defcon 2 and Defcon 1 is imminent.

If I could just get my wife on board now... (which is the only reason I'm not out there right now) LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,244 Posts
Thruxton R
I wouldn't mind having a Bonneville T120 or Honda CB1100 for some longer distance cruising, but it's not worth the cost for the couple weekends a year that I'd get to take an all day ride, plus the space and time to care for another bike. Maybe later in life ...

How about that new 963 pound Yamaha Star Venture that was announced yesterday? Air cooled 1854cc v-twin, electric forward and reverse, dual zone stereo, heated everything, touch screen and navigation, $27000!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How far up off the ground is your rear tire when you lift the back end? My oil level is perfect when on the ground and cannot be seen in the glass when on my forward handle Pitbull stand.
I think your stand lifts the rear wheel up higher than my stand does.
My rear tire is not that far off the ground. I have a pic of it sitting on the stand, but this
forum won't let me attach it to this comment. ( Cuz they don't want "file sharing" eating up their precious storage space. )
:|
( God forbid if someone had to buy an extra 4TB hard drive for $80 to store pics. )

My Pitbull stand has a rear handle. Swingarm has spools.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wife gave me the green light last night.
I might swing by the dealership this weekend and see what's what.
I want pics, and a full ride-report!
You better hope the dealership sticks to your numbers, because they won't!

You will go down there, and they will start smooth-talking you.
They want to sell you that bike... but NOT for the price YOU want it for.
They are shifty little snakes, you gotta watch them close!
They will try to "offer" you extra stuff, in order to get close to the deal you want.

Word on the street is: bike sales are SLOW right now.
Dealers are getting desperate, but they won't let go of their inventory for less than
what they need to get for it. Sales manager is probably sweating bullets.
He's under pressure to sell... but he can't go below the set markers.
:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I want pics, and a full ride-report!
You better hope the dealership sticks to your numbers, because they won't!
I was there about a month ago and spent three hours there looking at bikes. They told me they'd give me 3k for my bike in trade and I walked out.
They called me about a week ago and asked what I considered a good deal. I told them what I was willing to pay and what I considered a fair trade-in value on my bike. He said he'd speak to the manager and get back to me. He called me the other day and said they'd do the numbers I asked for.

If I go out there and anything changes, I'll walk. I love the Thruxton but I'm in absolutely no hurry. I like the R3 enough to keep it another year or two and I know that the longer I wait, the more value I'll have gotten from my R3 and I'll also have better chance of finding a better deal. If it works out, great. If they upset me in even the slightest, I'll thank them for their time and be on my way.

·
Super Moderator
1,244 Posts
Man that Thruxton R has a big torque number. Though I don't understand why it costs more than the Street Triple. Just popularity?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Man that Thruxton R has a big torque number. Though I don't understand why it costs more than the Street Triple. Just popularity?
The Thruxton name has always come with a price. Part of it is the 1200HP motor, some is the attention to fit and finish and part of it is just because of the bling. The Standard Thrux is around 12.5k, which is indeed steep. The "R" version is completely worth the upgrade though, as that gets you Showa, Ohlins, Brembo, upgraded tires and a few extra pretty bits and pieces. The 2K upgrade more than covers the Brembo upgrade alone.
It's just so freaking beautiful (if you're into that sort of look)

·
Super Moderator
1,244 Posts
Part of it is the 1200HP motor
Legit, who let them choose that for an engine model number, lol.

http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/754994-t120-dyno-results.html#post8293082

"Honestly I am not sure why they are tuned so different when the differences between them are so minimal. My opinion is that the extra power over the T120 gives Triumph a good reason to charge more for the Thruxton, when the base Thruxton shouldn't really cost any more to make than the T120.

Something not shown in a dyno chart is the flywheel effect that the T120 has over the Thrux. The Thrux crank is 45% lighter than the T120 crank. That means it spins up faster, but also slows down much faster. The T120 is more forgiving on take-off and happier at lower RPMs than the Thruxton engine because of that. My opinion is that the flywheel effect is the biggest factor in the character of the two engines in normal riding."

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/754994-t120-dyno-results.html#post8293082

"Honestly I am not sure why they are tuned so different when the differences between them are so minimal. My opinion is that the extra power over the T120 gives Triumph a good reason to charge more for the Thruxton, when the base Thruxton shouldn't really cost any more to make than the T120."
The T120 Black is one of three models I'm considering. They have one in the shop with a good amount of freebies on it, including Vance and Hines pipes for 12k right now.
Honestly, there isn't much difference in price between the T120 and the Thruxton once you equip them similarly. I like the more aggressive seating position and handling characteristics of the Thruxton more though. The T120 is sedated where the Thruxton is much more agile. That puts me into the 13k Thruxton range.

Then, you begin to look at those front brakes that the two models share (Nissin twin rotor front). Read a few reviews and watch a few videos. They all begin the squeal... a problem Triumph is aware of but not able to correct yet. I don't want a 12-13k bike that moans to a stop. Very quickly, the extra 2k seems to go a very long way. You can't even buy that Brembo kit for that, and then you consider the updgraded suspension as well...

They're $500 under MSRP on the Thruxton R and offering me 4K on the R3 (stock without mods). Not a bad deal as a trade. I know they need to leave a little meat on the bone so it's a fair deal.

It's pricey for sure but a good deal if I feel like getting back into debt again. That's where I'm at now... do I want to be in debt again. Quick answer is no, and then I look at the Thruxton again and within a few minutes, I'm thinking, "[email protected] right I do". LOL

My next several weekends are booked. If I make it out there this weekend and make an impulse buy, great. Otherwise, I'm already into August. By that point, I'll just enjoy the R3 for the remainder of the season and watch for killer deals during the winter.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts