Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2019 R3 new, its said the R3 is good for 110 mph +/- but I havnt been able to get much more than 95 mph. I weight 160 lbs

·
Registered
20 Posts
It should hit 110mph+ easy in stock form. Did you do any mods to it?
Edit:
I ride the south east asian variant, R25 (2015 1st gen) i weigh 135lbs & can crank it up to 190kph or 118mph indicated on the dash at about 13,000rpm redline.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a graves full system w/ tune and opened up the air box, ive since removed because the slight performance increase wasnt worth the noise. It is now w/ the stock pipe.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It will take a bit of "convincing" to get an R3 to 110+. It might not want to do it if you're going into a strong headwind or up a hill. Also, did you change the gearing on your bike? If so, that will throw off the speedometer.

I haven't had mine over about 105, but I wasn't trying to hit top speed at those times, and I found it quite easy to reach that point.

Some things you might check that could reduce performance: brake pads dragging on rotors, tire pressure too low or tire(s) excessively worn, chain tension too tight, air filter dirty, spark plug(s) with excessive carbon buildup and/or gapped incorrectly, throttle body synchronization out of specification...

Of course, there could be other things, but if you're tucked in low behind the wind screen and railing on the bike at full throttle on a flat or downhill highway for like 30 seconds straight and it still doesn't want to go over 95-ish, you might consider checking some of these things. Oh and to consider the obvious (which should probably be first...), those mods could potentially have actually reduced power; it might be worth returning all of that to 100% stock form (which it sounds like you may have already done).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All is back to stock except the air box that I cut out between the structual ribs. I have ordered a new airbox but Its coming from JAPAN so it will be awhile. The open airbox does amit a nice roar thats not extremely load. If the airbox is not the issue I will leave it open.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Have you checked your tire pressure? Low pressure equals a fatter contact area and more resistance, hence more energy. If you are a heavy rider, then low tire pressure will reduce your top speed even more. Think of a fat tire bicycle and compare that to the bicycle tires in the Tour de France.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you checked your tire pressure? Low pressure equals a fatter contact area and more resistance, hence more energy. If you are a heavy rider, then low tire pressure will reduce your top speed even more. Think of a fat tire bicycle and compare that to the bicycle tires in the Tour de France.
That's a good point. I only ever reach higher top speeds when i go on long distance rides, as i increase air pressure on the tyres by about 10-15 psi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only have experience with a 15, but when I bought it, it was running poorly and still easily cleared 100. I weigh ~165lbs and was fully tucked. Standard street tire pressure, not track pressure. Topping at 95 seems odd to me but I am pretty green with these bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts