Yamaha R3 Forums banner

95 mph top speed

16K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  cornerslider 
#1 ·
I bought my 2019 R3 new, its said the R3 is good for 110 mph +/- but I havnt been able to get much more than 95 mph. I weight 160 lbs

#4 · (Edited)
It will take a bit of "convincing" to get an R3 to 110+. It might not want to do it if you're going into a strong headwind or up a hill. Also, did you change the gearing on your bike? If so, that will throw off the speedometer.

I haven't had mine over about 105, but I wasn't trying to hit top speed at those times, and I found it quite easy to reach that point.

Some things you might check that could reduce performance: brake pads dragging on rotors, tire pressure too low or tire(s) excessively worn, chain tension too tight, air filter dirty, spark plug(s) with excessive carbon buildup and/or gapped incorrectly, throttle body synchronization out of specification...

Of course, there could be other things, but if you're tucked in low behind the wind screen and railing on the bike at full throttle on a flat or downhill highway for like 30 seconds straight and it still doesn't want to go over 95-ish, you might consider checking some of these things. Oh and to consider the obvious (which should probably be first...), those mods could potentially have actually reduced power; it might be worth returning all of that to 100% stock form (which it sounds like you may have already done).

#13 ·
The R3 Ymaha top speed is a popular entry-level sportbike that has gained a reputation for its impressive performance and agility. The manufacturer claims that the R3 is capable of reaching a top speed of around 110 mph (177 km/h), which is an impressive feat for a bike in its class.
it's worth noting that several factors can influence the actual top speed achieved, including wind resistance, road conditions, and the rider's weight. It's possible that your weight of 160 lbs may have a slight impact on the bike's top speed, although it's unlikely to be the sole reason for the discrepancy between the advertised top speed and your actual top speed of 95 mph.
Achieving the maximum speed on a motorcycle requires skill, experience, and adherence to proper safety guidelines and traffic regulations. Attempting to reach the top speed can be dangerous, and it's important to exercise caution and good judgment when attempting such feats.

#14 ·
At the track I've had my R3 up to 108 mph indicated and it was still comfortably accelerating, I just ran out straight track and had to brake.

I have no doubt that it would comfortably be able to add a few more mph based on the rate that it was still accelerating when I had to hit the brakes.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.