Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since they cover different topics I will just post them all here instead of making several post. Brief background on me, this is my 1st bike. I was waiting to take the MSF course before I jumped on it but my class got cancelled due to weather so I decided to practice myself until my rescheduled course in a few weeks.

Q1: The manual says the 600 mile maintenence should be done at 600 miles or 1 month. Well I have had it for about almost a month now and have only put about 15 miles on it. Is the 1 month just an estimate if you have put hundreds of miles on it or is it as solid as the 600 mile number to bring it in? If it does need to go in, I am nowhere near ready to ride it to a dealer anyway and even when I become comfortable it will be months before I get to the 600 mile mark due to life, kids work etc.

Q2: I am thinking about modding it in the future but am also thinking I may want to trade it in later as well. Do dealers usually take modified bikes as a trade or would I be stuck to selling it privately?

Q3: I am having trouble shifting smoothly. When shifting do I completely let off and close the throttle or just gently release?

Q4: When stopping on an incline my understanding is that its best to take off by holding the rear brake, giving gas while releasing the clutch? I found out thw hard way my 1st hill stop. Didnt realize it was a hill and down i went. Luckily i got my foot down before the bike hit the ground. Everytime ive practiced this way with the rear brake I keep stalling. What is the best way to do this?

Q5: Best way to wash it? I have motorcycle cleaner that requires water but i hear that u shouldn't use a hose with a certain amount of pressure?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Since they cover different topics I will just post them all here instead of making several post. Brief background on me, this is my 1st bike. I was waiting to take the MSF course before I jumped on it but my class got cancelled due to weather so I decided to practice myself until my rescheduled course in a few weeks.

Q1: The manual says the 600 mile maintenence should be done at 600 miles or 1 month. Well I have had it for about almost a month now and have only put about 15 miles on it. Is the 1 month just an estimate if you have put hundreds of miles on it or is it as solid as the 600 mile number to bring it in? If it does need to go in, I am nowhere near ready to ride it to a dealer anyway and even when I become comfortable it will be months before I get to the 600 mile mark due to life, kids work etc.

Q2: I am thinking about modding it in the future but am also thinking I may want to trade it in later as well. Do dealers usually take modified bikes as a trade or would I be stuck to selling it privately?

Q3: I am having trouble shifting smoothly. When shifting do I completely let off and close the throttle or just gently release?

Q4: When stopping on an incline my understanding is that its best to take off by holding the rear brake, giving gas while releasing the clutch? I found out thw hard way my 1st hill stop. Didnt realize it was a hill and down i went. Luckily i got my foot down before the bike hit the ground. Everytime ive practiced this way with the rear brake I keep stalling. What is the best way to do this?

Q5: Best way to wash it? I have motorcycle cleaner that requires water but i hear that u shouldn't use a hose with a certain amount of pressure?
I'll just answer those questions I think I know the answer to :)

Q3 and Q4 is just something you will get used to, and will improve with time. Hill starts are just they way you described, its a good technique. You say you have only ridden for 15 miles, no wonder you are having trouble.
When i shift gears i completely let off the throttle. But sometimes i give it a bit to rev match before i release the clutch. Just experience and find out what works best ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The oil change can wait as you haven't put any miles on the bike to warrant it. As for mods go for it. You won't really get much for them on a trade in, but if it makes you happy do it!

But the best advice for you before anything else is...........

1. Take the MSF course!

2. Take the MSF course!

3. Take the MSF course!

4. Take the MSF course!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wait for the oil change, you will soon start running up the mileage. Worst case scenario, change after 3 months.

Dealers will take trades with some mods, but you will be much better off by keeping all of your stock parts and swapping everything before trading in.

3 and 4 will be learned in your msf course.

Washing a bike is easy, there's no best way to do it. Garden hose pressure is fine, even with a nozzle on it. The only issue is something like a pressure washer, which can force water into places it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was in the same boat you were in, with really no motorcycle experience, but I did things in a different order: MSF course, riding gear, insurance, bike. Yes, I got the bike last.

Like others said, first oil change can wait....not really time based.

As for mods....I can't answer that. Your call.

Nr 3-4 you will learn with the riding course and with experience. I've driven manual transmissions for years so the concept of a hill start isn't too difficult, although I still did practice riding/starting off steep hills quite a bit to make it less daunting. Slow speed manouevering should be a priority (daily !) after you take the MSF course. If you commit to these, it'll become second nature, which is good especially in cases of urgency.

Point 5......Water is fine, just dont use a pressure washer or high-pressure hose too close. The book says to lube the chain after it gets wet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. And those 15 miles were spent circling the neighborhood and parking lots going no faster than 25 mph so it feels like 300 miles.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Since they cover different topics I will just post them all here instead of making several post.
A1: Wait until you get 600 miles on it. Don't worry about the time.

A2: Dealers will take a modded bike. They just won't add any extra value to the bike because of the mods.
You lose the money spent on mods.

A3: Welcome to the R3. It's a picky transmission. Go shift a Honda CBR for awhile, and you will hate your R3 transmission. :laugh:

A4: On a hill, I keep both feet on the ground, and I hold the bike with the front brake. I hold the front brake as I let out the clutch and give it a little gas all at the same time. As I let the clutch out, I am giving it gas and releasing the front brake all at the same time.
I never use the rear brake to hold the bike on a hill.

A5: WASH it ?!?!? :eek: ( Who does that ?!?!? )

·
Registered
290 Posts
Q1. My brother in law is a Yamaha tech. He says don't worry so much about the time, but the actual miles. Unless there is a huge time discrepancy, stick to the miles for the schedule.

Q2: Yes, they will still take the bike even if it has mods. Just know they will not add any value to the trade.

Q3: If I were to think about what I do (because its all automatic to me), I just quickly let go of the throttle, shift, then go back on the throttle. Time and experience will smooth out your shifting.

Q4: Exactly the way you described it. You need to give it more throttle than you normally do when you stop on an uphill. Go find a quiet uphill road and practice practice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This my first bike, but I'm surprised at the comments about the gearbox shifting behaviour. I mean, it's not perfect 100% of the time but I feel like that's more me than the bike. It likes being shifted quickly; the seamless shifts I pull off generally occur when I'm accelerating harder and keeping the revs up versus loafing around town. But that's just my expérience.....

The actual shift action seems better after I did the break-in oil change a few days ago though. Don't know if that + my choice of oil has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A couple of my buddies and old school riders constantly tease me about my R3 saying I mine as well gotten a scooter. It doesnt bother me, all in fun but im new to this, I have no comebacks. What do I say.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
A couple of my buddies and old school riders constantly tease me about my R3 saying I mine as well gotten a scooter. It doesnt bother me, all in fun but im new to this, I have no comebacks. What do I say.
Tell them the R3 is a loaner, your Hayabusa is at the shop getting a turbo installed.

:laugh:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Don't need to say nothing. Who cares what others think of your ride? If you could out ride them through some canyons, or better yet the track, rhat would be enough to shut them up.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Tell them to stick their opinions where the sun dont shine.>:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I want to know what kind of scooters they've experienced that can hit 0-60 in less than 5 seconds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All them how much they pay each month for insurance?

Or,

"Why would I need a big bike? I don't need to compensate for anything. "
Haha that was exactly the 1st thing I said. And that we all adhere to the same speed limit so I don't need a Hayabusa. But of course they continue to pile on.

Anyway I was reminded of my smart decision when I met my first stop on a hill and fell over. Luckily I got my foot down in time before it dropped. I was attempting to make a right turn at a stop sign and when it was time to go I stalled. So I walked back off the hill on to flatter ground. All while the car next to me was starring at me like "he's obviously a noob." So when it was time to turn this time, subconsciously I guess worrying about the hill i gave too much throttle and took the turn wide almost into the approaching car in the other lane. No doubt if it was a 600 I would have probably been a hood ornament.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, finally took and passed the MSF course. Had a nasty drop on the final day trying to practice stopping on a curve though. Bent up the bike pretty good but I bounced right off the ground without a scratch. Better their bike than mine. But to be honest, with the new experience and confidence I have gained during the course I feel the urge to move up. I have recently fell in love with the Daytona 675 and cant look at my R3 the same anymore. I would trade it in a heartbeat but like a noob I financed it not taking into consideration I would want something else so soon.

I wont do it tommorrow because I want to still get some practice in on the R3 but I also want to keep the miles down. Do dealers normally take trades for motorcycles if your upside down on a loan? Im pretty sure I will get screwed if I went that route but im kind of willing to take the hit. Or at least wait to pay it down to its market value.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You dropped a small 125 bike in the mfs class but you think you are ready to get a 675? And you want to keep the miles down on your r3?
Seriously - improve your riding skills before getting anything else. Rack up the miles on the r3. Being a better rider is the most valuable thing to have. Not a r3 with minimal miles..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lol this thread cracks me up ,dropping a 125 at parking lot speeds and wanting to trade for a bigger bike with less then 20km ride time .keep us posted with some pictures next time you run into trouble because you will fall again hopefully you still alive to share your experience

Sent from my HTC_0P9C2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
As an experienced rider, I just have to say I disagree with your train of thought, but to each their own. I'll try to offer some decent, neutral advice on the other points.

Dealers will take upside down trades if you can cover the difference, or you are financing enough to just add in what you owe. I just did this with my wife's car and it sucks. It was a purchase she shouldn't have made and hated the car, so we ate a pretty good amount of money on it.

Yes, the Daytona is the stuff of wet dreams but you don't want one Yet. The bike will still be waiting for you when you learn how to ride.

You don't want to learn on a supersport. Low clip ons and tons of forward lean make low speed maneuvers much more difficult than the r3 and msf bikes with risers or bars. Add in a twitchy throttle and you have a recipe for hundreds, if not thousands in damage when (not if) you drop it.

If you are heart set on moving up though, ride the r3 as much as you can until you pay it down enough to sell it privately and break even. This digs you out of your hole and will help you not kill yourself on the Daytona. The resale value of an r3 with 10 miles or 2000 miles is essentially the same.

The last point I'll bring up, and I don't want to be a dick here, but have you considered the financial situation? If you are upside down on the r3, which is just $5k, are you going to be good with the payments on a $10-15k bike with 0 down on it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts