Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new here but have been lurking for months now as I've been bike shopping. Of course, I was considering all the regulars such as RC390, Ninja 300, CBR300/500 and the R3. My decision to go with the R3 over the other bikes is another story, but I am waiting for my home town dealer to source a Raven instead of Red/White which is all they have in stock... Enough back story for that....

A little personal background... I'm an instrument, controls and analytical technician (though soon to be in a new profession) and I've been building cars/trucks/bikes for as long as I can remember. I'm coming into the sport bike world from Supermoto and have owned 5 of those to date but have been bike-less for about a year now. I'm very mechanically and electrically inclined and am interested in possibly offering my knowledge and skillset to other R3 owners...

1. I'd like to share my experiences with HIDs... I've installed countless sets (literally), both plug and play, as well as one off relay setups with/without custom projector installs... Out of EVERY brand I have installed. I cannot begin to say how pleased I have been with VVME HIDs. I have had the same set in 5 different Chevy pickups now, which is over 4 years of use and 40k+ miles. They are German engineered, but are built and shipped from China. They ship using DHL 2-day and are less than $40 bucks a set. They can be found on a few sites, but eBay and ONLY eBay is where I trust to buy them from (another long story). If you search for them, they will either have a red, or a black box. The black box slim ballast are the best IMO. Here is a link, but unfortunately at times they will go with a "bid only" option and no BIN.
EDIT: Tried to link, but post count is too low right now

2. I've also used many LED bulbs. Fan cooled as well as some cheaper options for other applications. The fan cooled are great bulbs. They do get hot in an enclosed cap, such as a CANBUS fixture (or an R3!), but I have not seen many failures even when extremely hot. Melting the enclosure would be the only scare, but the LEDs I have been using are not getting anywhere near as hot as some of the other brands. I would like to find someone who may have a few of the bulb caps I can purchase, so that I can plasti-weld the caps with an extension and offer them at a great price to R3 owners.

3. Dual bulb + dual beam option.... I see a lot of questioning about running 2 bulbs for low beam and still have a high beam option. Well, there is plenty hope! Running LED/HID lights you have the opportunity to run 2 bulbs through both sides of the factory switch without overcurrent... This will of course take a custom built harness, which I plan to design and build. How would you have a dual beam option you ask? Well, the H7 and H4 bulb mount the same. Except there is option to buy dual beam H4 bulbs, but not H7. The difference in the two bulbs are the prongs on the H4 and H7 are different. Once again, no problem with a custom harness. This would be an option for both HID as well as LED lights. I would want to include already modified light caps as an option so everything is literally plug and play. The LED option would be about double the price unfortunately but I believe many will still prefer the LEDs over HIDs.

Feel free to add your opinions to this. Anything is appreciated!

FYI, I do NOT work for anyone doing these things. I work a full time I/C job I just have a passion for this kind of stuff and have done tons of it in my spare time and definitely do not mind helping this community!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I see a lot of questioning about running 2 bulbs for low beam and still have a high beam option. Well, there is plenty hope!
How would you make the left headlight to be always on without blinding everyone since the reflector throws a high beam pattern?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question for sure. That's something I'd have to look into. If there's a will there's a way. A simple modification of the reflector would probably suffice but I will be looking into that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How would you make the left headlight to be always on without blinding everyone since the reflector throws a high beam pattern?
I read on this Forum to adjust the left light down from inside/ behind the unit to even the lights.

My self would like to have both lo beam lights come on together, just like I use both my eyes to see. First night I purchased the R3, and start it up for the wife. My wife Says why did you buy a motorcycle ? and how come there is only one light on ? I told thats how it is!! and when the high beam is on both are on. My answer to her about the purchase was because I wanted one. She's asking me who my new girlfriend is online right now as I'm typing this. I told her it's the R3 forum. And trying learn how to get both lights on. lol.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's not just higher. The high beam is not cut off flat across the top like the low beam. But maybe the adjuster will take it down far enough to leave it on during the day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not just higher. The high beam is not cut off flat across the top like the low beam. But maybe the adjuster will take it down far enough to leave it on during the day.
This may be correct, but I'm not sure yet as I haven't messed with one yet. I do believe the adjustment should get it low enough though. Previous projects just required aiming.

Would this work it's a light conversion kit to make lights come on 2 low and 2 High beam? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZF-...-H7-/131578768270?hash=item1ea2b4ab8e&vxp=mtr

I found these lights for the R3 on eBay are they any good ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/272006645747?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

That light kit would replace the bulbs I'm with HIDs but would not make both lights come on at once and have both beams still. It would still need a harness, such as I want to build.

Those lights look great. That's the first I've seen of them. Being projectors they would be perfect for the dual bulb + dual beam option. I may look into those lore in the future for myself. I really want to focus on building some harnesses and LED modified caps right now. I've been dying for a good project.

·
Registered
254 Posts
No hurry more choices on upgrades still being developed. Im going to start with ss braid brake lines-tail /eliminator-I would like a louder exhaust. Koyo 77 carbon full system with DB killer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Post up some pics junpower when you get that installed please! A how to with pics would be nice as retrofitting almost always has a couple challenges pop up. I'm also really interested in how the cutoff is on those as I'm also debating getting some for a winter project.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Post up some pics junpower when you get that installed please! A how to with pics would be nice as retrofitting almost always has a couple challenges pop up. I'm also really interested in how the cutoff is on those as I'm also debating getting some for a winter project.
2k4-8, I will post some photos of my retrofit kit and video. I have experience with these and in my opinion it's great. Here is an example of them installed on a RX7 (exactly the same bulbs/projectors/ballast/harness). The cutoff is perfect and actually these are brighter then a Benz or Audi with HID lights. The projectors have a lower cut off shield and high beam shield. Nothing beats a true HID projector kit but it does take a little work. Ballasts are morimoto mini 35W, very reliable and won't blow like other cheap ballasts. I may have to cut off all of the original reflectors and build new backing for them, will find out in a few weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts