Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock handlebar dampers are inside the bar. They reduce vibration using inertial resistance (weight) and moment conversion (linear motion to rotational motion). This is why they spin. The end cap is not the damper, it's just a grip cap, which plays a very small role in vibration control. Don't be fooled by the fake dampers sold that are essentially just bar end plugs mounted with a rubber stopper. Real dampers mount inside the bars, have some weight to them and movement internally, and frequently include an elastomer to isolate and absorb movement.

If you pull the stock dampers out to fit rigid bar end accessories, you need to install some form of damper back inside the bar. There are several on the market to choose from. Without this, vibration may be intolerable. That rotating gizmo Yamaha inserted into the bars is there for a reason, it's not just some complicated junk to hold tte bar cap in place. They are supposed to spin. If you've monkeyed with them to make them rigid, you've defeated part of their function.

Side note. I you are feeling numbness and tingling while riding with the stock bars, consider relaxing your grip, and bend your elbows to a more relaxed posture. Rigid arms and tight grip will increase the effects of vibration felt. You should not be leaning on the bars any more than necessary to maintain proper control. If you lowered the bars and are feeling the buzz, raise the bars back up. When you restrict the movement of the front end with too much grip, weight, or arm position, you stop the bike from self centering, which actually makes it less stable, while also transmitting vibration into your hands, wrists, and shoulders. Short riders who are forced to stretch to reach the bars need to be careful about grip tightness, which will amplify vibrations felt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just put in lever guards from MZS (Amazon) how would you suggest damping the clip-ons in this case? The lever guards have a compression fit to them. Insert compression rings, screw in to expand, bam! But had to remove dampers and i get some decent vibration at higher speeds. Would u suggest removing the compression fitting and just bolting direct into dampers?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just put in lever guards from MZS (Amazon) how would you suggest damping the clip-ons in this case? The lever guards have a compression fit to them. Insert compression rings, screw in to expand, bam! But had to remove dampers and i get some decent vibration at higher speeds. Would u suggest removing the compression fitting and just bolting direct into dampers?
I would insert the dampers with their normal compression method, pushed in tye clear the guard mount, However, there is probably no harm sharing the bolt to mount both, as long at it all tightens up and the faster fits.

·
Registered
2018 R3
87 Posts
I just purchased and installed cheap bar ends from Ali express. I just wanted a cosmetic improvement as I don’t like the look of the stock bar ends. But I did not want to remove the stock anti vibration dampers that are inside the handlebars.
So I took the purchased bar ends apart and removed the black rubber stopper and nut. I used the provided M6 machine screw and screwed the bar ends directly into the stock anti vibration damper. The provided screw was too long so I had to cut of about 15-20mm off it. Once shortened, I installed the bar ends and they look great. And I haven’t sacrificed vibration.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
the only issue is with the addition of the stock dampers is that they are free to rotate for exertional forces which causes the lever guards to be useless. the lever guards come w a compressional mechanism to lock them in location which adds more vibration so im thinking of just putting the dampers back in n using them only for the track. oh well lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts