Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

New to the Forum, have a Black R3, nice bike and really enjoying it. Have done the recalls however just had a Front Brake failure on it while riding out near Wisemans Ferry St Albans way in NSW.
Front Brake lost all pressure rapidly and brake fluid was all over engine. It happened just one week after the dealer did the second service at 9000 Km's. They tell me it is an ABS failure and I have to wait 2 weeks for the part from Japan. It is covered under warranty but has anyone else had issues with Brake failure on these Bikes?
Hope I get some responses as I am surprised to have this issue on a new Bike.

Thanks for any responses and apart from this Brake failure and recalls R3 is a great bike.

Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey mate, I too had the same issue, pm me with your number and I'll fill you in with what happened to me with mine. It's too long to write on here sorry.

Reactions: Xoenz

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need ABS on my bike, they're so much safer that way. I've seen that Bosch is coming out with newer and better ABS systems, particularly ones with ABS designed for cornering. How sweet is that!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I need ABS on my bike, they're so much safer that way. I've seen that Bosch is coming out with newer and better ABS systems, particularly ones with ABS designed for cornering. How sweet is that!
I respect that. I don't think they're compulsory but certainly will be standard one day-surprised they're not yet actually. I'm old school and have never had an ABS bike so no idea what it's like. I like ABS, and traction control, but that's about it. I think other driver aids are making drivers even dumber, worse, and more lackadaisical, if that is even possible. But that's more on the car dies of things-lane departure, parallel parking assistance, etc. I think it's terrible. It almost encourages you to be a shitty drier and to zone out. What's more, it's going to cause legal quagmire's. Say a car hits you in your lane and it has lane warnings and driver's aids, and your's doesn't, who's at fault? Does tech trump humans?

If/when I get another bike, I'll probably go to a Triumph Daytona 675 or Kawasaki Ninja Zx-6R. I'm a Honda/Yamaha guy, but as far as 600's go, those two are the class of the segment right now. The Zx-6R has ABS, driver modes, and traction control. However, I think the new R6 is adding those features finally. I definitely plan to keep my R3. I just miss the giddy up of my 600. I wonder how far they'll go with rider aids on bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I respect that. I don't think they're compulsory but certainly will be standard one day-surprised they're not yet actually. I'm old school and have never had an ABS bike so no idea what it's like. I like ABS, and traction control, but that's about it. I think other driver aids are making drivers even dumber, worse, and more lackadaisical, if that is even possible. But that's more on the car dies of things-lane departure, parallel parking assistance, etc. I think it's terrible. It almost encourages you to be a shitty drier and to zone out. What's more, it's going to cause legal quagmire's. Say a car hits you in your lane and it has lane warnings and driver's aids, and your's doesn't, who's at fault? Does tech trump humans?

If/when I get another bike, I'll probably go to a Triumph Daytona 675 or Kawasaki Ninja Zx-6R. I'm a Honda/Yamaha guy, but as far as 600's go, those two are the class of the segment right now. The Zx-6R has ABS, driver modes, and traction control. However, I think the new R6 is adding those features finally. I definitely plan to keep my R3. I just miss the giddy up of my 600. I wonder how far they'll go with rider aids on bikes.
I agree with you that riders and drivers should develop their skills enought that they can ride without electronic aids. Yet there are a plethora of riders that just don't have the skill, and they need those aids to avoid accidents. The ones that can ride well enough on their own are few, so in the end technology is the way to go. It's like John Henry vs the machine: in the end the machine trumps human reflexes and abilities. Plus, the new sportbikes that are coming out are just so powerful that it's practically a necessity to have traction control and ABS to not get yourself hurt.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I agree with you that riders and drivers should develop their skills enought that they can ride without electronic aids. Yet there are a plethora of riders that just don't have the skill, and they need those aids to avoid accidents. The ones that can ride well enough on their own are few, so in the end technology is the way to go. It's like John Henry vs the machine: in the end the machine trumps human reflexes and abilities. Plus, the new sportbikes that are coming out are just so powerful that it's practically a necessity to have traction control and ABS to not get yourself hurt.

But there's a huge difference between ABS/traction control vs lane warning, parking assist, etc. The former augments the driver/rider whereas the latter replaces them and creates a shittier rider/driver. As someone eloquently said "it'd be more helpful to out a spike on a steering wheel [than give driver's automated tech].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I don't want ABS. I don't need ABS. My R3 doesn't have ABS. My R3 works just fine. I don't ride in the rain. I'm old school. I like to keep things simple. I do not like electronic rider aids. I'm okay with fuel-injection and LED lights... but that's about it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like it

I like ABS. Rode for many years with none, and at the beginning I was dubious about it, thinking it would take out some of the fun of feeling the limits of the brakes.

When I finally got a bike with ABS, I liked it a lot. It doesn't bother you when you don't go over the the limit, but it tells you that you reached the limit when you do. And eventually could save you from a crash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
R3 front brake failure

Hi guys

I know this is an old thread but this just happened to me. Brake fluid pouring out. Are you able to share what happened with yours, where it leaked, etc.? Did you report it to Yamaha?

For the benefit of anyone reading, I took a video of what happened to mine: https://bit.ly/2xor7P6

Thanks
Adrian

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi guys

I know this is an old thread but this just happened to me. Brake fluid pouring out. Are you able to share what happened with yours, where it leaked, etc.? Did you report it to Yamaha?

For the benefit of anyone reading, I took a video of what happened to mine: https://bit.ly/2xor7P6

Thanks
Adrian
Wow, thats bad. Have you recently had service done? Curious if it wasnt tightened or worked its way loose?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It had its 2 year service a few months ago. We tried to tighten it but it's already tight, so I guess it's just leaking.

Garage are saying it's the ABS modulator.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi guys

Thanks
Adrian
Wow... Yeah, i'll never be getting an ABS bike. Hope you get everything resolved.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ouch! That sucks. One more thing that can fail...I like my setup better. No ABS, just a line from the master cylinder to the caliper. Brake failure would be a scary thing though!

Reactions: kiko
1 - 14 of 14 Posts