Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chain has been well maintained for the 2016 riding season. I had the bike stopped at dealer for the winter and (among other things) the chain just seems to be rusting rather quickly. I did ride in the rain a few times but always cleaned an lubed.

My question is is this acceptable level of rust taking into account that I am maintaining the chain. Should I look to replace the chain? I've heard if I'm replacing the chain I should also replace sprockets as well.

Thoughts and advice anyone? Link to photo below...

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgOc6Vd5RqYBgu1U2cPjzBefBsQOnQ

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's after one season? Wow. That does seem like a lot of rust, maybe use some kerosene and a brush to try to scrape some of it off.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Stock chain is junk really. Just beat on it a bit more and replace it.

Maybe use chain paste so its stays coated on the outside?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Check for lateral movement and tight spots, if they're both fine then keep using it (and maintaining it)

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
A co-worker has a 2016 R3 that he picked up just after I got mine. My chain looked brand new until the day I traded it in but his is all rusty and looks like crap.
I never rode my bike in the rain though. My bike was stored in a garage and even when I rode in to work, we have a garage to park in.
I'm pretty certain he parks his bike outside at home and is most likely why mine held up so well while his hasn't.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine was pretty much destroyed by rust over the winter and looked a whole lot worse than that. Rain/snow/salt has damaged this one much faster than other chains I've had, oem or aftermarket.

That picture isn't too bad, as long as it isn't too tight or pinching anywhere, it should be fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got caught in a massive downpour and my chain got full of dirt and grit. I was riding it for a bit after that and then took a look at it and realized I should probably clean the chain. I'll say this -- the bike was SILKY SMOOTH after I cleaned and lubed that thing. The performance increase also it worth it to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts