Yamaha R3 Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,270 Posts
If anything heat grips will cause it to have no freeplay.
But only if they're installed improperly. I had to trim off a small section of rubber from the heated grip's end to avoid it's rubbing the stationary bar end, and binding the grip and throttle tube's movement. An easy fix if that's the issue. I guess the wiring could cause a problem, but again, not so if installed properly.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Tbh i just want to fix my 10mm throttle free play. I payed $120 at Alberta Cycle. They said they changed my cable and fixed it and the free play is still there...
Go get your money back and watch alot of throttle free play yt vids ok. Alot of good R3 vids on that yt my man ok?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now for the cables that are loose with too much slack, there is an another adjustment nut on the riders left side of the bike

Where is the one on the left side of the bike? I found the usual fine adjuster on the right hand side by the throttle . Is there an additional one further down the cable? As far as I can see with all the fairings on, I do not see anymore adjustment points.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Are you referring to the throttle stop screw? As far as I can tell that will just leave the throttle open more when you release the throttle.

I'm looking for a way to take more slack out of the cable.
I guess thats what its called? Im no expert. Youre supposed to have a little slack. If you want less throttle freeplay maybe try the r6 throttle tube mod?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Perhaps you have too much play in your throttle cable. Assuming your dealer set the bike up correctly and that it has, say, less than 10K miles, what you're describing is the lousy stock throttle tube designed so new riders won't scare themselves with too much throttle. Get the replacement R6 tube.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since there is no cable adjustment at the throttle body end, where the cables are fixed to the attachment bracket, it appears that you could add a spacer or washers between the cable assembly bracket and the throttle body mount. A .060 spacer would effectively shorten both housings, decreasing the amount if adjustment used in the pull throttle adjuster by around .120" (the throttle will roll forward to accommodate the change in push cable housing length.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess thats what its called? Im no expert. Youre supposed to have a little slack. If you want less throttle freeplay maybe try the r6 throttle tube mod?
The R6 tube has nothing to do with freeplay. The adjuster at the throttle body end is a WFO stop, Off throttle stop is in the throttle handle housing itself, and is not adjustable. You may need to replace the cables id the freeplay is excessive, as the cables may either be made out of tolerance, or the internal cables have stretched. Most can get the cables adjsuted with the cable adjusters, so the cables are the first and only real area to address.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts