Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a pair of the smx5 from alpine stars from where I purchased my r3 for $189 today. Honestly I started riding my r3 with my tennis shoes. It was really easy to shift with it being minimal. Now with the boots it's a bit difficult and I'm thinking that raising the shifter a little would do the trick. I really have to move my foot and slide it in because of how thick the boots are. Any videos on how adjust it. Not sure I'd u adjust from the turn barrel or another spot. Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Assuming that the R3 uses the same shifter lever as the r25, which it should,
There is a small rod behind the lever, with 2 rubber caps on.
that rod is the adjuster rod for the shifter lever!

·
Registered
856 Posts
One end of the rod wil be a normal right hand thread,
Other end will be a left hand thread.
Use two 10mm open end spanners each end,
loosen both locknuts at the same time,
turn the rod and the gear lever will move up or down to your requirements.
Use both spanners to tighten the locknuts at the same time.

Don't go too far exposing more than half the threads out of the rose joints.
If you run out of adjustment,
move the arm on the gearbox one spline by fully removing its retaining bolt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I just went out to the bike this morning... poor bike, i ridden it in the rain last night and it sat out side in my covered parking slot but still, i need to go buy a bike cover. blaa water spots. i just cleaned it 2 days ago ahaha. anyways I went to look at the rod this morning and it seems like the rod is showing plenty threads already so since im going to the dealer Thursday to pick up my new pants ill have them adjust it for me there and they can torque it all back properly.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you ride in the rain all the time, remove and grease the shift lever pivot point with waterproof grease,
Best to do it sooner than later so its good for life.
All these kinds of maintenance tasks are good to learn and do, new bike so nothing is urgent.

You'll probably want to adjust your lever perch;s too at some stage wrist angle makes a huge difference to your whole upper body.
Brake pedal height can be tweaked too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've just purchased a pair of the smx5 from alpine stars from where I purchased my r3 for $189 today. Honestly I started riding my r3 with my tennis shoes. It was really easy to shift with it being minimal. Now with the boots it's a bit difficult and I'm thinking that raising the shifter a little would do the trick. I really have to move my foot and slide it in because of how thick the boots are. Any videos on how adjust it. Not sure I'd u adjust from the turn barrel or another spot. Thanks.
Whats wrong with the shifter? I ride my R3 with SMX5 race boots and steel toe combat boots with no issues? Perhaps you should consider adjusting your toe in relation to the foot peg in the correct position with the ball of your foot over the peg because most motorcycle riders ride with the heel of their foot over the peg which is incorrect.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Whats wrong with the shifter? I ride my R3 with SMX5 race boots and steel toe combat boots with no issues? Perhaps you should consider adjusting your toe in relation to the foot peg in the correct position with the ball of your foot over the peg because most motorcycle riders ride with the heel of their foot over the peg which is incorrect.
It also could be riding position, or height. People with long legs often need it adjusted down more, than people with shorter legs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts