Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****, you can get action cams for around 75 bucks (U.S.) these days, you really should just do it.

If you're new to riding and you are wondering why, for insurance or legal purposes when someone decides to turn onto you, change lanes right on top of you, etc.

Not only that, you also get some bonus off of it especially during summertime when you slowly ride past scantily clad people ;)

But seriously, do yourself a favor and get a action cam to mount on your helmet or bike.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Also, when you're new, it is always good to check your riding behaviour and descisions. Sometimes you respond to a situation in an automatic way, if you watch it all over again it can be very informative.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What's a good and compact camera ?
I would grab GoPro but it's humongous :)
So far I've seen Drift and Contour that are a little bit on a slimmer side than the GoPro.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
What's a good and compact camera ?
I would grab GoPro but it's humongous :)
So far I've seen Drift and Contour that are a little bit on a slimmer side than the GoPro.
These are the ones I currently use. Both small and easy to mount anywhere

1.) Tachyon OPS 1080 HD (this one is tiny)

http://www.tachyoninc.com/opshd.html

They have a newer BikerCam system, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eToKvBpBD94

2.) Garmin Virb 1080 HD or Virb Elite 1080 HD (the Virb can be found on eBay for around $100, the Virb Elite allows remote control use and a few more options)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/cIntoSports-c545-p1.html

Virb vs GoPro 3 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKpYIkiYKME

·
Registered
247 Posts
The new Go Pro Session is not quite as big, but it's still $$$. I also use a Replay XD Prime X (they also have a smaller version) which is a bullet-style camera which is much easier to get pointed in the direction you want. But these are still not cheap. But great quality video.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here are my opinions/recommendations on 100 dollar (U.S.) or less action cams:

Contour Roam 2

price- around $99
Form factor- cylinder
Mount- low profile
Helmet Side mountable- yes. Rotating horizontal angle lens. Rotating angle mount included (infinite up/down angle)
No external mic input (so no motovlogging).
Good PC interface software. Easy standard USB file moving and such.

notes:

This is a good camera for the price. It is on my wife's helmet. Picture quality is better than my $200 Ion Air Pro 2. Although lens can be scratched fairly easily. It has everything you need in the package to mount it anywhere flat or slightly curved EXCEPT handle bar mounting. PC interface is solid with many in-depth customizations. You can turn on and off various LED lights, you can turn on/off beeps. You can manually set the contrast and such for light conditions (or leave it on full auto). You can choose resolution and fps of the vids.

Replay XD Mini

price- around 90$
Form factor- cylinder
Mount- low profile
Helmet Side mountable- yes. Rotating horizontal angle body in mount. No rotating up down angle (separate mount purchase- $20)
No external mic input.
PC interface software N/A (do not own)

notes:

Do not own/have not used. cannot comment.

Ion Air Pro Lite

price- around $95
Form factor- cylinder
Mount- Ratchet/screw (basically like a go pro)
Helmet Side mountable- Yes but with special "L" mount purchased separately $15 and there is a horizontal angle threshold. Infinite up/down angle.
No external mic input.
Bare bones PC interface software. Terrible/finicky USB file moving/renaming.

notes:

I own the more expensive one and I would rather recommend the Contour Roam 2 over this one for various reasons. It looks very nice but the picture quality is not as good (basing this on my more expensive Ion Air Pro 2). The PC interface software SUCKS. If you were to rename one of the vids on the memory card or disturb the order of the vids (let's say you delete video 1 but keep video 2) the camera will no longer record and give you an error code. So dam stupid- it took me a whole day to figure this out. AFAIK there is no info regarding this online last time I checked but that was a year ago.

Also the camera makes a lower res copy of the vid for "smartphone/device" uploading but this is a load of crap because the resolution is so bad no one will ever use these extra duplicates, and all it does it eat up memory card space. And there is no way to turn this feature off.

Mobius (ebay)

price- around $80
Form factor- flat rectangle. But it is tiny.
Mount- universal screw (the kinds found on stand-alone cameras). Also comes with velcro stickies or just use separately purchased 3M stickies from hardware/auto store.
Helmet Side mountable- Most likely not. But you can remove the lens, not sure if you can use this "feature" to rotate lens...
PC interface? USB plug and play.

I know a youtube motovlogger who has been using one of these for about a year. So far no issues. But this thing is completely no frills, no extras so you gotta have a DIY approach if you decide with something like this unless you just stick to 3m sticky mount and forget.

Reactions: R3-D3

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a heads up for Australian riders!
police are fining riders with "not wearing an approved helmet" claiming that mounting a camera is a modification.please do a quick google search of helmet camera laws in your state before purchasing a camera and mounting it to your helmet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I see a lot of those are meant for helmet mount cam, is anyone using the dash cam and still affordable? All the gopro are like $400 which is pretty pricy IMO

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been using the Mobius camera on my rc planes for quite some time with zero incidents. If you go to buymobius.com they sell the cameras and all the spares and accessories.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Also, when you're new, it is always good to check your riding behaviour and descisions. Sometimes you respond to a situation in an automatic way, if you watch it all over again it can be very informative.
I bought a GoPro specifically to catch things if something happened.

I later started using it to rate my riding and improve on that. Post your video on youtube, come with your thickest skin, and have others give you feedback. If you are just going over it yourself, you probably wont know whats wrong with your own riding.If your ego is so big that you cant take criticism, you will never improve. If you stay humble, accept what others are willing to teach you, that would really help you become a faster and safer rider. Or just be safer if you arent into the fast part.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought a GoPro specifically to catch things if something happened.

I later started using it to rate my riding and improve on that. Post your video on youtube, come with your thickest skin, and have others give you feedback. If you are just going over it yourself, you probably wont know whats wrong with your own riding.If your ego is so big that you cant take criticism, you will never improve. If you stay humble, accept what others are willing to teach you, that would really help you become a faster and safer rider. Or just be safer if you arent into the fast part.
Nowadays it is a possibility to get alot of feedback from youtube indeed. I've got uncles driving motorcycles for decades and yet they learn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a heads up for Australian riders!
police are fining riders with "not wearing an approved helmet" claiming that mounting a camera is a modification.please do a quick google search of helmet camera laws in your state before purchasing a camera and mounting it to your helmet.
The Australian Police don't like being recorded!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here are my opinions/recommendations on 100 dollar (U.S.) or less action cams:

Contour Roam 2

price- around $99
Form factor- cylinder
Mount- low profile
Helmet Side mountable- yes. Rotating horizontal angle lens. Rotating angle mount included (infinite up/down angle)
No external mic input (so no motovlogging).
Good PC interface software. Easy standard USB file moving and such.

notes:

This is a good camera for the price. It is on my wife's helmet. Picture quality is better than my $200 Ion Air Pro 2. Although lens can be scratched fairly easily. It has everything you need in the package to mount it anywhere flat or slightly curved EXCEPT handle bar mounting. PC interface is solid with many in-depth customizations. You can turn on and off various LED lights, you can turn on/off beeps. You can manually set the contrast and such for light conditions (or leave it on full auto). You can choose resolution and fps of the vids.
I have the older Contour HD I have owned for about 5 years, its been a good camera and with the Contour 3400 lens kit you have replacement lens covers in the event they get scratched, I also purchased a 37mm lens kit and put a UV filter on mine.

The Roam looks identical.....and if they offer something similar with a lens kit, all the more reason to get one :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
As long as nobody becomes a Motovlogger please!
*I blame the internet.

But yes put it on the tail facing forward or the triple facing backwards and use to improve your riding,
Maybe this is why there has never been a Motovlogger that can actually ride a bike, camera is always facing the wrong way.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
As long as nobody becomes a Motovlogger please!
*I blame the internet.

But yes put it on the tail facing forward or the triple facing backwards and use to improve your riding,
Maybe this is why there has never been a Motovlogger that can actually ride a bike, camera is always facing the wrong way.
You must like some of Boris's videos on bikemetv, no????

·
Registered
856 Posts
You must like some of Boris's videos on bikemetv, no????

Yeah, all love to hate Boris haha
big clown he is.

but he aint no vlogger, he was writing articles in AMCN for 20 years before the Internet was around, and getting too drunk to become a real outlaw, so he's found his Niche staring in his own show.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts