Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha R3
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went down on the highway at about 90mph a month ago and have finally started the rebuild process. The frame is square all around the bike except for this front bracket where the front stay (gauge cluster, windscreen, etc.) bolts on. There's a 10-15 degree deformation between where the bracket should be oriented (parallel with line 1), and where the bolt holes are oriented (line 2). From what I can see there are no visual cracks in the frame itself or at the weld connecting this part to the main stem of the frame. I'm not exactly sure how to go about fixing this. It doesn't seem necessary to replace the entire frame because of a non-structural bracket. I've tried bending it by hand with a few different wrenches to no avail. If I use more leverage on this piece I believe I will crack the weld. I've also considered making a small relief cut along the red line, well before the weld if the picture isn't clear enough, and then hammering it in from the other side to close the gap (& welding it together if necessary.)

Please let me know if you have any ideas/advice on fixing this.
And for anyone worried about the integrity of the frame, I will have it x-rayed before I take it back on the road.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
If the rest of the frame is solid, I'd try to fix the one bracket and carry on. Heat and a larger hammer may move the bracket enough to be reasonably straight. But, I've been down the "get a bigger hammer" road before. Sometimes it worked like a charm, sometimes it was a complete failure.
I'm no welder or machinist, so I'd probably pay someone who is to take a looky-loo and give me advise. A machine shop and machinist routinely has access to any number of tools, like hydraulic presses and means to keep the frame stationary while attempting to relocate the bracket, that most home mechanics would not have. Maybe more importantly, they'll have the knowledge to use those tools. Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts