Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post eventhough I have been following the forum for 3 months. I am planning to buy a used R3 from for $4000 and it has 200 miles on it.
I have riding experience but not very good with fixing or troubleshooting the bikes. I have gone through some websites regarding basic checks to be done when you are buying an used motorcycle. But do you guys have any specific advice ? Is there any shop I can take the motorcycle and do a 20 point inspection like how we do for cars ?

Thanks
Vinod

·
Registered
433 Posts
200 miles... bike is basically brand new still...first service isnt even due yet

my advice is buy and enjoy!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks torrid_pace/Nikolajaren.

I spoke with him today and he is saying that its under loan and once I pay he will speak with the bank to transfer the title and we will get it overnight. He also agreed that I ride back home with the bike. Now I am bit skeptical about this deal.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
It may be as simple as the guy's "wants" outstripped his ability to pay and he's trying to dump the note. The way it usually works is that the lienholder will retain the title until the outstanding loan amount is paid, then they remove the lien from the title and provide a 'clean' title to the guy who took out the loan. He then signs title over to you and you now are the proud owner. If the lienholder is a bank or local place, you can both physically go there and get it all worked out on the spot. If the lienholder is some far-away entity, then I'd be a bit more leery of fronting the money.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Like stirz said, if you can go to the bank, it's pretty easy to get he title in your hand.

If he is hesitant to go there, then it gets suspicious.

Nothing wrong with low mileage bikes. I got mine at 94 miles. The lady's BF had an R1 and she bought it to ride with him 94 miles into it she decided it wasn't for her so I got it. Look for damage on the bar ends, rider/passenger pegs, case covers, brake levers, and foot pegs. Those are the first places to look if a bike went down. Then you can start asking about the bike going down.

Back on the title, go through his bank, don't just hand over money to him and trust he will get you the title without a way to document the transaction.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks torrid_pace/Nikolajaren.

I spoke with him today and he is saying that its under loan and once I pay he will speak with the bank to transfer the title and we will get it overnight. He also agreed that I ride back home with the bike. Now I am bit skeptical about this deal.
By no means pay anything unless the title can be transferred at the time of sale. Deal with the leinholder directly PRIOR to any payments changing hands, they own the bike. You are only $1000 shy of brand new, dont make a poor move.

Also the payment should be made directly to the leinholder for their share if possible. Remove the only potential problem, the note holder.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
By no means pay anything unless the title can be transferred at the time of sale. Deal with the leinholder directly PRIOR to any payments changing hands, they own the bike. You are only $1000 shy of brand new, dont make a poor move.

Also the payment should be made directly to the leinholder for their share if possible. Remove the only potential problem, the note holder.
I would gladly trade $1000 for 200 miles. That's not even the ride home from th dealer for some people. Used never means automatic terribly maintained bike. How is buying a 200 mile bike a poor choice, assuming nothing bad happened to it?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Its a great deal. From someone without title in hand that wants $4k handed over. Sure I would trade the $1k for 200 miles all day long. If the entire story checks out.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yeah, a bike with 200 miles, there's not much to check or worry about. Ask him if it's been in an accident or dropped. Easy. Look for any visible damage and that's about it. With 200 miles, it should be pristine. The only issue, like the guys said, is in the paperwork and outstanding loan/lien on the bike. You should check the VIN and verify the same number is on the title, and if all the details are square, you should be golden. I bought mine with 800 miles and got a nice deal on it too.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Its a great deal. From someone without title in hand that wants $4k handed over. Sure I would trade the $1k for 200 miles all day long. If the entire story checks out.
If the entire story checks out. Of course. Anytime someone buys somehung like a bike, you make sure the entire story checks out. That should go without saying.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Everyone of you helped me in making a decision.
I am going to meet him tomorrow and check the bike and then I will make a decision. Will keep you informed.
Havent told my wife yet, not sure how she is going to react (a big no for motorcycle from her).

·
Registered
116 Posts
$4K is a GREAT deal. You're actually saving more like $1500 since you don't have to pay for things like stupid fees, other charges you would get hit with buying new from a shop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hopefully it works out as legit. There are only 1 or 2 used r3s around me on Craigslist, and they want 5,500-6,000 for them because they bought them at the most expensive dealership. My local dealer is below that otd.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hopefully it works out as legit. There are only 1 or 2 used r3s around me on Craigslist, and they want 5,500-6,000 for them because they bought them at the most expensive dealership. My local dealer is below that otd.
Prices differ by state. Oftentimes people are way too optimistic, greedy, deluded, unreasonable, or unrealistic about sales price, or even a combination of the aforementioned. There is going to be a dearth of R3s out there so if you find a good one, don't wait too long if you want it.

Realistically, there are not going to be many used R3's out in the wilderness because while it has been known about for a while, they only started shipping around March. Ergo, there are only about 9 months worth of bikes out there. Conversely, Ninja 300s have been around quite a while and there will be plenty for sale in varying conditions, as it were. Blue book is a good starting point.

People might add some parts and want dollar for dollar back in aftermarket additions, which is also unrealistic. Also, the unitiatd who have not bought a mottorcycle usually have no idea baout all the fees and taxes usually put on top of retail. For example, the R3 is like $4990 retail, but after the crappy destination fee, prep fee, and taxes it'll come out to $6000 OTD here in NY metro proper.

Now, personally, right before I was going to the dealership, I did a final check and fond one relatively close to me. It had 800 miles and she was asking $4700. I told her book was $3990. She said it had Vagabond frame slides and that she paid like $600 extended warranty on rims/tires, which I told her was not prudent. Heh, she was really cool. When I went to see it, found out it was in perfect conditon. I mean, it only had 800 on the odo.

So I offered $4200 cash, and bam, deal done. Wish I could've gotten her down to $4000 but she was really nice. Also, I live in Brooklyn and it was cold that day and night already. She lived further west out on Long Island but met her at her job which was closer but still 30 miles away. I went by myself. Later that night about 4 hours later she laoded it up in her monster pickup with her boyfriend and delivered it to my door. I was solo because all my friends were working or preoccupied so I would have had to either leave my car there or leave the bike there. So the delivery was nice and got a good deal. Didn't get an amazing deal, but feel I got a really solid one.

I do miss my 2003 Honda CBR600RR a bit, but that thing just made you want to speed and you couldn't feel your hands after a while. I am happy as **** with my Raven R3. It is a great time to be a rider. There are so many wonderful different kinds of bikes and bike categories like never before.

Ideally, I'd like to have my R3 in the garage along with an XT250, R6, and something like a Triumph or Ducati Scrambler. Then I'd be complete, as they say.:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Robot, I agree with what you are saying. It definitely is my area that is expensive and with people who over value what they have. For example, there are 2 2013 non abs ninja 300s near me. One with 13,000 miles, stock, and beat up cosmetically who won't go below 3,600. The other has 12,000 miles, a slip on exhaust and looks is better condition and that guy won't go below 3,800. Both have been owned by multiple people with no records. Is it worth it to take a chance on those or use that money as a sizable down payment on a new R3 or new Ninja 300?

I think the more you get closer to a bigger city, the better your options for a great deal on a legitimately taken care of used bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright so I met the guy yesterday and checked out the bike, rode around thecommunity. It looks brand new and has 280 miles on it, I told him aboutthe advice I got from this forum and he has agreed to pay with his debitcard and get the title. He bought this motorcycle for his gf but after coupleof rides she is not very comfortable to ride and that is the reason for thissale.
I paid $100 as a deposit, he spoke to capital one in front of me and paid offthe loan (He didnt wanted to pay off before meeting a potential buyer) I will be riding this beauty in a week. Can't wait :).
Will post some pictures, still figuring out how to do that from the cell phone.
A big thanks to you guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congratulations! I got a similar deal: a new rider bought a new R3 and 800 miles in he dropped it at low speed. He couldn't afford the repairs: plastic, clutch lever, mirror, left footpeg and shifter. So he sold it at a loss to a road racer here who used to work in a Yamaha dealer and fixes/flips lots of motorcycles as a business. He repaired it and put it on Craigslist.

I bought it for $3,500 cash and yeah, I have the title in hand. The case cover is scraped a bit but for about $2,000 under the out-the-door price for a new one, I can deal with it :)

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congratulations! I got a similar deal: a new rider bought a new R3 and 800 miles in he dropped it at low speed. He couldn't afford the repairs: plastic, clutch lever, mirror, left footpeg and shifter. So he sold it at a loss to a road racer here who used to work in a Yamaha dealer and fixes/flips lots of motorcycles as a business. He repaired it and put it on Craigslist.

I bought it for $3,500 cash and yeah, I have the title in hand. The case cover is scraped a bit but for about $2,000 under the out-the-door price for a new one, I can deal with it :)
Thats a pretty good deal. Risk involved but worth it. I got couple of quotes from the dealer but nothing lesser than $5800
So I decided to get this used one and spend the rest for gears and mods.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts