Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my full race report with nail biting video of the Lightweight Twins race where 4 of the top 6 riders broke the old lap record. I claimed the new record at 2:00.199, just one thousandth of a second faster than Cory Ventura's time in the same race (the previous record holder). Awesome video with some wheel to wheel racing!

AFM 2017 Round 1 Buttonwillow - Race Report

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Awesome stuff! That 2nd video was very entertaining and intense to watch! Some great racing and good passes in there!

·
Registered
25 Posts
What warmers are you running? Single temp? The Pirelli rep at my last track day said temps for the r3 only need to get to around 135*f. Wondering if I should be looking at like the three temp warmers and just running them on low or if single temps for the 110/140 size would work just fine (you'd think if it was made for the size tire for the small bikes they would work).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What warmers are you running? Single temp? The Pirelli rep at my last track day said temps for the r3 only need to get to around 135*f. Wondering if I should be looking at like the three temp warmers and just running them on low or if single temps for the 110/140 size would work just fine (you'd think if it was made for the size tire for the small bikes they would work).

Thanks.
I think that's BS. I've never seen anyone run lower temps on purpose on smaller bikes. The rubber is the same regardless. In fact, the front tires are pretty much the same regardless of them being an a 300 or a 1000cc bike. It's the rubber compound that needs to get to a certain operating temp to perform well, it doesn't matter what bike or size of tire it is. I run them as hot as I can, which with my crappy single temp warmers it's about 175-ish. On my old cbr500, I let them cool off a bit because they stopped me at the gate for several minutes and that amount of time was enough to lower the temp on them to the point that the grip wasn't there anymore and I lost the rear end in a turn and crashed....same line and lean angle as always. Tire just let go because it was colder than optimal.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Thanks.
I call BS also. Did you talk with Chris @CT Racing? The warm setting is only interim step to reduce heat cycling. Before you go on track, you should set to the "Hot" setting or higher temperature, usually ~150-175F.

I'm getting to ~150-160F on my Bridgestone slicks, and up to 170F on my previous Pirelli SC1, temps measured off the track after the slow out lap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Someone on another forum said that's what their Pirelli rep told them and the guy I asked said the same (didn't get his name and he sounded more like he was just going along with whatever). It was at Thunderhill with Zoom Zoom last month.

Thanks for the help.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use Woodcraft dual temp warmers and I leave them on High (180 deg) all the time. The bridgestone slicks require a lot of heat to stay sticky, the Pirelli not quite as much, but I like the Woodcrafts because of the disconnect feature that turns them off when you pull them off the tires so you don't burn them up accidentally.

·
Registered
160 Posts
@jbluetooth

Quick question. In your videos you almost make contact from your front tire into the guy in front of you mid turn. Are you letting off the gas here or brake checking at all? The fear or hitting people in a race is still my biggest issue since it's against every riding rule to brake or let off mid corner. How did you get over the fear of racing so close? Just practice?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
@jbluetooth

Quick question. In your videos you almost make contact from your front tire into the guy in front of you mid turn. Are you letting off the gas here or brake checking at all? The fear or hitting people in a race is still my biggest issue since it's against every riding rule to brake or let off mid corner. How did you get over the fear of racing so close? Just practice?
Size of balls...that's what makes the difference!

But letting off the throttle mid-turn is fine. Don't grab a handful of brake at full lean, but rolling off completely won't cause you to crash....usually.

·
Registered
364 Posts
@jbluetooth

There's no substitute for seat time. I was also very uncomfortable with close passes while I was doing trackdays only. Once you get to start racing, close passing is extremely required when other rider in front is almost as fast or slightly faster than you. You'll get comfortable with seat time.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
There's no substitute for seat time. I was also very uncomfortable with close passes while I was doing trackdays only. Once you get to start racing, close passing is extremely required when other rider in front is almost as fast or slightly faster than you. You'll get comfortable with seat time.
Yep, and the thing that helps even more is races with large grids.

OP, MCRA won't be of much help there since they only have a handful of people in your class each time. I can't say I'm a very aggressive passer, and very comfortable being in the middle of a big group of people, but I know I'm a lot better at it now than I was a couple of years ago. What helped me was racing with MRA last year and starting a race in 20th on the grid in a race of 27 or so little bikes. I knew I was faster than some of them, but in the first race I was so scared to be aggressive with my passes that I let just about everyone buy and then I got stuck behind people. After that I basically said "**** it" and went for it from the start. Got more aggressive and passed a bunch of people in the first couple of turns. I even remember there being some contact with another guy who was going around the outside of me, as I was passing someone else lol

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@jbluetooth

Closing up that close on a rider mid-turn is an accident, and something I'm working on. There is no advantage to close up on a rider mid-turn, it kills your exit drive and usually doesn't help make a pass, as you can see in the video, it kills my drive and takes me a few corners to catch back up. What I should be doing is timing my corner speed and closing the gap better so I close up on the rider on the exit or entrance so I can actually make an easier pass. But yeah, as for how I handle it, you just don't really think about it in the race, instincts take over and it's go time! hehe

·
Registered
160 Posts
@jbluetooth @sbk1198 @Doc-Ram

Thanks for all the feedback, really helpful stuff! I'm going to look into some CCS racing @ Autobahn although I think I just missed a weekend. It's convenient for me and I know the track decently well. Hopefully the grids there will be bigger and I can get more seat time! I'm not racing with MCRA until July 2nd so I need to find something soon!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
@jbluetooth @sbk1198 @Doc-Ram

Thanks for all the feedback, really helpful stuff! I'm going to look into some CCS racing @ Autobahn although I think I just missed a weekend. It's convenient for me and I know the track decently well. Hopefully the grids there will be bigger and I can get more seat time! I'm not racing with MCRA until July 2nd so I need to find something soon!
Yeah you missed that chance. They only race at ACC once a year and that was a couple of weeks ago.

Blackhawk is coming up next weekend though. I'm debating going either there or to Hallett with CMRA.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah you missed that chance. They only race at ACC once a year and that was a couple of weeks ago.

Blackhawk is coming up next weekend though. I'm debating going either there or to Hallett with CMRA.
I'm looking at the results form the ACC race, not a single R3! There looks to be 2 Ninja300's and a few other bikes but almost no small bikes, that's crazy!

I do LOVE the short races, 4 laps, that's my stuff! MCRA is endurance racing and I can't make it over 20 minutes of racing, my knees give out. Blackhawk is an okay option, I've never rode there before so I need some experience before racing there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts