Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air cleaner is very easy to access. Maybe 5 minutes?
Well, five minutes is about right. The outer side fairing has two 4MM bolts. The airbox cover has three phillips head bolts. The filter pops right out. I really dislike phillips head bolts but they are very common on "emerging market" bikes. It is very easy to strip them. The ones holding my airbox cover on were in there very tight. You will want to use a driver with a bit in very good condition. I used my offset screwdriver for extra torque on two of the bolts. I have attached a picture of this useful tool. The lower left bolt is easy to drop into the recesses of the bike so be careful. The air filter has an excellent foam seal gasket and it has an oiled paper element with lots of pleats. You will not want to try to clean the filter. Just bang the dirt off and pop it back in or just get a new filter. Even if this engine was worked over I seriously doubt that there will be any restriction on the intake. For fun I popped off the left side black inner fairing. It comes off very easy if you read the instructions. The key is the clips are slotted so you need to move the plastic down to disengage the tabs. If you are forcing anything you are doing it wrong. I also took the slop out of the throttle grip using the adjuster where the cable exits the throttle housing. There is no adjuster on the other end of the cable, which is not cool. I don't like a lot of slop in the throttle. Always turn the bars to both extremes when adjusting the throttle pull so you don't have the engine rev up while turning! The adjuster uses a 10MM wrench.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
is there a k&n filter for the bike yet?
Did some research crossing the filters available for the R25 and Im pretty positive the KN YA-5008 will fit the R25/R3

Ive got one coming, I should know in a few days if all my research was right or not.

Oil filter is KN-204.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Have you installed it successfully already? Someone on here mentioned it was the same filter as a Ninja 300, which is KN303 and didn't seem right. I have a KN204 on order.
Personally no, but I crossed the the Versah SF-4007 offered by Webike Japan to the the K&N 204 which also crosses to the Fram PH6017A and Napa 1358 which have been successfully used by myself and others.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Personally no, but I crossed the the Versah SF-4007 offered by Webike Japan to the the K&N 204 which also crosses to the Fram PH6017A and Napa 1358 which have been successfully used by myself and others.
Thanks, guess I'll know for sure in a couple weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts