Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls
Trying to squeeze more power from my daughters 2019 model r3 that she races here in the uk.
I havent got the budget to get the GYTR kit so looking for budget options.
We have
full akrapovic system
K&N
Woolich ECU flash
Translogic quickshifter
The bike makes 39.1hp
After watching (lots and lots) of youtube and reading lots of posts about power upgrades and of course talking to fellow racers the things that stand out are airbox modifications, velocity stacks and cams, and the 2015 heads.
So my question is are the 2015-18 airbox the same as the 19 as I'd like to modify a couple to see what differences we can make.
We are uk based so stuff from across the pond in the us tend to be expensive after postage. But
there doesnt seem to be anyone over here doing anything development wise for the R3?
Would love to hear what you budget power mods are.
T.I.A
Steve & Lissy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure but I would think that that the airbox would be the same as all the others since the mechanicals are supposed to be the same.

I would start with taking some pics of yours and post them up so we can see it. If its the same, maybe try to desnorkel it first since you already have the K&N.
Thanks for the reply 👍
Yeah I would like to think it will be the same, next time i have the bike apart I'll get some photos.
I was thinking of buying a few of the side covers as they are cheap enough and modify them as it seems lots have done so, i watched a video from TST industries and they said about opening it up to get more air in too, in fact they actually said their best results on the dyno were with no airbox but also said that's not a wise move lol

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The aribox mod unlocks power. I purchased a spare box and modified the covers. I had my bike with a Spark full exhaust, MWR filter and tune. On the dyno it made almost an HP more with the modified airbox cover (and that was just one side) than without it. Its like 10-20 minutes of work. I used a dremel cut off wheel and it generates enough heat from friction to melt the plastic dust that it creates, leaving the whole thing relatively mess free.

Just make sure the mod is allowed in your racing org.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
To clarify (cant find the edite button at the moment), I only cut one side of the airbox. I think the TST site (could have been another vendor, but I am pretty sure its TST) was selling an airbox with both side covers cut/modified) and I saw the increase in power.

I also noticed it ran a bit leaner, so be ready to tune that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
TST and Norton Motorsports are selling precut airboxes. Might want to consider buying either of their velocity stacks with their ECU for best results. And of course it will depend on what the race org allows.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The airbox is definitely the same on both versions of the R3. The velocity stacks from TST or Norton would pair well with the airbox mods and I would suggest boring out the throttle bodies at a local machine shop to push max airflow. You may also want to consider knife edging the butterfly valves if you're gonna get the throttle body apart anyways.

·
Super Moderator
928 Posts
To clarify (cant find the edite button at the moment), I only cut one side of the airbox. I think the TST site (could have been another vendor, but I am pretty sure its TST) was selling an airbox with both side covers cut/modified) and I saw the increase in power.

I also noticed it ran a bit leaner, so be ready to tune that.
Kojiro, Welcome back. Upper Right side of where your post is.. You see 3 dots.. click on it.. click edit. Sorry, the delete post option is no longer on this new format. After it's out there, it's there. You can always edit to nothing but a :unsure:,. But something has to be there of the original post. If you really want something gone, ask a mod to delete it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts