Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much to say. I'm an old guy that just sold a motorcycle older than most of you, I'm guessing. In 1983 , I bought a new '83 BMW R80RT. We are both getting old, worn out, and slow, especially me. I sold it yesterday and hope someone enjoys it as much as I have.. I bought a new left over 2015 R3 from my local Yamaha dealer in Hickory, NC. Hopefully it's newer and better suspension, handling, and brakes will compensate for some of my old ways. Mostly, I'm looking forward to actually enjoying the ride again. I've heard you don't get too old to ride, but you may get old if you don't. I fully intend to find out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Similar situation with me.
Had an R100RS for 8 years. Being post-war German engineering it had a raw mechanical beauty that I thoroughly enjoyed. Now we are riding high tech Japanese technology only a few years removed from the race track. A bike that is almost 150 lbs lighter can't hurt at our age either.
Very glad I had the "airhead" experience. And really like my R3.
I just put Bridgestone S20 EVO tyres on it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome! As mentioned, not all of us are as young as you may think. Oh and just to burst your bubble, R3 suspension is still from the 70's.

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! As mentioned, not all of us are as young as you may think. Oh and just to burst your bubble, R3 suspension is still from the 70's.
70s suspension on the R3 is still better than 34yr 70s suspension plus the added 140+ lbs on the Beemer. BUT, point well taken. And thanks for the Welcome.

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Similar situation with me.
Had an R100RS for 8 years. Being post-war German engineering it had a raw mechanical beauty that I thoroughly enjoyed. Now we are riding high tech Japanese technology only a few years removed from the race track. A bike that is almost 150 lbs lighter can't hurt at our age either.
Very glad I had the "airhead" experience. And really like my R3.
I just put Bridgestone S20 EVO tyres on it.
Glad you picked up on the "airhead" tag. Yeah, lighter sure came into my decision with the R3. How about keeping us up to date on how the Bridgestone's work out. I'm kind of excited about the idea of having options again. Last purchase for the Beemer was really limited and expensive for what was offered since the tire sizes are long gone from newer bikes.

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1983 I was rocking the mullet and learning to drive on my Brother's IROC Z28..welcome to the forum!
I get the Z28. But boys and girls, even after this many years, I don't have the confidence to admit wearing a mullet. BUT I'm glad you do!:D and thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
197 Posts
70s suspension on the R3 is still better than 34yr 70s suspension plus the added 140+ lbs on the Beemer. BUT, point well taken. And thanks for the Welcome.
And never mind the shaft drive roll on roll off "personality". ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am going to hit 64 next week. Maybe we need a subforum for Old Geezers. Seems many of the inmates here are 20 yr old testosterone track day riders and then on the flip side we have a bunch of old geezers like me. That´s ok. I always get a kick out of my 20-30 yr old friends who tell me "When I grow up I want to be like you!" (hopefully they can do that without breaking every bone in their body along the way like me" LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts