Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an exhaust to replace my stock. Would like to know if i were to run a Akrapovic full race exhaust, is it necessary for any tuning after installation or is it a install and ride. Any new york riders out here? If yes do you know if this full exhaust would be legal on the streets? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tuning wouldn't be absolutely necessary but extremely recommended.

It will probably run lean when you put it on. If you wait a couple days, I'm putting mine on the dyno (3rd August) and I will make a post:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be awesome. Did you keep the stock o2 sensor as well and do you think there is anything else i might need to know to install the exhaust or after installation. Im a newbie to all this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Full akrapovic is easy to install. If you are unfamiliar this this work just follow the steps in the instructions provided, or watch some you tube videos. There will certainly be a video of an akro going on an r3

I didn't tune mine but I really wish I had.

You'll also have to get a block off plate if youre going to dyno it

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
That would be awesome. Did you keep the stock o2 sensor as well and do you think there is anything else i might need to know to install the exhaust or after installation. Im a newbie to all this kind of stuff.

Well I have a PCV installed and it has an O2 eliminator plug, so to my knowledge the stock O2 sensor is useless for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it be okay for me to put the stock o2 sensor on the akrapovic or would I be having problems? I don't intend to put the bike on the dyno and installing any other parts. Mainly going with full exhaust is so it would be louder for drivers to notice me and sounds much better then a slip on. I watched a few slip on videos on the r3 with yoshimura and akrapovic and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference beside sounds deeper not louder. Please correct me if I'm wrong thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Performance would probably drop with a full system and no tune since the ECU isn't made to be that flexible. You'll run lean and have less power in certain rev ranges.

You can put the O2 sensor back in, but again it won't do too much, it will just detect a probably a load of O2 and max out the ECU in one direction.

TLDR It will long term damage the engine more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the full Akrapovic. I absolutely love mine. "Technically" according to akrapovic with the full system you "don't" have to tune it. But to really get the most out of it and to make it run the best it can, tuning is always the answer. When i installed the exhaust without tuning and it still had the baffle, it felt just like it had the stock exhaust except for the sound of course lol. No lag, ran fine actually. Couldn't say how long that would last though, i had it tuned and everything 2 weeks later. I installed the Power commander, Block off plates, and took out the baffle on the akrapovic. Then went to the dyno to have it professionally tuned. And I couldn't be any happier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
those numbers will be something good to see.... usually the vendors they tell you that you don't need tuning or whatever just because the item will work as normal but without full potential...

I like the sound of the Akrapovic... and tempted to buy it too....

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the full Akrapovic. I absolutely love mine. "Technically" according to akrapovic with the full system you "don't" have to tune it. But to really get the most out of it and to make it run the best it can, tuning is always the answer. When i installed the exhaust without tuning and it still had the baffle, it felt just like it had the stock exhaust except for the sound of course lol. No lag, ran fine actually. Couldn't say how long that would last though, i had it tuned and everything 2 weeks later. I installed the Power commander, Block off plates, and took out the baffle on the akrapovic. Then went to the dyno to have it professionally tuned. And I couldn't be any happier.

Any chance you'd show me your power curves? Wondering what I may get out of mine. Do you have any aftermarket air filters or other mods that would affect performance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any chance you'd show me your power curves? Wondering what I may get out of mine. Do you have any aftermarket air filters or other mods that would affect performance.
Gained like 2hp or something. I don't have a chart or anything nearby. In all honesty you're not gonna feel that huge of a difference, I feel a slight, but the one thing that i could actually feel a big difference is changing the sprocket size. and I do have the K&N air filter. It was more of the sound i was after

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much did your tune cost? Im debating if i should just a auto tuner from power commander since the prices is most likely run for the same and dont see why i would pay 300+ every time i needed a tune. Please let me know why you went for a dyno tune and not an auto tuner thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ah no worries. My tune will cost me £190, but that is for a full map, I wouldn't imagine it would cost as much if you just need it tweaked?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im most likely go for the auto tuner due to the fact, if i decide to removing the baffle/db it will requires a new tune.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Gained like 2hp or something. I don't have a chart or anything nearby. In all honesty you're not gonna feel that huge of a difference, I feel a slight, but the one thing that i could actually feel a big difference is changing the sprocket size. and I do have the K&N air filter. It was more of the sound i was after
I installed the Graves full system last year and got 5 hp. I noticed a huge improvement. Last month FTECU released the flash for the R3 and now the power is amazing. I also added a throttle tube that Graves said would improve the drive. I was a bit skeptable but I did it anyway since they used my bike for their custom map.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts