Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know there is another thread on this, but that thread DOES NOT cover how both these slip-ons sound when comparing them. Slip-on will be referred to as "SP" from now on.

Background to my question: I have a ninja 300 with an akrapovic exhaust, but im selling this bike to get the yamaha r3 only because the servicing intervals are taller and u dont have to do a mother f-word valve clearance every 12,000kms. I love the ninja 300 because of how expensive it feels and how well it merges with the akrapovic SP. The sound is deep, round and smooth (until around 12k rpm it gets too loud and high pitched but im not in 12rpm range a lot haha). I'm worried of buying a r3 and not finding an exhaust that will balance the bike perfectly :(

Slip-on research:
So I have been doing my research on what SP I should get for my future r3. The ONLY SP so far that sounds smooth and deep is the coffmans exhaust from me watching youtube vids. The m4 (to me) is annoyingly too loud and thin and u can hear every pop the exhaust makes in high pitched tone. The akrapovic carbon SP is smoother but sounds like a flat quiet sounding inline 4 (when revs are anything higher than 2k rpm). The yoshimaru I think needs a full exhaust system for it to work. The akrapovic GP (shorty) is throaty load however I am not sure if it is deep, and I am not sure if it is tinny - I cant tell in the vids??? This leaves the coffman, it seems like it is the only deep, round and smooth sounding SP.

So people who have actually heard these sp's irl can you tell me your reviews, which is deeper and less tinny out of coffman and avro???

Here are my sources no baffle in either:

Coffman: /watch?v=_VRI5QK1W60 and
/watch?v=_eLC5MH0v7w[/url]

Akro: /watch?v=8IdnlQmiLWE[/url]

Ninja 300 akro deep and not tinny noise i am looking for (around 2:20): /watch?v=UH-tCaotx34

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't heard anything else in person besides my Coffman's and I just love it. Gives it a definite lower, throatier sound and its way lighter and smaller than most other mufflers.
Do you think it sounds deeper than the akrapovic for the ninja 300???
Does it do that beauitful, deep, solid and smooth "hUMMMMM" noise on the rev down? Also, does it backfire? Backfires are the number 1 thing I love about my exhaust

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just sold an Akra GP yesterday. Its the best sounding exhaust I have heard on an R3. I am on my 6th exhaust and have been at group rides with many of the exhausts out there.

It hums all the way through the RPMs. It sounds almost identical to an RC390 stock exhaust. Very close. The restriction at the cat collector point is going to set a certain base tone. The sound will only get so deep with that small of a hole.

Minor backfires on deceleration.

Heres the new owner of my old pipe after I installed it yesterday. He was in love with the sound just in the garage. It sounds perfect.

Its also the best running pipe with stock ecu and air filter for me. With Power Commander the best my bike ever ran was with MIVV Carbon GP slip on.

Why did I get rid of it? Because this came up on facebook for $300 cash.
BTW its obnoxious as **** and I will likely sell it before a few months is out because I am a parts freak and buy and sell too much ****.

I am already planning my next move. Either a MIVV Suono full system or slip on is my next pick.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just sold an Akra GP yesterday. Its the best sounding exhaust I have heard on an R3. I am on my 6th exhaust and have been at group rides with many of the exhausts out there.

It hums all the way through the RPMs. It sounds almost identical to an RC390 stock exhaust. Very close. The restriction at the cat collector point is going to set a certain base tone. The sound will only get so deep with that small of a hole.

Minor backfires on deceleration.

Heres the new owner of my old pipe after I installed it yesterday. He was in love with the sound just in the garage. It sounds perfect.

Its also the best running pipe with stock ecu and air filter for me. With Power Commander the best my bike ever ran was with MIVV Carbon GP slip on.

Why did I get rid of it? Because this came up on facebook for $300 cash.
BTW its obnoxious as **** and I will likely sell it before a few months is out because I am a parts freak and buy and sell too much ****.

I am already planning my next move. Either a MIVV Suono full system or slip on is my next pick.
How is the new exhaust obnoxious? Loud?

Also, i noticed you had a Coffman's exhaust shield for sale. Did you have it on your bike with the GP slip on? I bought a used GP slip-on yesterday, and i'm was considering getting the Coffman's shield to clean up the look.

·
Registered
545 Posts
How is the new exhaust obnoxious? Loud?

Also, i noticed you had a Coffman's exhaust shield for sale. Did you have it on your bike with the GP slip on? I bought a used GP slip-on yesterday, and i'm was considering getting the Coffman's shield to clean up the look.
Yeah the new full system is just like that underbody short one I had from Firetong. Same sound. Loud. With the baffle out its probably louder. I will install my power commander today and map it for Saturdays ride and see how it fares. Just sounds like any 4 stroke 400 dirt bike with a pipe on it. Nothing exciting thats for sure. Had to try it for the money. I will wait a few solid months before making any more moves.

The Coffman's shield was a tight fit. It touched right up on the pipe. I will see if I can find a picture of it. Oh you scored that $60 with the scrape. Polish that scrape out and you are in business for cheap! Thats one of the best deals ever. My $300 full yosh system was a close second lol. I just sent it back to Coffmans yesterday for a refund. I have a much cheaper solution for you.

Next time I put together a group buy for KD Project racing Thailand (which I want to do very soon) they have one that is only like $15. It will look better too. The r3 logo on there did not look good. It was weird seeing the mounting hardware point. Could not read the R3 clean. Order I placed last week arrived in 4 days from thailand already on my bike. You saw me and James get them worked out great.

It only looks good in that picture because the angle. Did not like it from standing perspective. I had a heat shield from Mivv that fit better and looked better. The coffmans looks like an afterthought and it fits kind of poorly. The leading edge looks wonky. I do not recommend it. See how the leading edge does not tuck under the stock heat shielding? Looks poor in person.

Oh yeah Coffmans charged me $54 for the heat shield. Too expensive. Part of the lettering cut out could be easily damaged and defaced. Not good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bird, thanks for the detailed reply. It looks like that heat shield would actually cover the scrap which would be nice, and I'm already going to get a replacement sticker for the exhaust. Everything else on the exhaust looks fine, so it was a **** of a deal for $60 and i'm happy I was able to grab it.

You're right in that the heat shield looks fine from that angle, but i'll take your word for it that it looks janky in person. When you're ready to place another big order, $15 for the imported shield sounds good.

EDIT: found a link to that guard you were talking about with KD Project. Looks good. Definitely interested if you can get something going in the near term.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So back to the sound of the slip ons. Is the coffman slip high pitched? Or is it nice and deep (i love the sound of the mto7 with an akro, its beautifully deep) i dislike the high pitched noise that 250's make. I'm really trying to avoid the 320 r3 sounding like a high pitched 250 haha

·
Registered
102 Posts
Was able to install my Akrapovic GP last yesterday and go for a ride. AMAZING. A bit deeper, a little louder, and some consistent brrrappp backfiring when shifting in the mid-rpm range.

Would still like to hear the Coffman's in person, but overall, I'm completely satisfied w/ the Akrapovic GP. I wasn't sure about the look, but even that's growing on me. And regardless, its not coming off because i'm addicted to the sound now.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I like everything about the Akro GP except the look. I like the look of the Coffman more but not having a bracket attaching it, I wonder how long I go before it gets bent or something.
Would love to keep getting people's opinions on these so keep them coming

·
Registered
21 Posts
Torn between the coffman and the akra as well. Not crazy about the look of the akra, or the coffman for that matter (mainly logo colors) but will compromise for that louder sound. Don't want to induce a headache as may happen with the m4, but even I can't hear my bike sometimes. Don't feel like dealing with fuel mapping so was looking towards slip ons. Anyone good with words that can describe both of these and their differences (low rpm and highway)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are some really good replies from the fellas here, thankyou :D

Keep them replies comming haha - anyone else can give us some insight on if the coffman or akra is deep sounding??

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fraction of the cost. Looks great. Sound just as good if not better than a skip on. Skip on are only cosmetic on this bike. The real muffler is under the bike so unless you're going for a full system, i dont see the benefit to cost ratio making sense for a slip on. Which on this bike is basically an overpriced exhaust tip....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts