Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
The GSXR 125 doesn't make sense to me. Maybe for junior racing leagues, but even then, not really?

GSXR needed a 250 or a 300 to compete in the super strong market right now and they kind of missed the mark there I think.

That being said, of all the announcements made so far, I like their new bike the best. It is making some much needed advancements and them, along with the CBR1000, are doing exactly what I have been saying everyone needed to start doing: make two models, a performance one and a cheaper one for all the people who don't want to spend $25,000 on a bike they will only take to the track a couple of times.

I don't like the CBR so much. It looks terrible, which is not all that matters. It does have Brembos, Ohlins, a much needed power upgrades but I have my worries it's not enough. With them dropping the 600, they needed to come out with a bang and I worry the CBR is still going to be the underdog of the group.

I don't like the new color options on the S1000RR. I think the current colors look better.

The Aprilia is getting some nice updates.

The new Ducati, though, is the most intriguing bike to me. Ducati realizes not everybody can justify a bike that costs as much as a decent car, and not everybody needs a full race bike for their daily commute. Ducati has been suffering a bit for this, but the Supersport is tackling that. A full fairing, full feature, comfortable full fairing motorcycle was desperately needed. The only other bike that was close was the CBR650f and I believe Honda missed the mark there as well, as much as I wanted them to not.

I saw a Ducati dealer say pricing is $13,000 and $15,000 on the Ducati. If that is true, that will be an EXTREMELY competitive motorcycle over the next few years.

I'm definitely eager to see what Yamaha announces with the R6. If they can do to the R6 what everyone else is doing to their liters, I think they will have a recipe for success that only Triumph is filling right now: a bike with all the features that isn't a 1000.

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
GSX-R125 joins the Grom and Z-125 as second bike toys. Obviously I would have much preferred (along with everyone else) a GSX-R400 w/48 whp ...

The Ducati looks nice of course, but look at the semi-aggressive clip-ons.

Not mentioned in OP's post ('cuz it's not a new bike) was that the Ninja 650R lost 42 pounds to become hopefully 423 lbs wet. Tail tidy + lithium battery, a nice faired 417 pound street-oriented bike with 60+ whp finally?

·
Registered
223 Posts
The new Fireblade looks like sex. Suzuki looks like they are just slowly digging themselves into the bottom of the bunch as far as design aesthetics go. In other words, they are doing nothing. Suzuki is now like the Acura.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Like many others, I am lusting after the looks of that Ducati! I really want to see a rider on it so I can tell just how aggressive the seating position is. However, just like a BMW or Aprilia my wife would never agree to me spending that much on a bike. HAHA

The new CBR looks really good, but I haven't seen much info from Honda about it yet. Although I've never owned a Honda motorcycle, I've always been a fan. I guess we'll have to wait until some actual reviews come in to know if it competes with the likes of the R1.

More 125's..... Why? Unless you live in a huge city and you can lane split, I just don't see the point of these bikes. Maybe I'm finally too old to "get it?"

·
Registered
330 Posts
GSX-R125 joins the Grom and Z-125 as second bike toys. Obviously I would have much preferred (along with everyone else) a GSX-R400 w/48 whp ...?
And that latter is a bike the market is asking for and isn't getting. The only bikes that are inbetweens are the CBR500R - which we all know brings little more to the market than a 300, the CBR650F - which is a little much for many riders at 90hp, and the Ninja 650. The Ninja may become a bit more competitive, but the riding position and the physical looks of the bike IMO write it out of this market.

A 50-60hp motorcycle that has a similar seating position and feel as a 300 would sell very, very well IMO. The only thing I dislike about the R3 is the lack of grunt it has at high speeds, which I feel considering I commute on my R3 and I take a 40mile toll road ride every day...

But both the 125s on the market are made by companies that already have entry level bikes to fulfill the need of the market. I just don't see how a GSXR125 will be more profitable than a GSXR300 would be, but there are some very intelligent businessmen in that company who know what they are doing so what do I know?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had high hopes for that Ducati, but wet weight looks like 470ish and it's still priced almost as high as a 959. There are way better options at that price, but none sexier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Out of all of these - I'm most interested in trying out the GSXR125. For the riding I do - the others would be overkill. Fun in a straight line - but otherwise boring, and ultimately too much work. Like dating a neurotic supermodel. Beautiful and fun to date occasionally - but you wouldn't want to live with them on a daily basis. I believe Suzuki is claiming that the GSXR125 has a better power-to-weight ratio than the Yamaha YZF-R125, and will be less expensive to purchase. The YZF is one of the best selling bikes in Britain - so I suspect that Suzuki is aiming to take away some of those sales from Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The new Fireblade looks to be an exact match for the new Yamaha R1.
The new R1 is "Sportbike of the Year". And now it has an equal.
I expect exactly the same lap-times when they start testing the new crop of literbikes.
The technology is all the same now. Pick your favorite brand, pick your favorite color, and ride!

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
Is it just me, or did Suzuki hit the GSX-R1000 with the ugly stick? Heck I think the 125 may look better!

·
Registered
199 Posts
CBR1KRR looks decent, can see that they're going along the lines of a Panigale there.. GSXR125 looks like a nice toy to have around, wouldn't be surprised if they decide to throw 300 in there for other markets. Ducati Supersport, eh. As for the GSXR1K, looks much cleaner and a bit more modern now. Still dislike the cyclops style headlight though.

Yamaha needs to show the R6 already!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
More 125's..... Why? Unless you live in a huge city and you can lane split, I just don't see the point of these bikes. Maybe I'm finally too old to "get it?"
Even then, I'd take the R3 over the 125's for lane splitting.

I am disappointed to see Suzuki throw another 125 into the market. I guess there must be a market for them to justify their decision.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm probably going to seriously consider the ducati. Much more practical than other bigger sportbikes (more torque down low, relaxed peg and clipon positioning) but im sure it still goes like ****.

Honestly remind me of a more powerful and more exotic R3.

·
Registered
304 Posts
GSX-R125 joins the Grom and Z-125 as second bike toys. Obviously I would have much preferred (along with everyone else) a GSX-R400 w/48 whp ...

The Ducati looks nice of course, but look at the semi-aggressive clip-ons.

Not mentioned in OP's post ('cuz it's not a new bike) was that the Ninja 650R lost 42 pounds to become hopefully 423 lbs wet. Tail tidy + lithium battery, a nice faired 417 pound street-oriented bike with 60+ whp finally?
Agreed, all those 400's of the 1990's were great for first time bikes, track bikes, and with a few tweaks, fast enough for most people.

·
Registered
732 Posts
How about the updated Ninja 650? They've totally redesigned the whole package....
It looks good. Also, Kawi has a Z900 now. Which also looks pretty good.
Yes, I agree with those sentiments-the N650 redesign is gorgeous. Hopefully, my future garage has a Ducati SuperSport S and a Triumph Scrambler to go along with my R3 and/or Kawasaki Ninja650. Right now, there are some holes in the 600 class. The CBR600RR is a bit dated, the R6 is basically a race bike, and the old N650 and CBR650F were lacking. The best hybrid 600 that mixes a sport package with standard comfort and riding position is probably the FZ600R, but its dated. It's got a but ugly headlight, and the swingarm is still like a 90's square steel tube swingarm. However, it is still the best 600 platform for someone who wants a more upright riding position with the sportiness of a supersport, and it's Inline4 is peppier than the old N650 and better tuned than the Honda 650. If I were to go back to a 600, I'd seriously consider the new Ninja 650, but I'd still want to see how the N650's P-Twin performs.

Still, it is a gorgeous bike, and the trelis frame is a welcome change. I'm digging the orange Ninja.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts