Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my bike almost a year ago, I never thought I'd do any maintenance myself before I got it(lack of spaces to have tools, no knowledge of working on cars, I drop it off to mechanics to do almost all my car's work even for simple oil change except simple thing like cabin filter)

After almost a year in(10months, 12k miles later), almost all work was done by myself(except the fairing/crash body work repair, had to fix it quick for my daily ride to work) I did a few things by myself(with a lot of help/advice in MotoGuild @ San Jose):
Fender eliminator swap
Oil change(3times)
Chain lube(basically my biweekly ritual, I started from 1hour+ work and clean the bike to 15minutes rush nowadays)
Chain adjustment
Tire change

Next up would probably be brake oil change after 1 year, hopefully not too difficult

Looking back I would never thought that I would be able to do these, thank you Yamaha/motorcycle to bring a new world to me

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got my bike almost a year ago, I never thought I'd do any maintenance myself before I got it(lack of spaces to have tools, no knowledge of working on cars, I drop it off to mechanics to do almost all my car's work even for simple oil change except simple thing like cabin filter)

After almost a year in(10months, 12k miles later), almost all work was done by myself(except the fairing/crash body work repair, had to fix it quick for my daily ride to work) I did a few things by myself(with a lot of help/advice in MotoGuild @ San Jose):

Fender eliminator swap

Oil change(3times)

Chain lube(basically my biweekly ritual, I started from 1hour+ work and clean the bike to 15minutes rush nowadays)

Chain adjustment

Tire change

Next up would probably be brake oil change after 1 year, hopefully not too difficult

Looking back I would never thought that I would be able to do these, thank you Yamaha/motorcycle to bring a new world to me

Pretty much same background as yours. This is my first bike and I would also like to do much of the maintenance and mods by myself.
My bike is 3 weeks old and I've done my first oil change.
Next up would be installing the fender eliminator and hopefully coffmans slip on ( if I can save enough)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm.. 4-5 months deep with my R3, 8500 miles deep.

The only thing I've done myself is the usual stuff -

Oil change
Chain adjustment
Chain clean/lube
Fender eliminator
HID kit

Nothing hard really, easier to work on than a car IMO.

Next thing on my list is to take the wheels off.. since I need to replace my tires soon hah.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats! Glad to see people taking interest and working on their own bikes. It is a great peace of mind to know the work that was done, and that it was done right.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm.. 4-5 months deep with my R3, 8500 miles deep.

The only thing I've done myself is the usual stuff -

Oil change
Chain adjustment
Chain clean/lube
Fender eliminator
HID kit

Nothing hard really, easier to work on than a car IMO.

Next thing on my list is to take the wheels off.. since I need to replace my tires soon hah.
I thought about doing HID, but the cover was an issue and I actually ordered and returned the kit. Need to find some brighter bulb(at least halogen or something) before the winter comes again

Tire is doable without hydraulics but it's night and day difference when there's tools to help. I saw those buffed up guys working hard to get tires done on youtube and I felt like cheated with the tire changer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts