Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So as some of you may know, I increased my daily work commute from 26 miles both ways to 106 miles both ways (53 miles one way) and it is alllll highway... so I went and sold my R3 (probably one of the biggest mistakes I made, going to miss the amazing machine).. anyways I went and got a new 2018 MT-09.. it was pretty awesome not gonna lie.. super slick, super safe with so much technology added by Yamaha, it was an amazing ride.. I did the new longest commute several times like it was nothing. It was pretty nice to have the extra "me time" every morning and evening, and on such a beastly machine it was pretty invigorating.

So to continue, I've been riding supersports since 2006.. I have a family, 3 kids (one of them fairly newborn) and I consider myself one of the safest and most responsible riders in the world. For real I'm pretty safe and alert. I see all the cagers in the mirrors and looked in the eyes, I see if they are distracted. I see if they are aware of me. I make it a point, for my own safety. In my years, I've already swerved out of the way of tons of cagers that merge into me, I've gone into the shoulder of the freeway so many times to safely avoid disaster. I never get mad (too mad) and I'm always forgiving.

On 8/30/2018, on my way home from work, a driver in a sedan decided they would merge from the #1 lane into the #2 lane without checking the mirrors or blind spots. They were merging directly into a moving vehicle on their side in the #2 lane. However, I was already there. In between their car and the other car. The merge was so aggressive that I was thrown from the bike 25 ft into the air, and landed in the #3 lane where I was immediately ran over by a truck. Apparently I blacked out immediately (I'm assuming in pain.) My legs were nearly destroyed. My knees split open, my right femur bone severed in two. My left big toe fractured. Apparently my leg looked like it was gonna fall off. I dont remember any of it happening because it happened so fast and my brain must have shut it all off.

I woke up in ICU. Apparently the surgeon was able to reconstruct my right leg and I got this new metal pole with screws holding my femur together. It'll be there for the rest of my life. It's the worse pain I've ever experienced. I dont wish this upon anyone. I am impressing physical therapy with my healing however. I'm doing it man. I'm healing! I'm progressing! I'll walk again someday soon, just not perfectly.

I want everyone here to realize it doesnt matter how safe you are or think you are. It doesnt matter. It just took one person not checking their mirror to almost kill me. Please kiss your wife/husband and kids. Ride safe and hope that this just never even comes close to happening to you. I dont have enemies, but even if I did I wouldn't wish any of this upon them. I dont wish this upon anyone. Its terrifying to even think about. I'm so happy and grateful to be alive.

So I'm on disability now. CA state disability is only paying me 60% of what I make as an I.T. professional. I'm going to be out of work for a minimum of 3 months. It sucks to think about. I dont want to ask anyone for anything. Ever. I'm going to struggle getting ends to meet for this new mortgage, the one that put me so many miles further from my place of employment. With all that said, my co worker made a GoFundMe page for me. My family talked me into sharing my story and sharing the GoFundMe page. I'm not even going to ask people to donate. I mean if you can and do, thank you a million times over. But if not, just a share in your communities would be so appreciated. Not just the GoFundMe page but the warning and awareness to keep us riders safe. I've lawyered up and they tell me that I'm expected to receive a hefty settlement. If anyone does donate and wants it promised back, I certainly will pay it back as soon as the settlement comes in.

Anyways thanks for reading. I love you guys and this is such an amazing community and what a heck of a fun bike everyone gets to enjoy. Be safe my friends! Remember to kiss your family, love them, appreciate them, and let them know it. Chances are they share the same feelings of you and deep down have some of their own worries because you're doing it on two wheels. Keep it rubber side down. Have some fun for me ?

https://www.gofundme.com/bradley-millers-recovery

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yikes, glad to hear you're alright brother. As much as I enjoy riding it's stories like this that keep me from riding to work. Too many near misses and a couple collisions (in my car) to risk it. Wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you on 2 wheels again soon.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks my dudes ? it's easy for me to be positive when looking at the big picture and realizing it could have ended worse for me... I mean, I'm here right now! Theres breath in my lungs, blood in my veins and my brain was untouched! I am not missing a leg! I feel so terrible for anyone going thru pain right now. There are those that end up missing a leg! There are some that end up not being able to think right from brain damage! Some even lose their lives completely. I'm blessed man! I love my life!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh my goodness... - things can happen so quickly and the outcome is never for sure...
I admire your attitude and positive thinking and I can only hope that this is you and not just a facade for the rest of the world. Yes, this can get ugly but you can survive and come out stronger... - maybe not physically but for sure mentally!

I also had an accidend last weekend... - hunted a deer successfully with my R3. The deer died a few minutes after the collision, the R3 is intact except some deer hair and mud and a bent gear shift lever and my torn leg-muscle and sore hip bones will heal soon, too.
Sure, I was taken to hospital after the accident happened and my inner organs were scanned for damage but I was able to go home the same day and today I picked up my R3, about 70 miles away from home and took it home, too.

Always make sure that you are not riding faster than your guardian angel can fly... ;-)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Appreciate you sharing your story, best of luck and wish you a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story, it has been a real eye opener for someone who also feels they are a safe and responsible rider. All we can do is manage to stay safe and be alert at all times. I wish you a fast recovery and hopefully one day your back on two wheels.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys, thank you for the replies! Quick update, I've gone thru some hefty recovery since 8/30/18, surgeon says it was textbook perfect and I couldn't have asked for better healing! Had alot of prayers on my side!

TL;DR important life lesson at the bottom!

I hit some mile stones lately, like I can run up and down the stairs now where just a couple months ago I never even thought I'd go up and down them slowly or even ever again for that matter. Today I actually was able to get on my knees and kinda take a few steps on my knees. I can get down on the ground and get back up on my own now. I've been back at work since November, I should have been out about a month longer but I had to get it cleared early from my doctor because disability wasn't cutting it for paying bills and all I do really is sit at a desk and type lines of code and was able to avoid heavy lifting so it was okay.

I've never really cried in my adult life, sure I was a kid too, but I can't remember shedding tears for anything after adolescence. I tell you, after this accident turned my life upside down, I can start balling if my toast gets burnt. Out of all of this that's happened, the worst is knowing what I put my wife through that night after not showing up after work and not being reachable and then so many hours later getting a call from the hospital. A close second to that, is losing my bike. Someone else is riding my beloved R3 that was so modded and worked on by Jesse Norton himself, because I sold it for my new 2018 MT-09. That new MT-09 is sitting in my garage in two pieces, it still has the dealer plate on it. I can't even go out to the garage to get a soda without breaking down seeing that bike there like that. Wife won't let me back on two wheels until the kids are out of the house. Makes sense, I get it, but boy does it suck!

Anyways, the case against the negligent driver that hit me. In California, you can have a minimum of $15k medical and $10k property liability. That's what the lady had that hit me. So all she's on the hook for, by California law, is that $15k/$10k. Now that $15k doesn't even cover the THOUGHT of the bills I have from so many different surgeons and doctors from the hospital/ICU. So, I can go after the person individually and sue them. That would be awesome if this lady had any money to go after. Instead, she's got nothing, no family, no assets, no house, just a working woman going home to her apartment after work. So the lawyer suggested it wouldn't be worth putting the good money to go after the bad money. There's some tandem law apparently that because I need to accept such a small medical settlement by law, that they will negotiate ALL of the related medical bills down to only 1/3rd of the $15k. So all medical period is covered at $5k. Then the lawyer will take their 1/3rd so there goes another $5k. After all things done, I may have $2k or $3k, and the smart thing would be to put that directly into a savings/CD and just leave it there to cover whatever medical bills I'll incur in 15 years when this metal rod and screws inside me cause their inevitable recurring issues.

Here comes the important life lesson for everyone that my lawyer shared with me, and this goes especially for California residents. If you are on two wheels, you need to get Uninsured/UNDERinsured motorist coverage. Like $100k/$200k coverage. The monthly increase in your premium wont be that bad. I did not have this. If I had this, I would have been able to go after my own insurance for the $100k/$200k and I would have been sitting pretty with a nice new toy to drive. Get the coverage, ESPECIALLY in California. Because if you suffer a similar incident and the person that hits you only has that $15k medical, you will WISH that you had the ability to go after your own insurance for the extra money. It's not even about the money as like a pay out. I've already lost so much physically, emotionally, financially, it's put my wife and I through some bad fights all from this accident. Even getting a million wouldn't take any of it back or make any of it any better than it was, but holy crap it would have been so much nicer to get SOMEthing out of it...

Ride safe my friends, kiss your family, tell them you love them.

PS also selling some newish 2016 R3 parts in the for sale forum, man I miss that R3!

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
Anyways, the case against the negligent driver that hit me. In California, you can have a minimum of $15k medical and $10k property liability. That's what the lady had that hit me. So all she's on the hook for, by California law, is that $15k/$10k. Now that $15k doesn't even cover the THOUGHT of the bills I have from so many different surgeons and doctors from the hospital/ICU. So, I can go after the person individually and sue them. That would be awesome if this lady had any money to go after. Instead, she's got nothing, no family, no assets, no house, just a working woman going home to her apartment after work. So the lawyer suggested it wouldn't be worth putting the good money to go after the bad money. There's some tandem law apparently that because I need to accept such a small medical settlement by law, that they will negotiate ALL of the related medical bills down to only 1/3rd of the $15k. So all medical period is covered at $5k. Then the lawyer will take their 1/3rd so there goes another $5k. After all things done, I may have $2k or $3k, and the smart thing would be to put that directly into a savings/CD and just leave it there to cover whatever medical bills I'll incur in 15 years when this metal rod and screws inside me cause their inevitable recurring issues.

Here comes the important life lesson for everyone that my lawyer shared with me, and this goes especially for California residents. If you are on two wheels, you need to get Uninsured/UNDERinsured motorist coverage. Like $100k/$200k coverage. The monthly increase in your premium wont be that bad. I did not have this. If I had this, I would have been able to go after my own insurance for the $100k/$200k and I would have been sitting pretty with a nice new toy to drive. Get the coverage, ESPECIALLY in California. Because if you suffer a similar incident and the person that hits you only has that $15k medical, you will WISH that you had the ability to go after your own insurance for the extra money. It's not even about the money as like a pay out. I've already lost so much physically, emotionally, financially, it's put my wife and I through some bad fights all from this accident. Even getting a million wouldn't take any of it back or make any of it any better than it was, but holy crap it would have been so much nicer to get SOMEthing out of it...

PS also selling some newish 2016 R3 parts in the for sale forum, man I miss that R3!

Wow - this is crazy that there is insurance that can even be that low. It's even crazier that you can just 'have that' and be ok. Here in Ontario (not sure about the rest of the country), you must have a minimum of $500k in liability which covers things like personal injury and property. But as a general rule, you always get $1million. Legally though, the minimum is $500k. Probably explains why our insurance rates are so high, lol.

What's also interesting is that the medical bills could be that high that it would eat up that much money in California, but yet be able to get 'negotiated down' below that amount. So what does it really 'cost' to administer the medical care? Anyways, a debate for another time!

Very glad that you are here with us and that you are on the mend.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Glad you made it through the accident and are here to tell the story. Sounds like the recovery is going well. I've been rear ended in a car and went through months of physical therapy. In the same situation with the medical and lawyer as you. Here on the east coast my own insurance was responsible for the medical bills which was great help. Besides the fact that they did not want to approve the initial MRI that doctors prescribed. I agree with you about the under insured coverage increase. Going to up it some.

Wish you the best in your route to full recovery. It takes time but stick with the PT and you will get there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Wow - this is crazy that there is insurance that can even be that low. It's even crazier that you can just 'have that' and be ok. Here in Ontario (not sure about the rest of the country), you must have a minimum of $500k in liability which covers things like personal injury and property. But as a general rule, you always get $1million. Legally though, the minimum is $500k. Probably explains why our insurance rates are so high, lol.

What's also interesting is that the medical bills could be that high that it would eat up that much money in California, but yet be able to get 'negotiated down' below that amount. So what does it really 'cost' to administer the medical care? Anyways, a debate for another time!

Very glad that you are here with us and that you are on the mend.
There was an episode of Adam Ruins Everything that he perfectly explains how US healthcare with insurance is just a scam, and all prices for stuff like certain procedures or surgeries or medicines are super inflated and then are only deflated so much only if you have insurance. This was a pact between the healthcare system and insurance companies, apparently, so that it would give so much greater value to having the now legally mandated health insurance. Because if the prices weren't so ridiculously inflated without insurance, who would pay a monthly premium for health insurance? And the prices that you are charged with insurance, the co-pay usually, is not far from the actual cost for that particular procedure, but could look like it was supposed to be $10,000 and your insurance provider magically negotiated it down to $2,500, and they so happily paid $2,375 of this imaginary amount and then you have to pay the $125 copay at the time of your visit for the procedure.

It's crazy how it really is down here... 'Murica!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
One of the things about our publicly funded system is that there is generally accountability for costs. In other words, a hospital can say that their operating costs are so much, staffing is another cost and it has to be broken down with line items and they can get audited.

I would imagine that the costs can't be THAT much different for the same types of procedures in the US. For example, let's say I broke my arm and had to come in and get a cast. No hospital stay, just an xray and a cast. Here, you swipe your health card and get it done and you go on your way. In the US - I suppose the cost would vary depending on your coverage, whether its in your area and other factors? What would something like that cost? Let's say the bill was $5k. You can't tell me that an xray plus a cast would be that much. I really don't know the cost of what it is here but what I do know is that its covered.

And just to dispell the myths - no, you don't have to wait for an xray if you broke your arm, or your doctor suspects you have cancer.

Anyways, not trying to turn this into a political debate, just wanting to understand the differences between systems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts