Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some Alpinestars SP-2 gloves on the weekend, but i noticed some minor quality control issues after purchase. I was going to purchase some higher end gloves, but these gloves felt like a second skin on my hand, I just needed to get them! As you can see in the picture below, the foam protector on top of the right gauntlet is larger than on the left. The right gauntlet also seems a tad longer than the left. Not sure if this is too much of an issue in regards to protection as the foam piece is SO THIN. I threw out the packaging for the gloves, therefore can't exchange them for a new pair. This is such a small issue, only people with OCD like me would get irritated. !
Has anyone else experienced quality control issues with newer Alpinestars gear? Its not a deal breaker...But I expect better quality control from a company like A*

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Alpinestars SP-8 gloves, and they are perfect. I have had a small QC issue with an Alpinestars jacket I have tho, the T-Jaws WP jacket, the hanging hook thing on the inside of the collar ripped off immediately. Like literally the first time I tried to hang the coat from the hook it ripped right out. Other than that tho the jacket is very solid, and the other stuff I have from them has been bulletproof.

Reactions: rogal88

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Can't really see the minor issues you pointed out in the picture but I will say with leathers, I'm not really going to expect the "padding" in the gloves to help me out in a fall. The protection comes from the leather itself and how it resists abrasions. Did you try measuring rather than just eyeballing it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I also had some issues with a pair of gloves. The left the index finger was longer than the right glove. But no comprise. Still a quality glove.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can't really see the minor issues you pointed out in the picture but I will say with leathers, I'm not really going to expect the "padding" in the gloves to help me out in a fall. The protection comes from the leather itself and how it resists abrasions. Did you try measuring rather than just eyeballing it?
Look at the white perforated padding behind the knuckle protectors. You can see that the glove on the right does not match the glove on the left (glove on right has much larger piece). The right gauntlet is actually longer by 1/4 inch also. It is more of an aesthetic issue. Purchasing a pair of $150 gloves, I would expect them to be symmetrical. I called GP bikes and they are sending me a return label for a straight up exchange, no re-stocking fee. They didn't care that the tags were cut off! Hopefully the new pair is better!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wonder if it is by design, since the right hand and left hand perform different functions and hand shapes while riding. Also, my right hand is about 1cm longer than my left. If this is a common thing then maybe the right glove being larger is also by design.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious... where did you get them? I ask because I know you can find name brand items on some online retail (and auction) websites that look legit and end up being nothing more than cheap knock-offs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DftIJD3BdPg
They are not knock off's. I got them from the most reputable store in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) "GP Bikes". If I purchased them from a random store that had a sale, I wouldn't be surprised!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if it is by design, since the right hand and left hand perform different functions and hand shapes while riding. Also, my right hand is about 1cm longer than my left. If this is a common thing then maybe the right glove being larger is also by design.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
See the video link below and go to 30 seconds in:

It is not be design, but at least the store was nice enough to not charge me a stocking fee, or make me pay shipping to get a new pair!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I won't bash Alpinestars, because ultimately they came good for warranty and they put out a lot of well thought out riding gear, but...

This SPECIFIC model of boot I'd advise against. The kevlar laces saw themselves to shreds and I only got two months out of them before I needed to replace them. But, like I say, they were warrantied, and this year's design has been altered, so I'm pretty sure that A-Stars knew something was wrong.

The jacket has been good, but I've had a couple miss-zips with it where it starts separating from the bottom and you are basically stuck in your jacket until you can get the zip back down to the start. It's only happened once, but for my $$ I wish they'd made a burlier zipper that wasn't so persnickety.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Look at the white perforated padding behind the knuckle protectors. You can see that the glove on the right does not match the glove on the left (glove on right has much larger piece). The right gauntlet is actually longer by 1/4 inch also. It is more of an aesthetic issue. Purchasing a pair of $150 gloves, I would expect them to be symmetrical. I called GP bikes and they are sending me a return label for a straight up exchange, no re-stocking fee. They didn't care that the tags were cut off! Hopefully the new pair is better!
I see it now. At first I was trying to figure out what you were talking about but it's plain as day lol m

·
Registered
81 Posts
I purchased some Alpinestars SP-2 gloves on the weekend, but i noticed some minor quality control issues after purchase. I was going to purchase some higher end gloves, but these gloves felt like a second skin on my hand, I just needed to get them! As you can see in the picture below, the foam protector on top of the right gauntlet is larger than on the left. The right gauntlet also seems a tad longer than the left. Not sure if this is too much of an issue in regards to protection as the foam piece is SO THIN. I threw out the packaging for the gloves, therefore can't exchange them for a new pair. This is such a small issue, only people with OCD like me would get irritated. !
Has anyone else experienced quality control issues with newer Alpinestars gear? Its not a deal breaker...But I expect better quality control from a company like A*
Hmm, got a pair SP-2s coming in on Wednesday from Revzilla. I'll be sure to look for any imperfections before riding out with them. I feel this post came right in time lol

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I can't wear Alpinestars gloves. The fingers are too long. Usually way too long. LoL

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd ask for a refund and another pair. If it's a reputable place, they won't hesitate.
If you trust the shop, maybe they are legit and just a bad pair of irregulars.
In the pics though, they do look like knockoffs.
Ya the shop is extremely reputable. They are the only shop in the GTA that carries all high end gear, most other shops carry cheap no-name stuff. They sent me a return shipping label and are sending me a new pair tomorrow :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't wear Alpinestars gloves. The fingers are too long. Usually way too long. LoL
I had that issue with the Held Evo Thrux gloves I really wanted. They were freakin awesome, but the **** thumb was 1cm long. I just pictured myself getting pissed off every time i needed to signal.
You know what they say about long fingers right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts