Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I recently purchased a hotbodies fender eliminator kit for my r3. The led turn signals on the eliminator are aluminium. I was wondering if its ok to just use a bullet connector and connect the copper oem to the aftermarket led's that are aluminium.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
http://www.stabiloy.com/NR/rdonlyre...65B903605EE/0/CorrosioninElecApplications.pdf
(what you're looking for is near the bottom of the document)

Basically, copper/aluminum electrical connections can corrode - so is it OK? Maybe. Keep moisture out (grease, shrink tubing, tape, whatever) and check them from time to time. Some aluminum connectors are tin coated - that's better than plain aluminum for corrosion potential.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Get the Yoshimura rear fender eliminator kit. I put one on my CBR, and it's very good quality.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Copper and aluminum should never be connected together unless joined through a splice designed for both types. These types of splices will keep the two metals from contacting each other but will provide an electrical path in the circuit. The only good thing about aluminum wire in my field is that it doesnt weigh as much as copper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts