Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R3
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many comments on this forum and others about the R3's engine braking when the throttle is shut off. The consensus seems to be that the R3's engine braking is too aggressive and excessive. Some have resorted to having their bike's ECU reflashed to reduce this feature. I've only owned a handful of motorbikes and admittedly the R3 has the most aggressive engine braking of any of them. But I don't see that as a problem - in fact, I like it. If I want to coast, I just feather the throttle slightly open which significantly reduces the engine braking. And when I want to slow down or stop, the engine braking helps slow down the bike without excessively applying the brakes. On wet or slippery pavement, that's not a bad thing. And it might avoid a crash during emergency braking.

Almost all of my riding is in the city, so that likely biases my comments. Perhaps if I took the bike to the track on a regular basis, I might feel differently. I'm curious what others think.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am fine with the engine braking and use it to reduce load on the rear brake when traveling on normal streets on a non-ABS bike. Many times, it's all I need to slow for intersections and works during down-shifting as well. It is also an advantage in hard stop application.

Personally, I found that, with a little practice and proper throttle cable adjustment, I can keep just a hair of throttle applied as I roll off the gas - to reduce the effect of engine braking. I can then determine when the full engine braking effect occurs. I also learned not to chop the throttle when cornering, to be smooth, and modulate that last half degree of throttle application. The R6 throttle mod made this more touchy, but is overcome with practice. It's all about learning to control the bike's behaviour. I believe too many jump to the mods bin to "fix" things, before taking the time to learn how to control the bike as it is. The result is they throw away a potentially valuable behavior (read tool), rather than learn to make it an asset.

Interestingly, I find that shorty levers cause some issues with hand and finger positioning on the throttle hand that makes modulation at very small throttle opening states more fussy. This takes some practice to work around. Once that adjustment is made, they are fine, but the stock levers are actually easier to work with. I suggest to anyone to learn to adjust and control the throttle at small opening stages first... then try the R6 throttle tube - get used to that... then try shorty levers - in that order.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've read many comments on this forum and others about the R3's engine braking when the throttle is shut off. The consensus seems to be that the R3's engine braking is too aggressive and excessive. Some have resorted to having their bike's ECU reflashed to reduce this feature. I've only owned a handful of motorbikes and admittedly the R3 has the most aggressive engine braking of any of them. But I don't see that as a problem - in fact, I like it. If I want to coast, I just feather the throttle slightly open which significantly reduces the engine braking. And when I want to slow down or stop, the engine braking helps slow down the bike without excessively applying the brakes. On wet or slippery pavement, that's not a bad thing. And it might avoid a crash during emergency braking.

Almost all of my riding is in the city, so that likely biases my comments. Perhaps if I took the bike to the track on a regular basis, I might feel differently. I'm curious what others think.
I used to think the same thing... My street bike is a 2016 Yamaha FZ-07. That bike had by far the most engine braking of any bike I've owned!!! I thought I "liked it", as I got used to it. I eventually got the ECU flashed, and the engine braking removed. It was instantly much easier to ride, and my over all riding experience improved. I bought a new R3 in 2020. I had heard the talk about the engine braking on the R3. I didn't even really notice it? I was no where near the engine braking of my "07"!!! I thought, "maybe I don't know, what I don't know"??? It turns out I was right.... After I had the ECU flashed, my R3 became a much more enjoyable experience (to me). I absolutely love it! It was a street bike for a year, and now it's my dedicated track-only bike. For track use, I can't even imagine trying to ride it with the factory ECU. For street use, I did still prefer the flashed ECU though. I understand the engine braking helps in wet/slippery conditions, and I'm totally onboard with that. But, for every action, there is always a reaction.... In dry conditions, if the engine braking is removed, the chassis/suspension is more free to do its job- without being upset by engine braking taking over.

Bottom line- if you like the engine braking, by all means, don't change a thing :cool:!!!! I just wanted to share my experiences with others-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts