Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here! Not just to the forums but also to riding a sport bike in general. Grew up riding dirt bikes/quads but that was from the age of about 8-13 (I'm 24 now). Since then I haven't really been on a bike much at all regretfully. I measure between 6'5" and 6'4" and weigh around 220 lbs. So I'm tall and fairly skinny for my height. That being said I definitely want to get into riding sport bikes and the R3 has caught my attention above all other "entry" level bikes with its performance/reviews/price.

Long story short, I have yet to be able to make it in to my local dealer to even sit on one. Anyone my height own one? Is it too cramped for a guy my size? Would I look extremely awkward?

I'd appreciate any and all input, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Hey guys I'm new here! Not just to the forums but also to riding a sport bike in general. Grew up riding dirt bikes/quads but that was from the age of about 8-13 (I'm 24 now). Since then I haven't really been on a bike much at all regretfully. I measure between 6'5" and 6'4" and weigh around 220 lbs. So I'm tall and fairly skinny for my height. That being said I definitely want to get into riding sport bikes and the R3 has caught my attention above all other "entry" level bikes with its performance/reviews/price.

Long story short, I have yet to be able to make it in to my local dealer to even sit on one. Anyone my height own one? Is it too cramped for a guy my size? Would I look extremely awkward?

I'd appreciate any and all input, thanks!
Check posts on this thread, too. Plenty of tall riders on the R3.

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-yamaha-r3-general-discussion/7465-r3-seating-taller-person.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hay Hun, I'm 5'7" and just fits me nice, it is a slim bike and surprisingly shorter seat than the 125 version. A person I know over 6ft took it out and was surprised how much he enjoyed it. All I can say is take a trip to yr dealer, I took out the demonstrator bike and was very cumfy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, I appreciate all of the feedback everyone! I finally have time to get into my local dealer and sit on one of these bad boys tomorrow, I'll try and post a picture afterwards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got a chance to sit on one. Told the guy I wanted to see their R3's and he immediately started shaking his head. Asked him why and he said "You just wont like it, I have guys bringing this bike back to me after 30 days."

Still I sat on it and made him snap a picture (lol). I felt extremely comfortable on it and loved how light it felt.

Any input? :nerd:

IMG_20150723_173713.jpg

·
Registered
255 Posts
Finally got a chance to sit on one...I felt extremely comfortable on it and loved how light it felt.

Any input? :nerd:
Honestly, I'd say it's ultimately up to you. I too am a new rider, and I sat on quite a few bikes before choosing the R3. It sounds like you liked it! :)

I'm a big girl, 6' and we won't talk about my weight :p (I'm working on that), and the R3 was the most comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. The combination of how I feel on the bike and it's looks is what ultimately made me buy one.

I really don't care how I look on the bike. I bought it to have fun, learn to ride, and find a new joy in life. If people think I look like a whale riding a mini-bike that's their problem, not mine. I'm too busy enjoying my R3 to worry about those negative opinions.

You look tall for the bike, obviously, but if it's comfortable that's what you should focus on (my newbie two cents) :)

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Honestly, I'd say it's ultimately up to you. I too am a new rider, and I sat on quite a few bikes before choosing the R3. It sounds like you liked it! :)

I'm a big girl, 6' and we won't talk about my weight :p (I'm working on that), and the R3 was the most comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. The combination of how I feel on the bike and it's looks is what ultimately made me buy one.

I really don't care how I look on the bike. I bought it to have fun, learn to ride, and find a new joy in life. If people think I look like a whale riding a mini-bike that's their problem, not mine. I'm too busy enjoying my R3 to worry about those negative opinions.

You look tall for the bike, obviously, but if it's comfortable that's what you should focus on (my newbie two cents) :)
Sounds like you chose it for all the right reasons, Rachael.

I saw your 1st YouTube video today and subscribed. I look forward to watching your adventures on your R3!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Coming from a newbie rider myself I found your comment quite helpful and inspiring to get an R3! Generally I'm just looking to have fun myself and learn to ride.

One question, did you test ride it (or any other bikes) before you made your decision?

P.S. I dug your first YouTube upload, keep em coming!

·
Registered
255 Posts
No, I didn't do any test rides; I only sat on a number of bikes trying to get a general feel for the riding position. Not having any confidence when just starting out I was too scared to test ride anything.

Now that I've put just over 100 miles on my R3 I'd say my confidence has grown a bit ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why does everyone think this is such a small bike ???
In almost every measurement and against a LOT of different bikes it is overall bigger or the same size as MOST !!!
Even the R-1 !!! It actually DWARFS the R-6 !!!
The only place it is smaller is in the tank and seat height...
I am 6'3" tall, 250 lbs and sat on one the other day and it fits me just as well as my 93' GSXR-750 and 06' Buell XB1200RR did !!!
I plan on buying one later this year... :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Im over 6 ft, hate the low seat but that's an easy fix, felt like a huge trailbike when I first sat on it, but at the track its perfect, can move my body anywhere, almost got elbow down in the 4th session,
so spent the rest of the day pulling elbow in and trying not to scrape my new leathers which I said my goal was to never scratch the kneesliders.

Its not cramped and awkward like a Ninja or or cbr250RR, more like a cbr250 single, and just as agile.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Im over 6 ft, hate the low seat but that's an easy fix, felt like a huge trailbike when I first sat on it, but at the track its perfect, can move my body anywhere, almost got elbow down in the 4th session,
so spent the rest of the day pulling elbow in and trying not to scrape my new leathers which I said my goal was to never scratch the kneesliders.

Its not cramped and awkward like a Ninja or or cbr250RR, more like a cbr250 single, and just as agile.
Very agile! Nice Pic!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts