Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to buy a R3 this July. I know I might want a bigger bike later but I want to learn on a R3 a d later give it to my wife.

I'm 5'11 and 275 pounds with normal clothes on. I'll never have a passenger.. but question I have is will a R3 even carry my and still move decently and not bottom out? I know I need to lose weight and am working on it. A year ago I was 330 pounds. I know I was almost too heavy then . Please let me know.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The suspensions will be a bit soft for you for sure, but that's easy to change. Springs are meant to be changed on bikes to suit your weight. Manufacturers usually set the suspensions out of the factory for someone that's around 150-180 lbs depending on the brand and model, so probably a lot of us are too heavy for it. Change your springs and you'll be fine.

Oh and good job on the weight loss and keep up the work! I've been struggling with it for years! I was at 240 at my worst, and now I'm around 215. Hoping to get to 200 but I've sort of hit a plateau :/

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Congrats on the weight loss. There are some heavier riders or there on an R3. That said, haven't heard of anyone in your range with the exception of maybe one other guy on this forum. Can't remember his name but it had "wolf" in it so if you can find his posts then that should give some insight. If you have the preload set at max on the shock, the rear may work out. The front springs are def going to need swapping out to a heavier one. Another bike to consider for your weight might be the ninja 650. A used one can be had for the same price as a brand new R3, and some used 2012+ 650's are in the same range as the used R3's. That bike has really heavy fork springs, 1.1kg/mm if I recall correctly. That bike is a pretty good beginner/commuter bike as well so even if you pass it down to he wife, it should/could be beginner-friendly. Everyone is different, I moved from a 1999 ex500 to a 650 after 3000 miles. I'm 144 lbs on a good day and the bike never felt overwhelming to me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I looked online to see what kind of springs they had. Was not very successful in finding really anything.
Email Jesse at Yamahar3racing.com and he will get you sorted!

Awesome job on the weight loss, keep going. It gets easier if you stay commited

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
If this is your first bike you'll be fine on stock springs. The shock is preload adjustable. Not trying to say proper suspension isn't important, it is when you want it to be. Once you move past riding around your neighborhood or church parking lot, then YOU can decide if you need it or not. You'll probably find the suspension is just fine. Be careful out there and have fun. It's a good bike.

Edit: also want to add, respringing stock shock is a waste of time. It pogo sticks already as is under hard use. If you start upgrading suspension, do it right, and it's not cheap.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If this is your first bike you'll be fine on stock springs. The shock is preload adjustable. Not trying to say proper suspension isn't important, it is when you want it to be. Once you move past riding around your neighborhood or church parking lot, then YOU can decide if you need it or not. You'll probably find the suspension is just fine. Be careful out there and have fun. It's a good bike.
I would disagree with that. i am not sure what the exact spring weight is up front, but for a ~144 lbs rider the front definitely feels really soft. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone almost twice my weight would feel riding it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I would disagree with that. i am not sure what the exact spring weight is up front, but for a ~144 lbs rider the front definitely feels really soft. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone almost twice my weight would feel riding it.
Agreed. If it's anything like the ninja 300s, it's too soft. I weigh considerably less than him and I bottom out the front end on the ninja 300s all the time (I ride a lot of them because that's what we have at the place where I teach MSF classes). Any hard braking combined with going over a little bump and I bottom out. I can only imagine weighing an extra 50 lbs would be a guarantee.

·
Registered
53 Posts
True enough, it's soft. But the guy's just starting out. Let him get a feel for it first, he might feel fine the way it is. We all ride differently. Changing springs only is still a waste for the benefit. Changing fork springs? Might as well drop some emulators in there too if you're going through the trouble. A stronger shock spring would definitely blow through any damping ability it has. OP also stated he just wanted to learn on it and then pass it on to his girl.

Morgan, if you're willing to spend any money at all, springs and emulators in the forks, replace rear shock with a single adjustable unit. If you do springs only, you won't be happy for the time and money spent.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah I'd have to say go with the ninja 650 too, I'm 5'9 ~230lbs and it's pretty fun but the front forks are spongey even at my weight (never bottoms out though). You'd probably have a much better time on a ninja 650 power wise too but while still being easy to learn on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey man.. we are almost in the same situation! I am 270 5'11" and was 340lb last June. My goal is 100bs in a year and I am on track. The R3 is my present to myself for the progress made thus far. I have always wanted a sport bike but felt I was too big. Keep it up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I weigh ~260lbs. Through twisty roads, I normally dont have too much trouble keeping up with 600cc bikes, given the ability of their rider.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice.. yeah I almost talked my self out of the R3 given my current size.. but again, I am steadily losing wright and I feel pretty comfy just sitting on the bike.. I have yet to ride it though. Or any bike for that matter. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm definitely in the 200+ category - no excuses, but I blame the 6 months of winter...

When I first got my R3, yes, I found the suspension lacking. But I dialed in the preload on the rear and it was better. As far as the forks?; yeah they were pogo'y. But I also used this as a teaching tool to be smoother on throttle/brake transitions. Now I don't notice it unless I'm practicing panic stops, but even then the key is being progressive and the front end dive is manageable.

I've also ridden two-up on her, and she's fine. It's definitely at the limit, but it's not such a comfortable pillion perch anyway, so it's not like the rides are so long that it matters. My 2nd bike will likely be a bigger bike, but only because I'd like to tour - something like a later model VFR or FJR. The R3 will remain my solo toy. A 600 and I are a problem waiting to happen. At least I can wring out the R3 and feel fast, without being too much of a lunatic. I've still touched 180km/hr all tucked in, so what else do you REALLY need? The R3 is a demon in the corners, and like I say it's teaching me to be a far better rider than if I had a ton of thrust at my command.

I'm also trying (but, like, not actually doing anything about it...) to lose some pounds. My goal here is a leather suit for some track sessions (and they fit tight as it is) and those days I go riding for 6+ hours on the twisties.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
If this is your first bike, the R3 will feel like it's more than enough no matter what. Down the road, it may start to feel sluggish as your experience grows but like you said, you're continuing to lose as well... it may never be an issue for you.

Regardless of whether or not you "outgrow" the bike down the road, it should be a great option to start with. Considering your size, I'd look at bikes like the CBR500r as well. A little bigger in size and a little more torque (and a little more pricetag too) ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Id go with an SV650....v-twin engine > parallel twin IMO

and if need be you can swap GSXR parts onto the SV without major modifications I hear (rear shocks, forks etc.) but you may have to do some cross compatibility research as I am not too sure on the exact details.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I really want to buy a R3 this July. I know I might want a bigger bike later but I want to learn on a R3 a d later give it to my wife.

I'm 5'11 and 275 pounds with normal clothes on. I'll never have a passenger.. but question I have is will a R3 even carry my and still move decently and not bottom out? I know I need to lose weight and am working on it. A year ago I was 330 pounds. I know I was almost too heavy then . Please let me know.

I am 6'2" and almost 300 pounds and i love the r3, I even race and still on stock suspension. Don't worry about the suspension to start. Learn and enjoy, get your self a few track days in and get ride of bad habits before they start. Congrats on the weight loss, i am trying to drop a bunch of weight but not working to well so good for you. enjoy the bike enjoy the learning and see where you go from there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts