Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R3s everywhere on campus!

I'm pretty sure its up to 6 different bikes now that I've seen in the last month. Loads on ninja 250/300s as well.

I'm sure it's mostly because these are the only bikes college kids can afford, but it's still cool to see so many small cc bikes all over.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not really, same price you can pick up a used 600 or liter. I rode to school because parking was horrendous. Takes over 3x as long to get from my bed to my classroom by car than it does by motorcycle or even bicycle...

·
Super Moderator
936 Posts
Good point on costs of a larger preowned bike. But don't forget the additional expense of insurance, more fuel because of reduced MPG, etc., and generally, more expensive tires and so on. The smaller displacement bikes , like the R3, are amazing at what they offer in technology, dependability, and fun transportation. For the overall cost, they're really hard to beat.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really, same price you can pick up a used 600 or liter. I rode to school because parking was horrendous. Takes over 3x as long to get from my bed to my classroom by car than it does by motorcycle or even bicycle...
I'll disagree and side with airhead here. I do see some older 600s around campus, but I don't think ownership costs are in the same league despite similar purchase prices.

A used ninja 300 or r3 is 3 grand or less and is likely still in great shape. You can't say the same for a liter bike bought for 3k. Odds are you'll need to fix something on it right away, and more soon after. Insurance for a 20 year old on an r6/1, tires every 4000 miles, 35 mpg, etc separate things further.

Anecdotally, my r3 is substantially cheaper than my fz8 was to keep on the road(which I'd also bought new) or my wife's striple.

Bikes I would consider comparable in ownership costs are the sv650,ninja 650 or versys types that are heavily detuned and built like tanks. The only catch is that they don't "look cool" so it tends to keeps away a large part of the crowd.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'll disagree and side with airhead here. I do see some older 600s around campus, but I don't think ownership costs are in the same league despite similar purchase prices.

A used ninja 300 or r3 is 3 grand or less and is likely still in great shape. You can't say the same for a liter bike bought for 3k. Odds are you'll need to fix something on it right away, and more soon after. Insurance for a 20 year old on an r6/1, tires every 4000 miles, 35 mpg, etc separate things further.

Anecdotally, my r3 is substantially cheaper than my fz8 was to keep on the road(which I'd also bought new) or my wife's striple.

Bikes I would consider comparable in ownership costs are the sv650,ninja 650 or versys types that are heavily detuned and built like tanks. The only catch is that they don't "look cool" so it tends to keeps away a large part of the crowd.
Guess it depends where you live. When I was in college I picked up an 05 cbr600rr and the cost of ownership was marginally different than the R3 I have now.

In California the R3 is in the same insurance bracket as the 600s, tires were a little more expensive but changed them every 8k miles, got ~40mpg, and registration was about the same. As for repairs there weren't any needed until I added the power commander :p

·
Registered
329 Posts
In California the R3 is in the same insurance bracket as the 600s, tires were a little more expensive but changed them every 8k miles, got ~40mpg, and registration was about the same.
Where in CA is the R3 insurance same as a 600? I got a quote for an R6 and it was much more than getting my R3 insured.

·
Super Moderator
936 Posts
Ass backwards insurance we all have. Need to change registration on my bike too. Says it has 289cc *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may want to check before you make any changes to "correct" displacement size. Sometimes more are more costly? Registration in NC equally insurance info, equals cost of insurance based on lots of things (including engine cc size). Just saying. I wouldn't want to under insure my bike, I'm not saying that, and I'm not sure what your "registration" involves. I'm just thinking out loud, and God knows, that can be a mistake for me to do.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My insurance company didn't even ask the purchase price, just if there was a lien on it. My rate was based almost entirely on riding experience and the bike itself. Quoted an R6 at the same time and it was $250/mo vs $50/mo. My assumption is that they don't really care much how much the bike costs because in a motorcycle wreck, the thing that is gonna cost them the most is injuries to the rider. Faster bike/less experience means they're likely going to have to pay out substantially more in case of a mishap.

Declared purchase price effects insurance rates. A 600 in the same price range as an R3 would be similar in price for insurance per discussion above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts