Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- new to the forum... tried searching but only found the opposite of what I'm looking for. I have a 2019 with the digital tach... I much prefer the 2018 with the analog tach. Can I swap out the 2019 for the 2018 and call it a day?
If so, do i need a special adapter?
If no, are there other option on the market with an analog tach?
Does the R6 dash plug n play?

Thanks in advance -

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
possible with rewiring and another plug for the cluster
Is your response just a guess? Asking seriously bc I researched extensively images of the rear of both clusters and the connections look identical to each other.. even the mounting brackets look almost identical... so I'm thinking they may be interchangeable. Have you tried it?

· Registered
464 Posts
Hi- new to the forum... tried searching but only found the opposite of what I'm looking for. I have a 2019 with the digital tach... I much prefer the 2018 with the analog tach. Can I swap out the 2019 for the 2018 and call it a day?
If so, do i need a special adapter?
If no, are there other option on the market with an analog tach?
Does the R6 dash plug n play?

Thanks in advance -
The plug that connects the dash to the wire harness between gen1 (2015 to 2018) and gen 2 (2019-) look the same. You'd need to swap the mount, display, and display housing as one. Assumes that the mounting for the meter bracket on the later triple clamp is the same (not likely), or the bracket will need to be modified. Then, keep fingers crossed that the data fed from the wire harness is the same, so the meters function. Could work, since the ECU's are the same across all models, and the data comes from the ECU. One of those things where it would be nice to have a buddy with the older display willing to let you plug it into the newer bike to see what happens.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The plug that connects the dash to the wire harness between gen1 (2015 to 2018) and gen 2 (2019-) look the same. You'd need to swap the mount, display, and display housing as one. Assumes that the mounting for the meter bracket on the later triple clamp is the same (not likely), or the bracket will need to be modified. Then, keep fingers crossed that the data fed from the wire harness is the same, so the meters function. Could work, since the ECU's are the same across all models, and the data comes from the ECU. One of those things where it would be nice to have a buddy with the older display willing to let you plug it into the newer bike to see what happens.
Yeah, I can fabricate my own mount so the mount is the least if my concerns... my biggest concern is that I couldn't re-pin the harness if the pinning wasn't the same... that's really why I was asking here, to see if anyone had already tried to plug a Gen 1 into a Gen 2 or vice versa. I might just but a used Gen 1 and see what happens, lol... at least we could definitively say if it works or not.

· Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, I can fabricate my own mount so the mount is the least if my concerns... my biggest concern is that I couldn't re-pin the harness if the pinning wasn't the same... that's really why I was asking here, to see if anyone had already tried to plug a Gen 1 into a Gen 2 or vice versa. I might just but a used Gen 1 and see what happens, lol... at least we could definitively say if it works or not.
Probably best to check the service manual for both generation if the pinout are the same.

· Registered
431 Posts
H4 dual filament bulbs?

The mounting arrangements are deliberately not interchangeable with those of a single filament H7 bulb. The reflectors for a single filament H7 bulb (stock) are optimised on one side for low beam and on the other side for high beam; having two completely separate reflectors allows them to be optimised for each application. The reflectors for a dual filament H4 bulb are designed for both low and high beam (a compromise...) and do not have the same geometry as either a low-beam-only reflector or a high-beam-only reflector.

Translation: even if you wired the circuit so that H4 bulbs will "function" (which is easy enough), and even if you somehow butchered them into fitting the housings, they will not put out the correct beam pattern on either high or low beam.

So, it ends up being an easy job - leave it alone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts