Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have installed the andreanni fork cartridge kit, what fork oil height (from the top of the inner tube) are you running?

My instructions says the value on page 13 of the manual, but there is no page 13. OEM suggest 121 mm, but this seemed really low, especially when considering thats nowhere near the 487 mm volume that the OEM manual calls for.

If your running Ohlins or Ak's, i'd love to hear your fork oil height too, can't imagine it would be that much different.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am guessing you are mixing mm and ml up. 487 ml in each fork. This would give you a 121mm air gap. I know I was running 140mm air gap on my Forks by Matt set up.

Air gap being the difference between where the oil level was and the top of the fork with the spring removed and the fork fully compressed.

I may just be misunderstanding you though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
any value between 120 and 150mm will "work". What matters is how much of the stroke you are using in your hardest braking zone. If you're on the bottom, add oil. If you're not anywhere close to the bottom, check to make sure something else isn't amiss, and then take oil out. I would start with at least 130mm oil level and go from there. The air spring only comes in aggressively at the end of travel. I've been building forks of late with 140 and that seems to be a good setting.

The Andreani has no hydro-lock, just some rubber o-rings when things 'crash'. So it does stand to reason they'd say 120mm but at that level you don't get the full travel. With suspension some experimentation will be needed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am guessing you are mixing mm and ml up. 487 ml in each fork. This would give you a 121mm air gap. I know I was running 140mm air gap on my Forks by Matt set up.

Air gap being the difference between where the oil level was and the top of the fork with the spring removed and the fork fully compressed.

I may just be misunderstanding you though.
Thanks for the response, and yeah the second mm was a typo. What cartridges were you running? or where they modified poem internals?

any value between 120 and 150mm will "work". What matters is how much of the stroke you are using in your hardest braking zone. If you're on the bottom, add oil. If you're not anywhere close to the bottom, check to make sure something else isn't amiss, and then take oil out. I would start with at least 130mm oil level and go from there. The air spring only comes in aggressively at the end of travel. I've been building forks of late with 140 and that seems to be a good setting.

The Andreani has no hydro-lock, just some rubber o-rings when things 'crash'. So it does stand to reason they'd say 120mm but at that level you don't get the full travel. With suspension some experimentation will be needed.
Thanks for answering, Andreanni did not specify an air gap (or that page was missing from my instructions, the 120 came from the OEM manual with the OEM internals

1 - 4 of 4 Posts