Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this anodized racing slip on exhaust have had two issues right out of the box:

1. the springs are WAY too short not even half the length they need to be to reach. No way they are going on. Kit came with 4 springs but doubling up too loose fit. Going to order some 100mm Moose springs that should work. Strange thing is that it came with the loops like they expected me to weld them where they should have been on the adapter pipe not the opposite side!

2. the small side of the pipe is a loose fit into the exhaust box on the bike. It didn't come with an exhaust seal did people try to reuse their yamaha one? I fear mine would shred to pieces trying to get it out of the stock pipe.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hate to say this, and I don't want you to take this in a negative way. Unfortunately, you got what you paid for.... Cheap Chinese exhausts are just that. You can get an Akrapovic GP slip-on for like $275, or buy a used one on this site for like $200. The fit & finish is second to none! As far as your current dilemma, maybe check an automotive exhaust shop, or auto parts store for a gasket that's the right size. I think you did right by ordering longer springs.... Good luck-

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally get that - I have a classic car and have learned this lesson before.

In Canada this exhaust was $100 vs $500 minimum for Acrapovic slip on - we are not the USA. Not dropping that kind of money on a not forever bike. Others on this site have made this product work so I'm curious what has changed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same exhaust. Those springs are correct and supposed to be stretched hard to connect them. That's how it keeps the exhaust on tight. Google it and you'll see it's normal. I used some hard rope and the first spring was easy. The second spring took a lot of elbow grease and needed my wife's help. Note: i needed to buy a Yamaha exhaust gasket for the connection to the pipe in the front. 12 bucks from an motorcycle shop.

BTW the exhaust is amazing for 60 bucks shipped for others looking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're telling me you got a 3" spring to stretch 6"? I couldn't even do it using my trampoline spring tool which is just like the pro ones. I think I'll just wait for the proper length springs to come in that I ordered. They aren't supposed to be stretched more than 20%.

Exhaust gasket is ordered too - hopefully I can get because my local dealer already can't get. Yamaha Canada closed due to COVID.

Feeling a bit more confident now thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand what you mean. What other order can you put it together?

The adapter flange has two sides - the narrow side that clamps on to the exhaust box and the wider side that the springs hold into the muffler. The spring attachments are welded onto the narrow side of the adapter.

Note I just have double springs in the pic to show the distance between the spring attachments.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pic of mine for reference. Looking at yours again, it appears you have an extra piece of piping on there that shouldn't be there. You can see my exhaust is shorter from where the exhaust supporting rubber piece is holding it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wait .... so you aren't using the cone shaped piece that was inside the muffler? I didn't even realize that came out.

That would certainly shorten up the spring pull. I still need the exhaust gasket unfortunately delayed thanks to COVID19 but hoping to get one from the USA for double my local price :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pic of mine for reference. Looking at yours again, it appears you have an extra piece of piping on there that shouldn't be there. You can see my exhaust is shorter from where the exhaust supporting rubber piece is holding it.

That looks better :cool:. It looks like maybe you used "header tape" from an auto parts store as a gasket? I've done that "in a pinch" on dirt bikes. It actually works pretty well- @Mikus11 this could buy you some time if you're waiting on parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh wait .... so you aren't using the cone shaped piece that was inside the muffler? I didn't even realize that came out.

That would certainly shorten up the spring pull. I still need the exhaust gasket unfortunately delayed thanks to COVID19 but hoping to get one from the USA for double my local price :(
I'm not even sure of the purpose of that piece. Was it in the muffler originally, maybe a silencer? R3 slipons don't increase the volume of the exhaust note due to the cat so it's not needed.

That looks better :cool:. It looks like maybe you used "header tape" from an auto parts store as a gasket? I've done that "in a pinch" on dirt bikes. It actually works pretty well- @Mikus11 this could buy you some time if you're waiting on parts.
That's actually my Yamaha gasket which got smashed up because the slipon connection was too tight to fit it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it was insider the muffler. Must have been for a different application? Definitely not a silencer it is cone shaped on the one side for a press seal I believe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Mikus11 @remygee @anyone who's had experience with ebay type parts:
I'm seeing a few of these chinese type non branded/fake branded exhausts, want to pull the trigger and order but have heard horror stories about customs/duties.. sometimes even being 100%+ in duties of the price of the actual part. Checked Border Buddy, and the cheap $60-80 exhaust coming from China would incur nearly 100% if not more in duties when coming into Canada. I would love to buy local if I had the opportunity.. anyone had to pay a shitload of duties?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got this one off amazon $100. They shipped UPS worldwide from China, I got dinged $14 on brokerage and tax.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anytime fellow Canuck. Just make sure you can get the exhaust gasket - Yamaha Canada is closed due to COVID-19 and my local dealer said they couldn't get any parts they didn't already have in stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Exhaust gasket you say? Not something I could reuse from the stock setup? I'm gonna be looking for one that comes with a mid-pipe. Will go take some measurements too, can't seem to find the diameter of the pipe coming out of the cat.. I was assuming with a 32mm-51mm mid-pipe and can I'd be good to go?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would ordering from Amazon make it so you are safe from the customs/duties?

Sold out right now, but this is the one I got for 60 shipped:

I'm eye'ing this full exhaust for 100 but I know we need an ECU retune with it and that'll be a cool 500 which I don't want to spend ?

Regarding the gasket, I got mine from a local motorcycle shop. You could go to an Autozone equivalent and they got random exhaust gasket type material that could be used. You definitely cannot get the stock one out because it's pretty much stuck in there and will break into pieces pulling it out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts