Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really know what else I can say that Deddie hasn't said about suspension upgrades (and the Penske shock), but I'd like to mention my first impressions about the suspension combination I chose from Jesse at yamahaR3racing.com.

Super-quick background: About 230 pounds in gear, so I was really deep in the suspension travel just sitting on the bike. The stock suspension from what I could gather would pretty much bottom out when I tried to really get on it. I am not a pro rider, don't get to race, etc. Just someone who is enjoying getting back into motorcycling after a 4 year hiatus with the goal of getting to a few track days every riding season. After reading what people found made the biggest improvement to their riding enjoyment suspension came up again and again. So, like Deddie I started making inquiries and Jesse from yamahaR3racing.com worked with me to get my setup: Penske rear shock and traxxion dynamics fork spring and emulator kit. Both dialed in for my rider weight and riding style/goals.

(I'll review Jesse's awesome advice and customer service soon and in his vendor section, but I have to get up super early for work)

Today was my first ride with this suspension setup. Absolute night and day difference for me versus stock! Road bumps are a little more "jarring" but have less peak "whomp!" than stock. The stability tradeoff that you can feel even in a straight line (subjectively, I felt less battered by cross-winds or vehicle turbulence) more than compensates for the stiffer ride. It also feels "faster" on the turn in and "lighter" doing S-turn transitions. I notice I go slightly faster through turns with less lean angle and thanks to the stability more confidence than I did on the stock suspension.

There is a hard left turn near my house that I use to work on my fundamentals and I've tried many different things to make going through faster and less "sloppy". Turn in points, varying my throttle control, turn in speed ("quick flicking"), hanging off, etc. Not only did I take this turn faster than I ever have on my way home today, but the bike turned in so fast and with such laser-like precision I need to re-evaluate how late I should turn in. As a result I also used less lean angle so I feel more confident I can be more aggressive in the future.

Recently I had a chance to demo a GSX-R600 and the new SV650. I might be crazy (wouldn't be new to be told that again) but with the way the R3 behaves now with this suspension combination I would take the R3 over these two bikes in a second when it comes to taking corners.

Even though I only have about 40km on this new setup, I am really excited to go corner carving. Can't wait for track day! Your suspension needs may be different than mine like if you're 50 lbs lighter than me, but for my weight, my abilities, my roads and my desires to turn up the fun factor this was money well spent. Thanks again Jesse! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The SV650 has suspension no better than the R3 (maybe even worse) and the GSX is again a very disappointing effort.
Glad the updates are working their magic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The are indeed! I am extremely happy with this setup. I really wish I could find a good way to describe the difference but anything I can think of isn't quite right. Words like "precise", "planted" or "stable" are part of it but its not the whole story. Perhaps another facet of it is when I try to apply my skills I have more confidence that the feedback I get from the bike is due to what I am doing "right" or "wrong" instead of having doubts whether or not the feedback is being filtered through a suspension setup that isn't quite right for my weight and riding style.

If that's magic, I'll take it! :)

As a site note, I have FAR less nose dive under heavy braking due to the stiffer forks. Another plus!

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
I'm so glad you're happy David. Proper suspension makes such an amazing difference and improves the ride more than any other mod.

Also, I posted this on Deddie's thread, but thought I would paste it here as well so people understand what's happening with the R3:
The jarring from the shock is also to be expected. Unfortunately with the R3s linkless suspension, you have a very narrow band of properly working rear suspension. The soft stock shock works well for lower speeds, and soaks up those road bumps nicely, but at higher speeds, you blow through the stroke and it's a mess. Same thing with the new Penske shock. I spec my Penske shocks for racers with light damping and a very stiff spring. This provides amazing support and feedback at higher corner speeds, but can leave the bike a little jarring if you're driving down the road at 55 and hit a pot hole. If a customer is buying a shock for street riding, like DPIW, they will get a lighter spring per weight than someone like Deddie who is buying it for racing, as the corner speeds are very different. But both will work amazingly well at keeping the bike planted to the pavement while cornering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts