Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my 2017 R3 (Yamaha Blue [Non ABS]) around March of this year, just got the call today that it'll be arriving this Friday. I am beyond excited and can't wait to ride my little guy around Hawaii for the foreseeable future.

A little about myself,

Name: Christopher (Chris)
Experience on Motorcycles: Besides the Motorcycle Safety Course I've only ever ridden as passenger on a motorcycle, again delighted to start riding

If you want to know anything else about me don't hesitate to ask, and when I get my bike this Friday I will be sure to post pictures of it for you all to see.

Thank you for your time,

Chris

Reactions: sensasianone

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome!

Go Army
(Try to) beat Navy!

Also, chill man, this is a bike forum, no need to sign "V/R" lol.

Also, not sure if they make you guys do it, but we have to do the Military sportbike rider course as well. In my opinion, the MSF courses for military courses are all worth it. You get to go ride bikes for the whole day rather than be at work. So between the BRC, ERC, ARC, MSRC, it's a lot of courses you can take and renew every few years.

Last edit: don't follow the stupid mentality of not riding with a helmet just because the state says you don't need it. One of my friends who was stationed there a while back said it wasn't required by law.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome!

Go Army
(Try to) beat Navy!

Also, chill man, this is a bike forum, no need to sign "V/R" lol.

Also, not sure if they make you guys do it, but we have to do the Military sportbike rider course as well. In my opinion, the MSF courses for military courses are all worth it. You get to go ride bikes for the whole day rather than be at work. So between the BRC, ERC, ARC, MSRC, it's a lot of courses you can take and renew every few years.

Last edit: don't follow the stupid mentality of not riding with a helmet just because the state says you don't need it. One of my friends who was stationed there a while back said it wasn't required by law.
The V/R is a force of habit been doing it the last ~6 years kind of second nature at this point, like you know something feels off if it isn't there.

And yeah I have to do the Sports Riders Course in the next 6 months, which I will be doing (Mandatory but good experience)

Also I am extremely safety oriented, the only piece of gear I'm not keen on keeping is the massive reflective vest I have to wear at night. I've always ridden with a helmet and will continue to do so (Shoei GT Air is my current helmet) Also have an Alpinestar leather jacket and some riding pants. Haven't gotten along to buying riding boots just because the hassle of swapping them out when I go to/from work.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The V/R is a force of habit been doing it the last ~6 years kind of second nature at this point, like you know something feels off if it isn't there.

And yeah I have to do the Sports Riders Course in the next 6 months, which I will be doing (Mandatory but good experience)

Also I am extremely safety oriented, the only piece of gear I'm not keen on keeping is the massive reflective vest I have to wear at night. I've always ridden with a helmet and will continue to do so (Shoei GT Air is my current helmet) Also have an Alpinestar leather jacket and some riding pants. Haven't gotten along to buying riding boots just because the hassle of swapping them out when I go to/from work.
Lol tell me about it. Been "v/r"-ing emails since 16 years ago now lol. But only in emails and only official ones. I actually like my reflective vest at night. I don't even notice it's on me but I know it does a great job reflecting. One thing though is you have to plan to wear it, as in you know you will be riding at night. Plans change and most days I plan to be home right after work, and never really think about bringing it because I won't be home after dark. Also, if you wear a backpack most of the time like me, it needs to be under the backpack or it won't do anything for you.

You should look into riding boots that Velcro shut. I have AStars roam 2 boots and it takes about 5 seconds each to put on and securely shut. They are waterproof, and though they aren't a track boot, they will do ok on the track. I've crashed in those things a few times now and have been my daily boot since 2013. I don't wear my work boots cause I don't like scuffing the polish, but more importantly they are not stiff enough to protect my ankles in a crash, even though they extend well past the ankle and to my calf.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ignore the above post, I thought I could embed it, realized I can't then realized I can't edit my posts. If the attachment fails then this link should show my bike. https://youtu.be/IHF-RExEQHg

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Lol tell me about it. Been "v/r"-ing emails since 16 years ago now lol. But only in emails and only official ones. I actually like my reflective vest at night. I don't even notice it's on me but I know it does a great job reflecting. One thing though is you have to plan to wear it, as in you know you will be riding at night. Plans change and most days I plan to be home right after work, and never really think about bringing it because I won't be home after dark. Also, if you wear a backpack most of the time like me, it needs to be under the backpack or it won't do anything for you.

You should look into riding boots that Velcro shut. I have AStars roam 2 boots and it takes about 5 seconds each to put on and securely shut. They are waterproof, and though they aren't a track boot, they will do ok on the track. I've crashed in those things a few times now and have been my daily boot since 2013. I don't wear my work boots cause I don't like scuffing the polish, but more importantly they are not stiff enough to protect my ankles in a crash, even though they extend well past the ankle and to my calf.

It needs to be under the vest, not under the backpack. I said that wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts