Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a salvage Raven 2015 to replace my GSXR750 track bike that was recently sold. Looking to make a ULW track bike for giggles.

I'll tell a sad story about a little 2015 Raven R3.

Title from NC was issued on 6/15/2016. Taking into account it normally takes about 30 days for the state to issue a title, that means the bike was likely purchased in early/mid May 2016.

On 6/27, Progressive sold the bike to auction. 1074 miles in about 45 days, and the poor bike ended her life on the street.

Here's what she looked like when I got her.

Time to start stripping it down and seeing what's underneath.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started stripping it down. Not a single piece of street fairings were untouched, except the gas tank cover.

Well, off they come...

Everything from the left side:

And from the right...

All in the trash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put in a giant order at Motomummy.com and another at yamahar3racing.com (jbluetooth's site) for some bits and pieces to put it back together.

Started getting pieces in the mail yesterday... :)

Woodcraft slider spools

Evotech keyless gas cap. Going full keyless, so I need to get rid of the gas cap.

Block off plates got here from jbluetooth

Pulled the evap canister and superfluous hoses, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Now I'm burning up the F5 key on the shipping for the rest of the parts...

To come:

Ohlins YA467 rear shock
M4 full exhaust
PCV
Brembo RSC 15
GB Racing case covers
Woodcraft keyswitch eliminator
Woodcraft universal 1.5" rise 41mm clip-ons
Woodcraft adjustable GP shift rearsets
Armour Bodies supersport bodywork
K-tech IDS20 cartridges

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you have the model number or similar for the evotech gas cap? I can't find one specific to the R3. I figured there is probably a degree of universal fit, just don't know which other bike would be the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looking good! Hopefully I'll be starting on my build soon.

Any particular reason you chose the K-Tech's over others? I'm still debating what fronts I want to use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do you have the model number or similar for the evotech gas cap? I can't find one specific to the R3. I figured there is probably a degree of universal fit, just don't know which other bike would be the same.
I don't, but I'll look it up tomorrow. To get the rubber gasket to fit, I had to cut the circular tabs so that it could get around the internal screw wells on the cap. It doesn't affect the seal at all.

Edit:

Checked the part number, it's just the "generic" Yamaha version. It's not R3 specific.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking good! Hopefully I'll be starting on my build soon.

Any particular reason you chose the K-Tech's over others? I'm still debating what fronts I want to use.
I went with the ktech because my local suspension guy is a ktech rep and I was following his advice. I had a line on Öhlins NIX22s for super cheap, but he recommended the ktech over the NIX.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was like Christmas in July on Friday. Lots of stuff came in, so I had a busy weekend.

Started with the easy stuff, and threw a CRG lever on the clutch to replace the broken one. Also pulled the wiring for the left pod, because it's no longer needed.

Next up, Woodcraft rearsets.

Followed up with M4 full exhaust and GB Racing case covers.

Since I had the gas tank off already, the Woodcraft keyswitch eliminator and the PCV go on next.

It's all apart anyway... might as well take off the triple to remove the key ignition. No need for that anymore. No keys means one less thing to forget to bring to the track...

Wrapped up the day after putting the new shock on.

Still to go: fork cartridges, Brembo RCS 15 master, clip ons, S20 Evo tires, and bodywork.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forks off to get carts installed... she's coming together nicely! I'm excited. Not much left except brakes, bodywork, and clip-ons!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
This pic is a bit out of order, but I've been busy, sorry. :)

Forks finally came in, ktech IDS 20 carts.

After that, I got the bodywork in and fitted. Armour Bodies:

Starting to fit them

Interesting clearance issue here. They will not fit with the sidestand on, unless you cut the belly pan. For a track bike, I normally like to have a side stand. Just makes things easier, and I don't plan on racing it. Ah well. Off with the sidestand.

There we go.

Coming together now.

I had originally planned to send them off for paint before going anywhere with it, but something about life and best laid plans...

So on the trailer it goes for a 1300 mile trip to Utah Motorsports Campus!

(The MV belongs to my good friend, and the S1000RR is his wife's... :eek: )

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1200 miles and 20 hours in the car later, at UMC!

Pardon the form. That seat is LOW! Definitely gotta raise it up. It rides like a chopper. So we spent all of day two dialing in the geometry as best we could. Raised the rear seat height a LOT, then evened it out with the front so that it wasn't too steep. Luckily we had a good friend's well set up R3 to compare it with. Got it into the ballpark, for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Utah trip finished successfully, got home and re-sanded and cleaned the bodywork to prep it for paint.

Back from the paint shop!

All coming together! Next on the list is off to the vinyl cutter to make the accents. I'm going for a Kenny Roberts Sr. theme. Should come out pretty awesome when it's all done.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So the Armor Bodies fit well without any modifications (aside from taking the side stand off)? I saw the Hotbodies requires a **** load of work and trimming to get it to fit well. Also how are those black plastic side panels by the seat sitting there? It doesn't look like there are any screws to hold them in place.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts