Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past Sunday I went for a quick ride. I accidentally left my key in the ignition to the "on" position, and when I tried to fire it up Tuesday there was nothing. So I popped on my battery tender hoping that would put some juice in the battery so I could fire it up. After 4 hours, still nothing. I then attempt to jump it with my 2004 Accord, which allowed it to start. But after I took the jumper cables off and let it idle for a couple minutes it sputtered out and died and there's no juice left in it again. Tried jumping a couple more times with the same result. So my question is, could the battery be totally dead just by accidentally letting it drain? I bought it in July of last year, and took the battery out and stored it properly over the winter. I'm just having a hard time believing that it's completely gone. Is there something else I should be trying? And I should note, I do not have a volt meter or anything else that can check it. Would the dealer be able to check it and see if it is indeed the battery? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
My dealer told me that if I plan on allowing the bike to sit for extended periods of time, to put a battery tender on it. If the battery gets low, it can be charged and recovered but if allowed to drain completely, it cannot be recharged and would need to instead be replaced.

Yours may very well be dead and need replacing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Never stop your motor with the kill switch it's for emergency use only.It looks like you have to bite the bullet and get a new one but i'd try leaving it on the batt tender for 24 hours and see what happens.My optimate tender says it will recover a dead battery although i've never put it to the test.Good luck with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's nothing wrong with using the kill switch. All MSF courses teach you to turn off the bike with the kill switch.
+1 on this for me, its how they taught us back in 1983 as well, the kill switch is to turn the bike off, every time. As far as your battery, it seems you might need a new one, but take it Advance Auto or AutoZone and they will recharge it / test it for free

·
Registered
406 Posts
There's nothing wrong with using the kill switch. All MSF courses teach you to turn off the bike with the kill switch.
I still think it's wrong,if Quicksilver had shut his bike off with the key he wouldn't be having all this hassle.Maybe MSF have shares with battery suppliers. >:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Its a good habit to turn your bike off with the kill switch so that in an emergency when you do need to turn your engine off very quickly, hitting the killswitch is a natural reflex rather than a concious action. Reaching for the key is a more finicky motor skill and in a hurry taking your hand off the bars to reach and fiddle with a key instead of flicking a switch with your thumb could mean the difference saving a bad situation or not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Help! Ok killed the battery yesterday afternoon when I went to check the odometer and then spaced the key still in the ignition. Trying to jump start the bike with my SUV, but I get no response. Car Engine is off, all leads connected. Any further advice before I take out the battery?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2015 Yamaha R3, i'm seeing the same issue, i left the motorcycle for about 6 months untouched, the battery seems to have completely lost juice, I tried using a battery feeder to re-charge it but it fails to charge even after 24 hours. It only fires up the motorcycle after jumping it with my car and doesn't hold juice once i turn it off after 30 mins. I'm inclined towards buying a new battery, any recommendations? I don't need a fancy Lithium Ion battery, just a regular Lead Acid one works.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
i have a 2015 yamaha r3, i'm seeing the same issue, i left the motorcycle for about 6 months untouched, the battery seems to have completely lost juice, i tried using a battery feeder to re-charge it but it fails to charge even after 24 hours. It only fires up the motorcycle after jumping it with my car and doesn't hold juice once i turn it off after 30 mins. I'm inclined towards buying a new battery, any recommendations? I don't need a fancy lithium ion battery, just a regular lead acid one works.
Thanks.
download.jpg

Just take yours into a 2 wheel dealer and they can match up a lead acid for cheap.... if you want a lithium there's posts on here referencing models that work for this bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts