Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the eBay vendor couldn't get the Shorai I had ordered we agreed on the Antigravity ATZ-7 lithium ion battery as a substitute. It's also $10 cheaper. (Shorai has been having quality control problems anyway.) The bike cranks and starts faster. No surprise there. What is a surprise is that the bike seems to run better. It just feels stronger and faster. Be aware that the supplied bolts and nuts will not work because the bolts are too big for the holes in the negative and positive cables. So you'll need to use the nuts and bolts from the OEM battery. I had to use a hemostat to hold that tiny nut in position to thread in the bolt. Bring the battery up to the leads rather than try to stretch the leads to the battery. You'll have to open up the clamps to go over the terminals, too, so this installation is rather fiddly. But it's worth it, and you'll save 4 lb. I thought I could feel that too.

·
Super Moderator
1,360 Posts
Hah, I'm sure it's just placebo, other than a 4 lbs loss. Also, lithium doesn't crank as fast in the cold unless you heat it up a bit by running the lights for 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Placebo? I don't know. The bike feels a little snappier. 4 lb is not a lot, true, but the battery's near the highest point on the bike and it's behind center. Problems starting in the cold? I've heard of that but I live in San Diego so it's not a concern. A rider in CO said when it was 7 above he had no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts