Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from the bicycling world, one of the best bang-for-the-buck upgrades is to get a lighter set of wheels, as rotational weight counts even more than static weight. Every bit counts when your legs supply the power.

I don't see much about people upgrading their wheels for the R3.
Is it just lack of availability? Cost and setup headaches are a big part I'm sure, but it doesn't seem to stop people from shelling out $1000 for shocks alone.

I know there's a long thread about wider rims just so you can mount wider tires, which got panned pretty soundly. Not what I'm looking for.

Is there a lighter set of rims out there in stock size? Or would any potential weight difference just not be worth it?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I put Marchesini wheels on my R1 but it seemed more practical in that application. R3 is pretty light and the last thing I have thought is unsprung wheel weight. I am already carrying tons of corner speed.

If you were racing I could almost understand it. Just seems like pure aesthetics. Bike turns into the corners so easy already. It would feel nice I am sure.

Stock wheels are cast aluminum and not the greatest but they work.

Hit up the guys in Asia. Seems they all change their rims before anything else :)

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Galespeed has wheels for the R3 at about $750 a pop.
Thread moved from General to Parts and Accessories

1 - 3 of 3 Posts