Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 215lbs 5'8 rider and wondering if there's anyone else out there on the heavier end of the spectrum enjoying their R3 so far? I've only encountered one unfavorable heckler who actually took the time to roll down his window and call me a fat ass. I was more amazed that he was compelled to do that rather than the actual comment itself (because it's kind of true). Other than that it's been a pleasure and I don't feel limited at all. I know that smaller riders will reap additional benefit but I'm not convinced that there's any hard or fast rules on that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was about 210lbs last year standing at 5'9 riding a bike way smaller than the R3 (Look it up, CBR150 carburetor model). I looked really massive on that puny machine but who cares, i had a great time on it :laugh:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm a 215lbs 5'8 rider and wondering if there's anyone else out there on the heavier end of the spectrum enjoying their R3 so far? I've only encountered one unfavorable heckler who actually took the time to roll down his window and call me a fat ass. I was more amazed that he was compelled to do that rather than the actual comment itself (because it's kind of true). Other than that it's been a pleasure and I don't feel limited at all. I know that smaller riders will reap additional benefit but I'm not convinced that there's any hard or fast rules on that.
To **** with the idiot you called you that. You are on an R3 and he is in a bucket. You win.

I am 165lb/75kg and 5'10".
I have no issues on my bike.
It feels big and tall.
Maybe you can try to increase the pre load if you feel that the bike sags.

·
Registered
732 Posts
What a no talent ass clown-**** that guy. I'm considered "stocky." I'm 5'5" and like 165-170. So I do shop for .... "HUSKY SIZE."

I don't get into cc size wars like dick size. I was a 600 rider most of my life and the 1000+ guys would always say how meek a 600 is, and blah, blah, blah. Hearing it more as an R3 rider. Riding skills are more important than engine size, plus half the idiots I see out there have no clue about the nuances of riding-it takes a lot of skill and one should continually go over panic situation and what to do/what not to do.

Body shaming is repulsive and low class. Furthermore, never subscribed to the engine size arguments. Real riders know what matters, and for the rest, they're either ignorant, could careless (both of which are fine), or are hater/idiots.

·
Registered
24 Posts
6'1" 235lbs. I never once worried about how I looked prior to buying the R3, just how I felt on it. I've put over 1000 miles on it in the first 2 weeks and absolutely loved every one of them. The bike feels good to sit on and being able to comfortably flat foot it only inspires more confidence. Power wise I've never felt like it was struggling to get me going. I even ride 2-up with my wife on weekends and it does just fine. I've been more than impressed with what this bike has been able to do for me. Safe riding out there!

Also wear headphones so you don't have to listen to douchebags in their trucks their parents are still paying for :p

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't worry about a-holes like that! You just keep riding and enjoying the ride. You are enjoying the freedom and camaraderie that no one in a car will ever experience. My buddy who is just over 6' is about 250lbs and he takes his girlfriend on rides and he says the R3 is more than willing.

I'm almost 200lbs and only 5' 10" on a good day and I've felt that I look "big" on the R3, but the bottom line is always: "who cares what anyone else thinks"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6'1" 235lbs. I never once worried about how I looked prior to buying the R3, just how I felt on it. I've put over 1000 miles on it in the first 2 weeks and absolutely loved every one of them. The bike feels good to sit on and being able to comfortably flat foot it only inspires more confidence. Power wise I've never felt like it was struggling to get me going. I even ride 2-up with my wife on weekends and it does just fine. I've been more than impressed with what this bike has been able to do for me. Safe riding out there!

Also wear headphones so you don't have to listen to douchebags in their trucks their parents are still paying for :p
Funny you mentioned that. I'm now wearing headphones as well on longer rides. I see big riders from time to time and I never once had a negative thought about it. You know some drivers are thinking it at times but to actually yell it out your window is on a whole other level.

·
Registered
32 Posts
220lb 6'1 and no issues. I just added a little more pre-load to the rear shock and the bike is amazing on tight winding roads. I can actually out run a friend who rides a Ninja 650 in the corners, but I have no chance on the straights. He always catches up until we hit the next corner...lol

As for the @$$hat heckler; Jealously takes on many forms =P

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi, I'm 5'10" and weigh around 220lbs or more when riding my R3. Feels fine most of the time with only a little struggle starting on a hill. Otherwise, seems like what I expected.

I've loaded a 40lbs backpack to see how it would fair and it struggles too much for me to "enjoy" it.

I wonder how 140lbers feel on it, must love it since I think its designed around this ideal maybe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, I'm 5'10" and weigh around 220lbs or more when riding my R3. Feels fine most of the time with only a little struggle starting on a hill. Otherwise, seems like what I expected.

I've loaded a 40lbs backpack to see how it would fair and it struggles too much for me to "enjoy" it.

I wonder how 140lbers feel on it, must love it since I think its designed around this ideal maybe.
Back in the 90's I had a friend at over 300lbs who road a ninja 250 and while he talked about bigger bikes all the time he was very happy with the performance and took that thing everywhere. He's now mounted that bike in his garage as wall art and refers to it as his favorite bike.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm 145, 5'7". I came from a 2011 R1 to a 2014 FZ09, to the R3. No complaints here. Bike is way more fun in town and through traffic. Easy to flick around. Hardest part for me was getting used to using the higher RPM,s to get the most out of this bike. The FZ was a torque monster in lower RPM range. I've dumped about 20 lbs. off this bike witch helps too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Back in the 90's I had a friend at over 300lbs who road a ninja 250 and while he talked about bigger bikes all the time he was very happy with the performance and took that thing everywhere. He's now mounted that bike in his garage as wall art and refers to it as his favorite bike.
That's cool and something I would do especially in the man cave.
It doesn't surprise me the least either after seeing so many big guys getting out of tiny cars over the years. With my backpack/gear and the added weight it didn't feel like a flickable sportbike anymore. It felt labored and struggling even on the slightest hills. I'd myself would look towards a different bike that could make me feel more comfortable at that weight.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm 145, 5'7". I came from a 2011 R1 to a 2014 FZ09, to the R3. No complaints here. Bike is way more fun in town and through traffic. Easy to flick around. Hardest part for me was getting used to using the higher RPM,s to get the most out of this bike. The FZ was a torque monster in lower RPM range. I've dumped about 20 lbs. off this bike witch helps too.
Yep, must be perfect for you.

I don't remember seeing if you did the R6 throttle change to your bike???

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yep, must be perfect for you.

I don't remember seeing if you did the R6 throttle change to your bike???
It was one of my 1st mods. Yep, if it had 15-20 more HP this bike would be Titts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It was one of my 1st mods. Yep, if it had 15-20 more HP this bike would be Titts.
It's on my to-do list soon.

As far as your second sentence, agreed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts