Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been thinking of getting more out here and maybe run a nitrous kit
Question is this bike it's to new but would another kit work? I wouldn't mind getting another 30hp ? anyone know..

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I can bet money no one will be producing a kit specific for the R3

30hp would be nearly a 75% increase over stock power for the base 42hp this motor makes.... if you want your motor to only last for one or two shots of nitrous go right ahead and put a generic kit on there.

Nitrous shots with that much of an increase in power requires hardened internals to be sure your motor doesnt crater... last thing I'd want is to be riding two wheels with a 30 shot of nitrous on a stock 42hp motor, hit the nitrous and have the head explode off the motor, or a piston/rod come through the block.

Even turbo/supercharging would be likely out of the question with the stock 11.2 to 1 compression.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol I can only imagine that �� I was told 12hp increase this R3 will be enough

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I think because the R3 is both relatively new and few are racing it, not many besides the factory guys know what kind of power the motor can handle before it takes a dump. Assuming some reasonable safety factor in the engine design, an extra 10-15 is probably do-able - but what does it take to get there? Improved exhaust and fuel mapping could get you 2-4 hp, which isn't much but still 5-10%. Ported and polished heads, maybe bump the compression a bit, reset cam timing, get another 5 hp. Race gas, maybe another hp, so now you're near 10 hp. Nitrous - maybe - someone will do it at some point, and it'll either be a beast or a grenade.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I say go for it but before you start shooting you will need a PCV to adjust the fuel map and timing for it, then use race fuel on top of that.
I say go with a 10 hp shot.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Extended swing arm is next?

Reactions: Aufitt
1 - 8 of 8 Posts