Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just ordered the R6 throttle tube, and was wondering if there are any youtube videos available, or write-up that I could follow?

Or is this simple enough that I really don't need one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
The R3 and FZ-07 are pretty close to indetical for install.
Follow this vid and you shouldn't have any problem.

Also, if you buy the throttle tube with the grip already installed, you won't have to deal with removing your grip and reinstalling it on the new tube

·
Registered
732 Posts
Shouldn't be too bad. The bar end weights are held inside with a tab, and you have to play around to get the end weights off. You can use an impact wrench, or use an allan wrench or allan type socket, and keep the weight stationary inside the handlebar so everything doesn't keep spinning and spinning. The weight is held inside the bar with clips that push outward into holes in the handlebar. You don;t need to remove the weights and they're tricky as the clip tabs can easily break, and you'll probably need to order new ones in order to keep the weights and additionally bar ends inside the handlebar.

Now, IIRC, it's two bolts that hold down the right side controls. YOu basically remove the controls which are wrapped around the handlebar clamshell style. The throttle tube sits inside the outer wall. The throttle cable will be the tricky part. THey're like any clutch or bicycle brake cable. A cable in a cable sheath with the end weight/tab on it. It keeps the cable anchored inside the throttle tube. And you just put everything back together. You shouldn't have to mess with the brake lever or reservoir.

Jesse's clip-on thread has some steps in the area that should help. Just perused Jesse's @jbluetooth's Clip-ON How-To. A bunch of steps are relevant to what you have to do to get the new throttle tube in. Just go slowly and methodically, and you'll be good.

http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2016/03/install-aftermarket-clipons-yamaha-r3/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I'll check those links. I actually bought mine on yamahar3racing.com. I didn't get it yet, as Jesse sends me an email saying he's out of town, and wont be back till next week.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Well, the good news is that the one Jesse sells already has the R3 grip on it.
If you're able to get a good grip and angle on things, and get the cables engaged without them fighting you (put slack in the line first like the video suggests), it's all of a 5 minute install.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm from India and I've done this mod, along with that changed coolant to engine ice. That time I've changed to motul 7100 as well. Now I've this horrible vibrations, changed back to yamalube but no use. I've changed throttle tube from a local shop, he had difficulty in putting it but somehow managed to put with lot of force.

Any idea why I feel harsh engine and vibes?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I'm from India and I've done this mod, along with that changed coolant to engine ice. That time I've changed to motul 7100 as well. Now I've this horrible vibrations, changed back to yamalube but no use. I've changed throttle tube from a local shop, he had difficulty in putting it but somehow managed to put with lot of force.

Any idea why I feel harsh engine and vibes?
If your mechanic had trouble installing the throttle tube and needed to use a lot of force, I'd strongly recommend a different mechanic.

As for vibes, once my bike had it's break-in oil removed and regular oil put in, the vibes quadrupled. I can't stand the vibes through my bars.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
As for vibes, once my bike had it's break-in oil removed and regular oil put in, the vibes quadrupled. I can't stand the vibes through my bars.
I thought it was just me - but I found the same thing. I put on these grip covers from amazon that helped quite a bit and Evotech bar ends (but I'm not sure which helped more as I put them both on at the same time.)

I wonder if changing oil brands would make a difference?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I thought it was just me - but I found the same thing. I put on these grip covers from amazon that helped quite a bit and Evotech bar ends (but I'm not sure which helped more as I put them both on at the same time.)

I wonder if changing oil brands would make a difference?
I have weighted bar ends and the grip sleeves as well but my hands are still completely numb after my 50 mile commute. And no, I'm not death gripping. It's just way too "vibey".
I seriously can't stand it and it's one major reason why I'm currently looking for a different bike.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have weighted bar ends and the grip sleeves as well but my hands are still completely numb after my 50 mile commute. And no, I'm not death gripping. It's just way too "vibey".
I seriously can't stand it and it's one major reason why I'm currently looking for a different bike.
This is one of the reasons I upgraded as well, I'd hardly be gripping the bars on highway and the vibrations at the bars were ridiculous at 70-80mph. Hands were always numb after a long highway ride.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well Sh*t , I thought you people never had vibes issues and I was thinking it due to the problem of local assembly here in India. Anyway every R3 as far as I understand have vibes between certain RPM ( 5-7 something) but I was not bothered for the same until now. After changing back to yamalube vibes seems lessened. It might be the chain or something, do you measure the slack when someone (me) sitting on the bike or without?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got my R6 throttle tube installed, however, I have a small dilemma. I have no throttle free-play now. Is that normal for anyone else who has installed this mod? My adjustment is fully to the loose side and have no free play at all. I am just not sure about a test ride until I get some kind of advice on this mod.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got my R6 throttle tube installed, however, I have a small dilemma. I have no throttle free-play now. Is that normal for anyone else who has installed this mod? My adjustment is fully to the loose side and have no free play at all. I am just not sure about a test ride until I get some kind of advice on this mod.
turn the bike on with the handlebars straight, listen for the idle if it's normal.. now turn your handle bars as far as they will go to the left, does the idle change? turn the handle bars as far as they will go to the right, does the idle change?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did all that you mentioned and nothing changes. I have since taken it out riding and I am liking the feel of a faster throttle. Thank you for your reply. It is nice to have folks on here who share their knowledge with other riders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Use Bar end weights and it will reduce the vibrations I have done it on several bikes it works buy the weights specific to your model and branded once costs $70-80
I have big hands and throttle is thin causes the veins near your thumb to restrict flow of blood causing numbness add grip puppies solves the issue can ride for hours I ride 8-9 hrs no issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts